9800XT? Which one?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hey everyone. Very soon I plan on purchasing a 9800XT (that is as soon as
the X800 arrives here in Australia and the price drops). The choices for now
are from these manufacturers, all with same specs: Abit, Asus, Elsa Falcox,
Gigabyte, HIS, SmartVGA. Is there a difference, performance / reliability
wise between these cards.

Thanks all for any info.

maciek

> Hey everyone. Very soon I plan on purchasing a 9800XT (that is as soon as
> the X800 arrives here in Australia and the price drops). The choices for
now
> are from these manufacturers, all with same specs: Abit, Asus, Elsa
Falcox,
> Gigabyte, HIS, SmartVGA. Is there a difference, performance / reliability
> wise between these cards.

Prices of more expensive models of 9800 XT are now roughy equal to X800 in
US (based this opinion on allstarshop).
Everybody is waiting for the prices to drop significantly :)
BTW what is the relationship between Australia proces and US prices?

I hear only good things about Asus. However, Abit cards are also very good.
As for HIS and ELSA, i can't say much. Gigabyte is also not bad.

Maciek wrote:

> Prices of more expensive models of 9800 XT are now roughy equal to
> X800 in US (based this opinion on allstarshop).
> Everybody is waiting for the prices to drop significantly :)
> BTW what is the relationship between Australia proces and US prices?

The Australian dollar is about 75 cents to one of yours.

regards

@ndrew

maciek

> The Australian dollar is about 75 cents to one of yours.
I didn't mean the relation between the currency but the relation between
video cards. I did a fast google for australian internet shops and all I
found out was that Australian prices are 30%-50% higher that US prices. So I
am just curious if I was correct.

Maciek

Maciek wrote:

> > The Australian dollar is about 75 cents to one of yours.
> I didn't mean the relation between the currency but the relation
> between video cards. I did a fast google for australian internet
> shops and all I found out was that Australian prices are 30%-50%
> higher that US prices. So I am just curious if I was correct.
>
> Maciek

Sorry I misunderstood (btw our dollar dropped to 68 cents US today o().
Yes that is about right on some things on others not ... it is a weird
market down here.

We are about the same distance from Taiwan ... but our tax structure is
different. If you understand the POz dollar this is a good link to
give you an idea on prices down here:

http://tinyurl.com/27yor

regards

@ndrew

On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:50:51 +1000, "§" <§@§.§> wrote:

>Hey everyone. Very soon I plan on purchasing a 9800XT (that is as soon as
>the X800 arrives here in Australia and the price drops). The choices for now
>are from these manufacturers, all with same specs: Abit, Asus, Elsa Falcox,
>Gigabyte, HIS, SmartVGA. Is there a difference, performance / reliability
>wise between these cards.

Don't expect the XT prices to drop much... they have stopped makling
them and will quickly dissappear. Unless its under $300USD, its
still not comparible to th6 $400 X800Pro

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Darthy wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:50:51 +1000, "§" <§@§.§> wrote:
>
>> Hey everyone. Very soon I plan on purchasing a 9800XT (that is as
>> soon as the X800 arrives here in Australia and the price drops). The
>> choices for now are from these manufacturers, all with same specs:
>> Abit, Asus, Elsa Falcox, Gigabyte, HIS, SmartVGA. Is there a
>> difference, performance / reliability wise between these cards.
>
> Don't expect the XT prices to drop much... they have stopped makling
> them and will quickly dissappear. Unless its under $300USD, its
> still not comparible to th6 $400 X800Pro

I sure as hell hope they drop a bit because right now the place where I will
get it from www.auspcmarket.com.au is selling 9800XT's from $AUD690+
($US480).

Im notsure where people always come up with this bull about cards disapearing. If you check
pricewatch.com you can buy ATI cards all the way back to the Radeon 7000 NEW RETAIL.

These cards wont be hard to come by for many years to come. Use some common sense, they WILL BE
dropping in price during the whole time as well. People are saying the same thing about the FX5900
and 5900u. Im not sure where you are hearing it but it sounds like a ploy to get people to buy these
cards while prices and profit margins are still high.

On Wed, 19 May 2004 23:27:58 +1000, "§" <§@§.§> wrote:

>Darthy wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:50:51 +1000, "§" <§@§.§> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey everyone. Very soon I plan on purchasing a 9800XT (that is as
>>> soon as the X800 arrives here in Australia and the price drops). The
>>> choices for now are from these manufacturers, all with same specs:
>>> Abit, Asus, Elsa Falcox, Gigabyte, HIS, SmartVGA. Is there a
>>> difference, performance / reliability wise between these cards.
>>
>> Don't expect the XT prices to drop much... they have stopped makling
>> them and will quickly dissappear. Unless its under $300USD, its
>> still not comparible to th6 $400 X800Pro
>
>I sure as hell hope they drop a bit because right now the place where I will
>get it from www.auspcmarket.com.au is selling 9800XT's from $AUD690+
>($US480).

Not "all the way". 7000 is a newer card. However, a remake, and budget card,
but it's new. Don't confuse it with Radeon7500, which was some time ago.

You can -not- find these Ati cards new: Radeon, Radeon7500, 8500 and 9500.
Now many 8500Le are re-named, and sold again as 9100.
I've seen some 9700(pro), 9000(pro) and 9100's on sale at some shops,
altough with very high prices.. maybe introductory prices, that's why they
are still on sale. Noone buys them.