How to disable ability to install programs for members of ..

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Or, putting it differently - how to allow to run only programs that are
ALREADY installed on the hard drive (disallow Autorun/etc, ablitity to run
programs from CD/Floppy, IE plugins, etc) ? I understand that Users group
has some limitations, but this is not enough

I am trying to secure Windows XP Pro computer for my parents, they don't
need to install/run any prorams besides those that are already there (I do
this myself whenever required). So this is not the situation when user will
try to circumvent these limitations.

Malke

Nobody wrote:

> Or, putting it differently - how to allow to run only programs that
> are ALREADY installed on the hard drive (disallow Autorun/etc,
> ablitity to run programs from CD/Floppy, IE plugins, etc) ? I
> understand that Users group has some limitations, but this is not
> enough
>
> I am trying to secure Windows XP Pro computer for my parents, they
> don't need to install/run any prorams besides those that are already
> there (I do this myself whenever required). So this is not the
> situation when user will try to circumvent these limitations.

Make a new user group and call it something like "Parents". Set up
whatever privileges/permissions you want using the Group Policy Editor
(Start>Run gpedit.msc [enter]). Look particularly under Administrative
Templates. After you've set up the group to your liking, add your
parents as members of that group. Make sure you also add yourself and
the Administrator as members!

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell