XP Home: how do I manage NTFS permissions

Tags:
  • Security
  • Windows XP
  • Permissions
a b 8 Security
January 10, 2005 11:43:16 AM

Just bought two new DELL Dim 3000 running XP Home. I have always run Pro (or
200 or NT) and have difficulty with Home's idea of simple file sharing.

How do I gain access to the Properties...Security tab in XP home? I need to
grant a "limited access" account the ability to write to a folder and it's
subfolders.

Many thanks

Keith

More about : home manage ntfs permissions

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 10, 2005 11:43:17 AM

How Do I Get the Security tab in Folder Properties?
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_security_tab.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Keith-Earl" wrote:

| Just bought two new DELL Dim 3000 running XP Home. I have always run Pro (or
| 200 or NT) and have difficulty with Home's idea of simple file sharing.
|
| How do I gain access to the Properties...Security tab in XP home? I need to
| grant a "limited access" account the ability to write to a folder and it's
| subfolders.
|
| Many thanks
|
| Keith
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 10, 2005 11:56:58 AM

Thanks Carey. I am really comfortable with this:
Third, if you're running XP Home, Simple File Sharing is enforced by default
and cannot be disabled. You must boot the computer into Safe Mode and log
in with the Administrator account, in order to see the Security tab. A work
around for XP Home, so that you don't have to enter Safe Mode, can be found
here.

Just to be clear, I do not have "the" Administrator account, only an account
"MyAccount" with full admin rights. When I went into Safe mode I did not see
the tab. Where should I look?

This second option is a little scary. Doug suggests we load an NT 4 Utility
on XP? Not sure if I want to do that.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

> How Do I Get the Security tab in Folder Properties?
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_security_tab.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> "Keith-Earl" wrote:
>
> | Just bought two new DELL Dim 3000 running XP Home. I have always run Pro
> (or
> | 200 or NT) and have difficulty with Home's idea of simple file sharing.
> |
> | How do I gain access to the Properties...Security tab in XP home? I
> need to
> | grant a "limited access" account the ability to write to a folder and
> it's
> | subfolders.
> |
> | Many thanks
> |
> | Keith

Related resources
March 13, 2005 10:11:03 PM

I am having the same issue and I tried to go to the link. It goes to the NT
page and has the links but they do not work. Do you know of another way I can
get this file to download for setting permissions in XP Home?

Thank you

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> How Do I Get the Security tab in Folder Properties?
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_security_tab.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> "Keith-Earl" wrote:
>
> | Just bought two new DELL Dim 3000 running XP Home. I have always run Pro (or
> | 200 or NT) and have difficulty with Home's idea of simple file sharing.
> |
> | How do I gain access to the Properties...Security tab in XP home? I need to
> | grant a "limited access" account the ability to write to a folder and it's
> | subfolders.
> |
> | Many thanks
> |
> | Keith

March 14, 2005 7:56:45 AM

Mike wrote:

> I am having the same issue and I tried to go to the link. It goes to
> the NT page and has the links but they do not work. Do you know of
> another way I can get this file to download for setting permissions in
> XP Home?
>
> Thank you
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> How Do I Get the Security tab in Folder Properties?
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_security_tab.htm

Try just going to the main page - http://www.dougknox.com/index.html and
from there click on the link for Doug's Security Console.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com