opinions: radeon 9500 pro & linux

Paul

Splendid

Hi all,
I'm looking at buying a second hand 9500 pro (128mb) and was wondering what
people's opinions are of the card, it's linux compatability and what a
reasonable market value is (in UKP preferably ^_^)
TIA

Paul

Radeon 9500 pros are discontinued by ATI and replaced by the (slightly slower but cheaper to
manufacture) 9600 pro. they are difficult to find new, but you can have a look for second hand ones
on www.ebay.co.uk and search for '9500 pro'. going rate seems to be 50.00 (they were - and still
are - a good DX9 card, and that coupled with low availability seems to have kept the asking price
up). dont know about linux though.

Sensible entry level (as in 'will work ok with this years games' with lots of eye candy switched
on') now for a Radeon is the 9800 pro, which has come down a *lot* in price, so you may consider
that instead if you want a new card. Its what I run with at the moment. Because 9500 pro rarity is
keeping second hand prices up, you might also consider a new 9600 pro. Typical benchmarks for high
end games (far cry) showing the ATI range here
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_ati/page7.asp from my own experience of both cards
(using the far cry demo), 9800 pro is good, but 9500 pro is not too shabby if you drop a res or do
without AA. Never used a 9600, so couldnt say for that.

finally, I have a 9500 pro sitting in my cupboard of PC bits... unlocked for OC and with an artic
cooler installed. If you are still adamant it has to be a 9500 pro and have no luck getting hold of
one, drop me a line offlist.

Paul wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm looking at buying a second hand 9500 pro (128mb) and was
> wondering what people's opinions are of the card, it's linux
> compatability and what a reasonable market value is (in UKP
> preferably ^_^)
> TIA
>
> Paul

Paul

Splendid

> 9500 pro is not too
> shabby if you drop a res or do
> without AA.

that's cool, i'm used to being at the bottom of the benchmarking table!
(currently own a GForce4 MX440)

> finally, I have a 9500 pro sitting in my cupboard of PC bits... unlocked
> for OC and with an artic
> cooler installed. If you are still adamant it has to be a 9500 pro and
> have no luck getting hold of one, drop me a line offlist.

the reason i ask is because i have the opportunity of buying one, for
£50....i think i'll go for it :)
Thanks for your help!
Paul

Paul <nospam@my.house> wrote in message news:<c7rnkb$cvf$1@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>...
> > 9500 pro is not too
> > shabby if you drop a res or do
> > without AA.
>
> that's cool, i'm used to being at the bottom of the benchmarking table!
> (currently own a GForce4 MX440)
>
> > finally, I have a 9500 pro sitting in my cupboard of PC bits... unlocked
> > for OC and with an artic
> > cooler installed. If you are still adamant it has to be a 9500 pro and
> > have no luck getting hold of one, drop me a line offlist.
>
> the reason i ask is because i have the opportunity of buying one, for
> £50....i think i'll go for it :)
> Thanks for your help!
> Paul

50 pound for a 9500 Pro? That is a steal!

I bought my 9500 Pro for 150 Euro and..well that was then a suitable price.

> that's cool, i'm used to being at the bottom of the benchmarking table!
> (currently own a GForce4 MX440)

A word of warning: Grap onto your seat firmly, when you first set-up drivers
and launch a heavy game! You might be blown clean through the roof by the
performance difference you'll get.

I own 9600SE and mob.9600pro. While SE is just OK at 1024res with noAA in
2002 and older games, 9600pro is a very decent card by todays standard.