XP Home - Can't Audit - no Local Security Policy

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I have XP Home. When I run MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser) it
tells me I should have auditing enabled and to correct that, I should go
into CP/Admin Tools/Local Security Policy. But when I do so, LSP is not
there. It is not a component under Add/Remove Windows Components.
I am at a loss to work out where and how I can access and activate LSP. I
assume it is installed on my PC, a Dell which came with XP
pre-installed. Advice/solutions???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I think that MBSA program was designed for XP Professional and because of
that there are limitations when used in XP Home.

Frank

"Xylophone" <m-rharrison@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have XP Home. When I run MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser) it
> tells me I should have auditing enabled and to correct that, I should go
> into CP/Admin Tools/Local Security Policy. But when I do so, LSP is not
> there. It is not a component under Add/Remove Windows Components.
> I am at a loss to work out where and how I can access and activate LSP. I
> assume it is installed on my PC, a Dell which came with XP
> pre-installed. Advice/solutions???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Local Security Policy is secpol.msc. Secpol.msc does not come with XP Home.
gpedit.msc which is Group Policy does not come with XP Home either.

Local Users and Groups (lusrmgr.msc) comes with XP Home, but this has
limited use. If you try to access Local Users and Groups (Local) with XP
Home, you will get...

[[This computer is running Windows XP Home Edition. This snapin may not be
used with that version of Windows. To manage user accounts for this
computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel]]

There are other limitations that XP Home also has. That's why it costs
less. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:uje94wj9EHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Xylophone <m-rharrison@tiscali.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
> I have XP Home. When I run MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security
> Analyser) it tells me I should have auditing enabled and to correct
> that, I should go into CP/Admin Tools/Local Security Policy. But
> when I do so, LSP is not there. It is not a component under
> Add/Remove Windows Components.
> I am at a loss to work out where and how I can access and activate
> LSP. I assume it is installed on my PC, a Dell which came with XP
> pre-installed. Advice/solutions???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Thanks, guys. Does what you say mean you can't audit in XP Home?

> Local Security Policy is secpol.msc. Secpol.msc does not come with XP
Home.
> gpedit.msc which is Group Policy does not come with XP Home either.
>
> Local Users and Groups (lusrmgr.msc) comes with XP Home, but this has
> limited use. If you try to access Local Users and Groups (Local) with XP
> Home, you will get...
>
> [[This computer is running Windows XP Home Edition. This snapin may not
be
> used with that version of Windows. To manage user accounts for this
> computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel]]
>
> There are other limitations that XP Home also has. That's why it costs
> less. ;-)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:uje94wj9EHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Xylophone <m-rharrison@tiscali.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
> > I have XP Home. When I run MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security
> > Analyser) it tells me I should have auditing enabled and to correct
> > that, I should go into CP/Admin Tools/Local Security Policy. But
> > when I do so, LSP is not there. It is not a component under
> > Add/Remove Windows Components.
> > I am at a loss to work out where and how I can access and activate
> > LSP. I assume it is installed on my PC, a Dell which came with XP
> > pre-installed. Advice/solutions???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I do not have XP Home installed, so it's hard to verify.

Type audit in the Search box in Help and Support and see what it returns.

Also look up audit in Help in the Event Viewer.

[[As an administrator of a Windows XP Professional-based computer, you can
configure your computer to audit user access to files, folders and printers.
This facility is unavailable on Windows XP Home Edition.]]

How To Audit User Access of Files, Folders, and Printers in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310399

auditing
[[The process that tracks the activities of users by recording selected
types of events in the security log of a server or a workstation.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:u7Fimbn9EHA.1408@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Xylophone <m-rharrison@tiscali.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks, guys. Does what you say mean you can't audit in XP Home?

>> Local Security Policy is secpol.msc. Secpol.msc does not come with
>> XP Home. gpedit.msc which is Group Policy does not come with XP Home
>> either.
>>
>> Local Users and Groups (lusrmgr.msc) comes with XP Home, but this has
>> limited use. If you try to access Local Users and Groups (Local)
>> with XP Home, you will get...
>>
>> [[This computer is running Windows XP Home Edition. This snapin may
>> not be used with that version of Windows. To manage user accounts
>> for this computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel]]
>>
>> There are other limitations that XP Home also has. That's why it
>> costs less. ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:uje94wj9EHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>> Xylophone <m-rharrison@tiscali.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
>>> I have XP Home. When I run MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security
>>> Analyser) it tells me I should have auditing enabled and to correct
>>> that, I should go into CP/Admin Tools/Local Security Policy. But
>>> when I do so, LSP is not there. It is not a component under
>>> Add/Remove Windows Components.
>>> I am at a loss to work out where and how I can access and activate
>>> LSP. I assume it is installed on my PC, a Dell which came with XP
>>> pre-installed. Advice/solutions???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

You should see the problem I had with mbsa, I finally gave up on it as not
intended for XP Home. There is a special MS usenet group called
microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer, I posted my problem there and
nobody answered it for a week, then I got a ridiculous answer about how I
need to reduce the network lag-time between my system and the system being
scanned, duh, the system being scanned is the same system that is running
the tool --- my standalone XPHome system!! And these guys put on their
But if you want to post your question there and wait a week for a response
the URL for the MS nntp server is Msnews.microsoft.com
IMHO mbsa either isn't ready for prime time, or was never intended for xp
home.

"Xylophone" <m-rharrison@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have XP Home. When I run MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser) it
> tells me I should have auditing enabled and to correct that, I should go
> into CP/Admin T

ools/Local Security Policy. But when I do so, LSP is not
> there. It is not a component under Add/Remove Windows Components.
> I am at a loss to work out where and how I can access and activate LSP. I
> assume it is installed on my PC, a Dell which came with XP
> pre-installed. Advice/solutions???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Tom, I have no problem with MBSA. It runs and repoprts all sorts of useful
stuff. My problem is it refers to Local Security Policy. The other
contributors to this thread indicate LSP is not intended for XP Home. If
so, end of story. Sothansk for the other NG, which I had not picked up on.
Will post there and await results.

"Tom H" <th54@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You should see the problem I had with mbsa, I finally gave up on it as not
> intended for XP Home. There is a special MS usenet group called
> microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer, I posted my problem there and
> nobody answered it for a week, then I got a ridiculous answer about how I
> need to reduce the network lag-time between my system and the system being
> scanned, duh, the system being scanned is the same system that is running
> the tool --- my standalone XPHome system!! And these guys put on their
> But if you want to post your question there and wait a week for a response
> the URL for the MS nntp server is Msnews.microsoft.com
> IMHO mbsa either isn't ready for prime time, or was never intended for xp
> home.
>

> "Xylophone" <m-rharrison@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> >I have XP Home. When I run MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser)
it
> > tells me I should have auditing enabled and to correct that, I should go
> > into CP/Admin T
>

> ools/Local Security Policy. But when I do so, LSP is not
> > there. It is not a component under Add/Remove Windows Components.
> > I am at a loss to work out where and how I can access and activate LSP.
> > assume it is installed on my PC, a Dell which came with XP
> > pre-installed. Advice/solutions???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I do not use Home edition. I do know that the local security
policy interface is not just excluded but also prevented from
starting if you were to copy it into Home from Pro.
Now, do the searches on "audit" or such, as I seem to recall
an interface doc'd that allowed Home edition to have its
auditing policy set/adjusted.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> Tom, I have no problem with MBSA. It runs and repoprts all sorts of
useful
> stuff. My problem is it refers to Local Security Policy. The other
> contributors to this thread indicate LSP is not intended for XP Home. If
> so, end of story. Sothansk for the other NG, which I had not picked up
on.
> Will post there and await results.
>
> "Tom H" <th54@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > You should see the problem I had with mbsa, I finally gave up on it as
not
> > intended for XP Home. There is a special MS usenet group called
> > microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer, I posted my problem there
and
> > nobody answered it for a week, then I got a ridiculous answer about how
> > need to reduce the network lag-time between my system and the system
being
> > scanned, duh, the system being scanned is the same system that is
running
> > the tool --- my standalone XPHome system!! And these guys put on their
> > But if you want to post your question there and wait a week for a
response
> > the URL for the MS nntp server is Msnews.microsoft.com
> > IMHO mbsa either isn't ready for prime time, or was never intended for
xp
> > home.
> >

> > "Xylophone" <m-rharrison@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> > >I have XP Home. When I run MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser)
> it
> > > tells me I should have auditing enabled and to correct that, I should
go
> > > into CP/Admin T
> >

> > ools/Local Security Policy. But when I do so, LSP is not
> > > there. It is not a component under Add/Remove Windows Components.
> > > I am at a loss to work out where and how I can access and activate
LSP.
> > > assume it is installed on my PC, a Dell which came with XP
> > > pre-installed. Advice/solutions???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Roger I have used XP Home in the past.

Local Users and Groups (lusrmgr.msc) comes with XP Home, but this has
limited use. If you try to access Local Users and Groups (Local) with XP
Home, you will get this message...

[[This computer is running Windows XP Home Edition. This snapin may not be
used with that version of Windows. To manage user accounts for this
computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel]]

At least with XP Home SP1(a). I have no idea what SP2 does.
---

Just like control userpasswords2 works in XP Home but can cause problems...

[[The userpasswords2 applet should not be used on WINDOWS XP Home Edition as
a tool to edit or modify users. It is reserved for WINDOWS XP Professional
Edition. The reason for this is that userpasswords2 allows the user to
access to the 'Power Users' group which doesn't exist on WINDOWS XP Home
Edition.]]

This is KB817365 which for some reason has been pulled from MS-KB.
Although I have a copy and this is the same as KB817365.
Creation of user in the 'Power Users' group with 'Control Userpasswords2'
http://www.it-faq.pl/mskb/817/365.HTM

In news:%23XKCVZo9EHA.3260@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Roger Abell <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> hunted and pecked:
> I do not use Home edition. I do know that the local security
> policy interface is not just excluded but also prevented from
> starting if you were to copy it into Home from Pro.
> Now, do the searches on "audit" or such, as I seem to recall
> an interface doc'd that allowed Home edition to have its
> auditing policy set/adjusted.
>
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> "Xylophone" <m-rharrison@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Tom, I have no problem with MBSA. It runs and repoprts all sorts of
>> useful stuff. My problem is it refers to Local Security Policy.
>> The other contributors to this thread indicate LSP is not intended
>> for XP Home. If so, end of story. Sothansk for the other NG, which
>> I had not picked up on. Will post there and await results.
>>
>> "Tom H" <th54@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> You should see the problem I had with mbsa, I finally gave up on it
>>> as not intended for XP Home. There is a special MS usenet group
>>> called microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer, I posted my
>>> problem there and nobody answered it for a week, then I got a
>>> ridiculous answer about how I need to reduce the network lag-time
>>> between my system and the system being scanned, duh, the system
>>> being scanned is the same system that is running the tool --- my
>>> standalone XPHome system!! And these guys put on their responses
>>> fancy acronyms like MVP MSFT, blah blah ...
>>> But if you want to post your question there and wait a week for a
>>> response the URL for the MS nntp server is Msnews.microsoft.com
>>> IMHO mbsa either isn't ready for prime time, or was never intended
>>> for xp home.
>>>

>>> "Xylophone" <m-rharrison@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>

>>> ools/Local Security Policy. But when I do so, LSP is not

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Wes,

Thanks for this. Did as you advised. Audit in Event Viewer Help took me so
far, to a Console and a snap-in, then it talked about a Group Policy, but on
following this, I could not see Group Policy, but I could see Local Users
and Groups. So I clicked on that, when told my version of Windows not use
this, instead, to manage accounts, go to Control Panel/User Accounts. So it
is the case XP Home does not use Local Security Policy. So end of story,
after all. So thanks to all concerned.

> I do not have XP Home installed, so it's hard to verify.
>
> Type audit in the Search box in Help and Support and see what it returns.
>
> Also look up audit in Help in the Event Viewer.
>
> [[As an administrator of a Windows XP Professional-based computer, you can
> configure your computer to audit user access to files, folders and
printers.
> This facility is unavailable on Windows XP Home Edition.]]
>
> How To Audit User Access of Files, Folders, and Printers in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310399
>
> auditing
> [[The process that tracks the activities of users by recording selected
> types of events in the security log of a server or a workstation.]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:u7Fimbn9EHA.1408@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Xylophone <m-rharrison@tiscali.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
> > Thanks, guys. Does what you say mean you can't audit in XP Home?
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Local Security Policy is secpol.msc. Secpol.msc does not come with
> >> XP Home. gpedit.msc which is Group Policy does not come with XP Home
> >> either.
> >>
> >> Local Users and Groups (lusrmgr.msc) comes with XP Home, but this has
> >> limited use. If you try to access Local Users and Groups (Local)
> >> with XP Home, you will get...
> >>
> >> [[This computer is running Windows XP Home Edition. This snapin may
> >> not be used with that version of Windows. To manage user accounts
> >> for this computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel]]
> >>
> >> There are other limitations that XP Home also has. That's why it
> >> costs less. ;-)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >> Wes
> >>
> >> In news:uje94wj9EHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> >> Xylophone <m-rharrison@tiscali.co.uk> hunted and pecked:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I think (but I've not checked it) that most of the settings in the Local
Security Policy tool are stored as simple registry keys/values. In this
case, you can find out which registry key it is, either by changing the
setting on a WinXP Pro while running regmon from
http://www.sysinternals.com/, or by digging into MS' documentation (there
are some very exhaustive descriptions of some parts of the registry, in the
technet).