Uninstalled Nortons & Microsoft Word Problem

January 9, 2005 6:31:05 PM

I uninstalled Norton's Antivirus and am now getting the following message:
"Norton Antivirus 2005 does not support the repair feature, please uninstall
and reinstall." This also happens with Excel. Norton Support was of no
help. Any suggestions would be appreciated
--
Fran
Anonymous

This happens when you open a Word or Excel file ?
Try disabling system services and startup items in msconfig and check if the
problem is still present.
You should also check if you still have Norton, Symantec or smth like that
present in your Program Files.
If you do, unregister dlls in that directory. e.g;

"Fran" <fmeichler@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I uninstalled Norton's Antivirus and am now getting the following message:
> "Norton Antivirus 2005 does not support the repair feature, please
> uninstall
> and reinstall." This also happens with Excel. Norton Support was of no
> help. Any suggestions would be appreciated
> --
> Fran
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 9:53:09 PM

Sorry for incomplete first post, little quick on Ctrl+Enter :-)

Does this happen when you open a Word or Excel file ?
Try disabling system services and startup items in msconfig and check if the
problem is still present.
You should also check if you still have Norton, Symantec or smth like that
present in your Program Files.
If you do, unregister dlls in that directory. e.g;

Regsvr32 -U "C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\OfficeAV.dll"

For direct e-mailing remove "-spam" from my e-mail address
--
Best Regards,
Matija Hrovat

"Fran" <fmeichler@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I uninstalled Norton's Antivirus and am now getting the following message:
> "Norton Antivirus 2005 does not support the repair feature, please
> uninstall
> and reinstall." This also happens with Excel. Norton Support was of no
> help. Any suggestions would be appreciated
> --
> Fran
Related resources
January 11, 2005 9:53:10 PM

Yes to Word and Excel files. System services disabled prior to post, still
clean. Program Files vacant of folders Symantec, Norton, etc. Tried search
for officeav.dll and found nothing. Would disable in reg if I knew which
file name or folder location. Thanks for help so far.
Fran

"Matija Hrovat" wrote:

> Sorry for incomplete first post, little quick on Ctrl+Enter :-)
>
> Does this happen when you open a Word or Excel file ?
> Try disabling system services and startup items in msconfig and check if the
> problem is still present.
> You should also check if you still have Norton, Symantec or smth like that
> present in your Program Files.
> If you do, unregister dlls in that directory. e.g;
>
> Regsvr32 -U "C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\OfficeAV.dll"

> For direct e-mailing remove "-spam" from my e-mail address
> --
> Best Regards,
> Matija Hrovat
>

> "Fran" <fmeichler@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I uninstalled Norton's Antivirus and am now getting the following message:
> > "Norton Antivirus 2005 does not support the repair feature, please
> > uninstall
> > and reinstall." This also happens with Excel. Norton Support was of no
> > help. Any suggestions would be appreciated
> > --
> > Fran

January 11, 2005 9:53:11 PM

By accident, I found Windows Installer Cleanup which I opened. I found and
deleted Norton and Symantec references. This took care of the problem.
Thanks for your help.

!