Just so you know :)

www.ati.com
31 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
    news:8pxoc.82423$BD3.10061435@juliett.dax.net...
    > Just so you know :)
    >
    > www.ati.com

    Downloading them on my lousy dial-up connection as we speak! Only 1
    hour left to go! :-)

    Downloaded... Installed... and they're clean as a whistle. Haven't done any
    benchmarking or extensive analyses, but from what I can tell so far, no
    better/no worse that 4.4's.

    Though I was looking forward to having GUI control over temporal AA settings
    and unfortunately it's not in this release.

    "NightSky 421" <nightsky421@no-mail-please.com> wrote in message
    > "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
    > > Just so you know :)
    > >
    > > www.ati.com
    > >

    > Downloading them on my lousy dial-up connection as we speak! Only 1
    > hour left to go! :-)

    "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
    > Just so you know :)
    >
    > www.ati.com

    Thanks Asestar but there's nothing in there that I need fixed. I'll wait
    and see what others say about whether these are an improvement of the 4.4
    omega's :-)

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 00:30:25 +0100, "Shawk"
    <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> waffled on about something:

    >"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
    >> Just so you know :)
    >>
    >> www.ati.com
    >>

    >Thanks Asestar but there's nothing in there that I need fixed. I'll wait
    >and see what others say about whether these are an improvement of the 4.4
    >omega's :-)

    Exactly.

    If it's not going to fix something, then why change and risk a
    breakage.

    D0d6y.
    --
    MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

    Just like with Catalyst 4.4, 4.5 crashes SWG for me, when I task out and
    task back in. So it's back to 4.3 for me.

    Asestar wrote:

    > Just so you know :)
    >
    > www.ati.com

    Well, BF:Vietnam runs as smooth as silk now with AA & AF (1600X1200).
    Damn, have to look for another excuse to upgrade this 9700Pro now *8D

    Minotaur (8*

    > Well, BF:Vietnam runs as smooth as silk now with AA & AF (1600X1200).

    Could be wrong, but I think they simply disabled AA in the drivers as a
    fix.

    rms

    Minotaur left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > Well, BF:Vietnam runs as smooth as silk now with AA & AF (1600X1200).
    > Damn, have to look for another excuse to upgrade this 9700Pro now *8D

    I have problems running BFV at it's highest detail settings, no AA/AF at
    1600x1200 on my 9800 Pro. It drops FPS severely around certain objects
    - bushes, flag poles etc.

    Were these the sort of problems you were experiencing and did these
    drivers fix it?
    --
    Stoneskin

    [Insert sig text here]

    "Minotaur" <antnel@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Well, BF:Vietnam runs as smooth as silk now with AA & AF (1600X1200).
    > Damn, have to look for another excuse to upgrade this 9700Pro now *8D
    >
    > Minotaur (8*

    LOL, it's always nice when you can hang onto a card for a couple of
    years and it's still good for all of the games out there!

    "Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Just like with Catalyst 4.4, 4.5 crashes SWG for me, when I task out and
    > task back in. So it's back to 4.3 for me.

    Hm, when I uninstalled all drivers, removed all traces of ATi drivers,
    directories and registry entries and then reinstalled Omega 4.3, it didn't
    fix the problem. So I restored my system to the point before I installed
    Catalyst 3.5 and no crashes with SWG anymore.
    I created another restore point and installed Cat 3.5 over Omega 3.4 without
    uninstalling anything first and low and behold Cat 3.5 work fine now. I
    don't really know why that is, but at least it's working now.

    WTH is SWG?? And why do you alt-tab out of it?

    "Dodgy" <Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 13 May 2004 00:30:25 +0100, "Shawk"
    > <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> waffled on about something:
    >

    > >"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
    > >> Just so you know :)
    > >>
    > >> www.ati.com
    > >>

    > >Thanks Asestar but there's nothing in there that I need fixed. I'll wait
    > >and see what others say about whether these are an improvement of the 4.4
    > >omega's :-)
    >
    > Exactly.
    >
    > If it's not going to fix something, then why change and risk a
    > breakage.
    >
    > D0d6y.
    > --
    > MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

    I just wanted to let everyone visiting the boards know about their release.
    Heck, i havn't installed them myself yet :)

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 16:50:04 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
    .. n o> waffled on about something:

    >"Dodgy" <Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 13 May 2004 00:30:25 +0100, "Shawk"
    >> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> waffled on about something:
    >>

    >> >"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message

    >> >Thanks Asestar but there's nothing in there that I need fixed. I'll wait
    >> >and see what others say about whether these are an improvement of the 4.4
    >> >omega's :-)
    >>
    >> Exactly.
    >>
    >> If it's not going to fix something, then why change and risk a
    >> breakage.
    >>
    >> D0d6y.
    >> --
    >> MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
    >
    >I just wanted to let everyone visiting the boards know about their release.
    >Heck, i havn't installed them myself yet :)

    Line everyone else up as the beta team... Cunning plan!

    D0d6y.
    --
    MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    rms wrote:
    >>Well, BF:Vietnam runs as smooth as silk now with AA & AF (1600X1200).
    >

    > Could be wrong, but I think they simply disabled AA in the drivers as a
    > fix.
    >
    > rms

    It's working, or either I can't tell the difference in 1024X768 on this
    21" monitor. Just ran D3DFSAA viewer, seems the temporal settings I
    made in registry for the previous drivers stuck! *8D

    Now for ATI to put that in the Control Panel *8|

    In release notes ATI stated, AA can now be forced on with 4.5.

    Minotaur (8*
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 18:27:33 +1000, Minotaur <antnel@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >In release notes ATI stated, AA can now be forced on with 4.5.

    I am not convinced by that, unless I am being stupid and have missed
    an option somewhere. I just tried the Nascar Thunder 2004 demo and it
    still looks like pixel city.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message

    > I am not convinced by that, unless I am being stupid and have missed
    > an option somewhere. I just tried the Nascar Thunder 2004 demo and it
    > still looks like pixel city.

    I'm very lucky in that image quality never bothered me. I run all of my
    games with AA and AF turned off and I'm still happy with the image
    quality. Even when I do turn these features on in any game, it's no big
    deal to me. Because of this, no doubt I can stretch my hardware out
    further.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    NightSky 421 left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > I'm very lucky in that image quality never bothered me. I run all of my
    > games with AA and AF turned off and I'm still happy with the image
    > quality. Even when I do turn these features on in any game, it's no big
    > deal to me. Because of this, no doubt I can stretch my hardware out
    > further.

    I generally don't see much in AA or AF myself. 1600x1200 resolution in
    all my games get's it looking good enough.
    --
    Stoneskin

    [Insert sig text here]
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > On Thu, 13 May 2004 16:50:04 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
    > . n o> waffled on about something:
    >

    > >"Dodgy" <Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote in message
    > >> On Thu, 13 May 2004 00:30:25 +0100, "Shawk"
    > >> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> waffled on about something:

    > >> Exactly.
    > >>
    > >> If it's not going to fix something, then why change and risk a
    > >> breakage.
    > >>
    > >> D0d6y.
    > >> --
    > >> MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
    > >
    > >I just wanted to let everyone visiting the boards know about their
    release.
    > >Heck, i havn't installed them myself yet :)
    >
    > Line everyone else up as the beta team... Cunning plan!
    >
    > D0d6y.
    > --
    > MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

    Yup. The guys got style :-)
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Yeah, great. Now I have hundreds more tweaks to get my games to run
    with performance and quality.

    hawk

    Asestar wrote:

    > Just so you know :)
    >
    > www.ati.com

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Minotaur wrote:

    > It's working, or either I can't tell the difference in 1024X768 on
    > this 21" monitor. Just ran D3DFSAA viewer, seems the temporal
    > settings I made in registry for the previous drivers stuck! *8D

    Which settings?

    regards

    @ndrew
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    :-)

    > "Dodgy" <Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 13 May 2004 16:50:04 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
    > > . n o> waffled on about something:
    > >

    > > >"Dodgy" <Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote in message

    > wait
    > 4.4

    > > >I just wanted to let everyone visiting the boards know about their
    > release.
    > > >Heck, i havn't installed them myself yet :)
    > >
    > > Line everyone else up as the beta team... Cunning plan!
    > >
    > > D0d6y.
    > > --
    > > MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
    >

    > Yup. The guys got style :-)

  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    @ndrew wrote:

    > Minotaur wrote:
    >

    >>It's working, or either I can't tell the difference in 1024X768 on
    >>this 21" monitor. Just ran D3DFSAA viewer, seems the temporal
    >>settings I made in registry for the previous drivers stuck! *8D
    >>

    > Which settings?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > @ndrew

    http://www.3dchipset.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1069
    Read all the post's, you shall find the details of how to do it there.

    I also recommend D3DFSAA viewer to test it,
    http://www.users.on.net/triforce/d3d_fsaaviewer/

    Cheers Minotaur (8*

    Quote from link,

    What is Temporal Anti-Aliasing?

    One of the impressive (but little discussed) features of ATi's R3x0
    architecture is that it is capable of programmable AA patterns. Whereas
    most graphics boards only have pre-programmed sampling patterns,
    theoretically a developer (or indeed ATi themselves) could change to a
    different AA pattern whenever they chose. This feature has never really
    been explored by either ATi or developers... Until now, where it has
    become the basis for a new (and thus far only available via the
    registry) anti-aliasing mode.

    So, how does it work? Basically, instead of using a single, static
    sampling pattern when AA is enabled, temporal AA allows the board to
    select from one of several patterns, which it can then switch between on
    a per frame basis. In other words, every rendered frame is antialiased
    slightly differently, using a different pattern. If at this point you
    are thinking that changing the pattern every frame would end up as a
    horrible, flickery mess, you'd be right. Until you examine the principle
    a little more closely that is....
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Stoneskin wrote:

    > Minotaur left a note on my windscreen which said:
    >

    >>Well, BF:Vietnam runs as smooth as silk now with AA & AF (1600X1200).
    >>Damn, have to look for another excuse to upgrade this 9700Pro now *8D
    >

    > I have problems running BFV at it's highest detail settings, no AA/AF at
    > 1600x1200 on my 9800 Pro. It drops FPS severely around certain objects
    > - bushes, flag poles etc.
    >
    > Were these the sort of problems you were experiencing and did these
    > drivers fix it?

    Yes, they where the effects alright, even with Omega 4.4 :| and every
    tweak I could think of (not many). Installed the leaked beta last night
    of 4.4 after someone said BFV ran a whole lot better and it did! *8D
    Definantly smoother, most possibly better quality, definantly not worse
    and no AA or AF artifacts.. Very happy here *8) although my old 9700
    (351/315) does have some difficulty in some of the maps with AA on *8(
    Now running 1600X1200 with 16X AF, No AA, and the FPS couldn't be
    better, 30-100+FPS, average 50FPS. *8) Before it was 25-60FPS with no AF
    or AA in 1600X1200 and the average was 40FPS.

    I use the settings Medium - Medium - Highest in order from top to
    bottom. Dynamic lighting On, Shadows Off (not sure if they fixed the
    shadow problem?) 1600X1200.

    Too much typing, back to BFV! *8D

    Minotaur (8*
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Minotaur left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > > Were these the sort of problems you were experiencing and did these
    > > drivers fix it?
    >
    > Yes, they where the effects alright, even with Omega 4.4 :| and every
    > tweak I could think of (not many). Installed the leaked beta last night
    > of 4.4 after someone said BFV ran a whole lot better and it did! *8D
    > Definantly smoother, most possibly better quality, definantly not worse
    > and no AA or AF artifacts.. Very happy here *8) although my old 9700
    > (351/315) does have some difficulty in some of the maps with AA on *8(
    > Now running 1600X1200 with 16X AF, No AA, and the FPS couldn't be
    > better, 30-100+FPS, average 50FPS. *8) Before it was 25-60FPS with no AF
    > or AA in 1600X1200 and the average was 40FPS.

    Woohoo! Sounds like 4.5 is for me :)

    Thx for the info.
    --
    Stoneskin

    [Insert sig text here]
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Star Wars Galaxies, it's on online multi player game.

    > WTH is SWG?? And why do you alt-tab out of it?
    >

    > "Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > "Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > > Just like with Catalyst 4.4, 4.5 crashes SWG for me, when I task out
    and
    > > > task back in. So it's back to 4.3 for me.
    > >
    > > Hm, when I uninstalled all drivers, removed all traces of ATi drivers,
    > > directories and registry entries and then reinstalled Omega 4.3, it
    didn't
    > > fix the problem. So I restored my system to the point before I installed
    > > Catalyst 3.5 and no crashes with SWG anymore.
    > > I created another restore point and installed Cat 3.5 over Omega 3.4
    > without
    > > uninstalling anything first and low and behold Cat 3.5 work fine now. I
    > > don't really know why that is, but at least it's working now.

  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Minotaur wrote:

    > @ndrew wrote:
    >
    > > Minotaur wrote:
    > >

    > > > It's working, or either I can't tell the difference in 1024X768 on
    > > > this 21" monitor. Just ran D3DFSAA viewer, seems the temporal
    > > > settings I made in registry for the previous drivers stuck! *8D
    > > >

    > > Which settings?
    > >
    > > regards
    > >
    > > @ndrew
    > >

    > http://www.3dchipset.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1069
    > Read all the post's, you shall find the details of how to do it there.
    >
    > I also recommend D3DFSAA viewer to test it,
    > http://www.users.on.net/triforce/d3d_fsaaviewer/

    Thanks.

    regards

    @ndrew
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    n00b

    *troll alert* ;)

    "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
    > WTH is SWG?? And why do you alt-tab out of it?
    >

    > "Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > "Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > > Just like with Catalyst 4.4, 4.5 crashes SWG for me, when I task out
    and
    > > > task back in. So it's back to 4.3 for me.
    > >
    > > Hm, when I uninstalled all drivers, removed all traces of ATi drivers,
    > > directories and registry entries and then reinstalled Omega 4.3, it
    didn't
    > > fix the problem. So I restored my system to the point before I installed
    > > Catalyst 3.5 and no crashes with SWG anymore.
    > > I created another restore point and installed Cat 3.5 over Omega 3.4
    > without
    > > uninstalling anything first and low and behold Cat 3.5 work fine now. I
    > > don't really know why that is, but at least it's working now.

  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    @ndrew, are you the guy from the old, now defunct creativelabs TNT ng?

    Mike

    "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
    > Minotaur wrote:
    >
    > > @ndrew wrote:

    > > > Which settings?
    > > >
    > > > regards
    > > >
    > > > @ndrew
    > > >

    > > http://www.3dchipset.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1069
    > > Read all the post's, you shall find the details of how to do it there.
    > >
    > > I also recommend D3DFSAA viewer to test it,
    > > http://www.users.on.net/triforce/d3d_fsaaviewer/
    > >

    > Thanks.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > @ndrew

  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Mike P wrote:

    > @ndrew, are you the guy from the old, now defunct creativelabs TNT ng?

    Yes mate .. the one and the same o)

    regards

    @ndrew
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Wow, good to see you online again. That was a nice ng, I hated to see it
    get cut the way it did, even though I was mostly a lurker. After reading
    ....in the TNT ng :0) ...the raving about the Radeon's performance and
    better iq I got a radeonLE and did the registry hack/oc to a full radeon,
    been an ATI fan ever since. I forget a lot of the other regular's names
    from there... I'd probably recognize them if i saw them.
    BTW, I used your old TNT driver cleanup faq many times, worked great, thanks
    for that.

    Cheers,

    > Mike P wrote:
    >
    > > @ndrew, are you the guy from the old, now defunct creativelabs TNT ng?
    > >

    > Yes mate .. the one and the same o)
    >
    > regards
    >
    > @ndrew

  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Mike P wrote:

    > Wow, good to see you online again. That was a nice ng, I hated to
    > see it get cut the way it did, even though I was mostly a lurker.

    Yes great shame but all good things come to an end o)

    > After reading ...in the TNT ng :0) ...the raving about the
    > Radeon's performance and better iq I got a radeonLE and did the
    > registry hack/oc to a full radeon, been an ATI fan ever since.

    Grats ... I have three video cards ... Radeon 9800 Pro, 9600XT and a
    GeForce 3 .. I like the Radeons a lot.

    > forget a lot of the other regular's names from there... I'd probably
    > recognize them if i saw them.

    Grizzly, Timm Tieman and JeZ are the three that really stick in my mind.

    >BTW, I used your old TNT driver
    > cleanup faq many times, worked great, thanks for that.

    You are welcome .. glad it was put to good use .. Will see you in here
    from time to time o)

    regards

    @ndrew

Radeon ATI Graphics