i did a clean sweep on my laptop and now i cannot access
encrypted files on my ext hdd what can i do

Did you back-up the necessary files BEFORE formatting?
If not, your data may effectively be gone for good:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"chuckles_2004" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i did a clean sweep on my laptop and now i cannot access
> encrypted files on my ext hdd what can i do

If you know what the pw was, you stand a good chance ...

"chuckles_2004" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i did a clean sweep on my laptop and now i cannot access
> encrypted files on my ext hdd what can i do

The password will not do any good without the necessary files if EFS was
used.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Tom H" <th54@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you know what the pw was, you stand a good chance ...

With the correct pw the files can be regnerated.

> The password will not do any good without the necessary files if EFS was
> used.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Tom H" <th54@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> If you know what the pw was, you stand a good chance ...

Tom;
Not if the files are encrypted.
Otherwise EFS would be worthless.
EFS is very secure when use properly.

Do not confuse EFS with NTFS Permissions.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]