XP Home: how do I manage NTFS permissions

Just bought two new DELL Dim 3000 running XP Home. I have always run Pro (or
200 or NT) and have difficulty with Home's idea of simple file sharing.

How do I gain access to the Properties...Security tab in XP home? I need to
grant a "limited access" account the ability to write to a folder and it's
subfolders.

Many thanks

Keith
4 answers Last reply
More about home manage ntfs permissions

    How Do I Get the Security tab in Folder Properties?
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_security_tab.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Keith-Earl" wrote:

    | Just bought two new DELL Dim 3000 running XP Home. I have always run Pro (or
    | 200 or NT) and have difficulty with Home's idea of simple file sharing.
    |
    | How do I gain access to the Properties...Security tab in XP home? I need to
    | grant a "limited access" account the ability to write to a folder and it's
    | subfolders.
    |
    | Many thanks
    |
    | Keith

    Thanks Carey. I am really comfortable with this:
    Third, if you're running XP Home, Simple File Sharing is enforced by default
    and cannot be disabled. You must boot the computer into Safe Mode and log
    in with the Administrator account, in order to see the Security tab. A work
    around for XP Home, so that you don't have to enter Safe Mode, can be found
    here.

    Just to be clear, I do not have "the" Administrator account, only an account
    "MyAccount" with full admin rights. When I went into Safe mode I did not see
    the tab. Where should I look?

    This second option is a little scary. Doug suggests we load an NT 4 Utility
    on XP? Not sure if I want to do that.
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

    > How Do I Get the Security tab in Folder Properties?
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_security_tab.htm
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Keith-Earl" wrote:
    >
    > | Just bought two new DELL Dim 3000 running XP Home. I have always run Pro
    > (or
    > | 200 or NT) and have difficulty with Home's idea of simple file sharing.
    > |
    > | How do I gain access to the Properties...Security tab in XP home? I
    > need to
    > | grant a "limited access" account the ability to write to a folder and
    > it's
    > | subfolders.
    > |
    > | Many thanks
    > |
    > | Keith

    I am having the same issue and I tried to go to the link. It goes to the NT
    page and has the links but they do not work. Do you know of another way I can
    get this file to download for setting permissions in XP Home?

    Thank you

    Mike wrote:

    > I am having the same issue and I tried to go to the link. It goes to
    > the NT page and has the links but they do not work. Do you know of
    > another way I can get this file to download for setting permissions in
    > XP Home?
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> How Do I Get the Security tab in Folder Properties?
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_security_tab.htm

    Try just going to the main page - http://www.dougknox.com/index.html and
    from there click on the link for Doug's Security Console.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com