Reinstalling W98 on a PB Club 40

Hi.

I recently made the mistake of trying to help someone reinstall
Windows 98 on their old Club 40. After the usual backups had been
made, I repartitioned their 3GB hard drive and formatted a 2.5GB
partition using DOS fdisk. I then booted up with a startup disk, and
tried to run the W98 setup program from the Master CD. The program
gave me a screen with options, but no matter which option I choose,
the outcome is the same: nothing happens, and I'm returned to the
command-line prompt. It dawned on me that the OEMSetup program
probably relied on there being some pre-existing file on the hard
drive in order to work properly. I've had a look on the newsgroups,
and have learned that Packard Bell PCs all have a special file
(referred to as a "tattoo") on their hard drive, and that this is
needed (perhaps with other files - I don't know) by the OEMSetup
program. I also understand that it is possible to tattoo the hard
drive oneself.

So to my questions:
1. Must I repartition the hard drive so that the whole disk is a
single 3GB partition, in order for the setup program to work?
2. How do I put the tattoo (and any other required files) back on the
hard drive?
3. I have the two Master CDs and the product key for Windows, but I
don't have a startup disk - would one from my old W95 machine be
usable?

The model of the machine is, as I say, a Club 40: the BIOS string is
2A5IIG5EC, which means it has a GVC FR500 (rev. D) mobo, so I think
that it's one of the earlier Club 40 types.

I'd be very grateful for any information, as I don't know what to do.
Thanks,

Paul.
5 answers Last reply
More about reinstalling club
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    I do not know whether your unit has tatto as a component
    Not enough info
    Send me a copy of the restore floppy and I may be able to tell

    I would make just one partition and try the restore floppy and the master CD
    Did not know PB had the OEM drive partitioned

    You can boot to a C prompt
    just making sure the partition is active

    You always have the option of using another Windows 98 CD OEM FULL INSTALL
    if you have it

    I do not know for your Master CD
    See if the cab files are on the CD
    You could use it also if it is not encrypted

    "Paul" <Paul@Methuselah.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > I recently made the mistake of trying to help someone reinstall
    > Windows 98 on their old Club 40. After the usual backups had been
    > made, I repartitioned their 3GB hard drive and formatted a 2.5GB
    > partition using DOS fdisk. I then booted up with a startup disk, and
    > tried to run the W98 setup program from the Master CD. The program
    > gave me a screen with options, but no matter which option I choose,
    > the outcome is the same: nothing happens, and I'm returned to the
    > command-line prompt. It dawned on me that the OEMSetup program
    > probably relied on there being some pre-existing file on the hard
    > drive in order to work properly. I've had a look on the newsgroups,
    > and have learned that Packard Bell PCs all have a special file
    > (referred to as a "tattoo") on their hard drive, and that this is
    > needed (perhaps with other files - I don't know) by the OEMSetup
    > program. I also understand that it is possible to tattoo the hard
    > drive oneself.
    >
    > So to my questions:
    > 1. Must I repartition the hard drive so that the whole disk is a
    > single 3GB partition, in order for the setup program to work?
    > 2. How do I put the tattoo (and any other required files) back on the
    > hard drive?
    > 3. I have the two Master CDs and the product key for Windows, but I
    > don't have a startup disk - would one from my old W95 machine be
    > usable?
    >
    > The model of the machine is, as I say, a Club 40: the BIOS string is
    > 2A5IIG5EC, which means it has a GVC FR500 (rev. D) mobo, so I think
    > that it's one of the earlier Club 40 types.
    >
    > I'd be very grateful for any information, as I don't know what to do.
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Paul.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "metronid" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<V42dnSCQnPM1NnHdRVn-hA@comcast.com>...

    Hi Metronid.

    Thanks for the quick response: I'll attempt to answer your
    questions...

    > I do not know whether your unit has tatto as a component
    > Not enough info
    > Send me a copy of the restore floppy and I may be able to tell

    Unfortunately, as I say, I don't have the restore floppy/startup
    disk-thing. Is there somewhere I can download one? I went to
    bootdisk.com, but all I could find there was a generic W98 startup
    disk. Is there another way I can find out about the tattoo?

    > I would make just one partition and try the restore floppy and the master CD
    > Did not know PB had the OEM drive partitioned

    They didn't: I partitioned it using DOS fdisk. When I boot from a
    startup disk and run OEMSETUP.EXE from the Master CD, I just get that
    screen with options which don't work (they just return me to the
    command-line prompt).

    > You can boot to a C prompt just making sure the partition is active
    >
    > You always have the option of using another Windows 98 CD OEM FULL INSTALL
    > if you have it

    I'm afraid I don't have another one (I don't use Windows any more):
    and the Master CD has all the applications software (Word, etc.) on
    it, which the machine's owners do use.

    > I do not know for your Master CD

    Well, the number on it is 6733870501, if that means anything to you!

    > See if the cab files are on the CD

    I looked for .CAB files, but all the files have odd extensions: the
    files in the PARTS directory are suffixed with either .01 or .XX (they
    have names like AAB400AE.01 and ZCB000AA.XX). If it helps, here's a
    listing of the root directory of Master CD 1 (sorry about the UNIX
    format):

    -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 1868 Oct 13 1998 CONTENT.TXT
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 309248 Jan 6 1998 CRC95.EXE
    dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 Oct 13 1998 CRCLOG
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 17689 Oct 13 1998 CRCLOG.DAT
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2 Oct 13 1998 DISK1.ID
    dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 Oct 13 1998 LST
    dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 8192 Oct 13 1998 PARTS
    dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 Oct 13 1998 PB_FOR.VER
    dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 Oct 13 1998 SCR
    dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 Oct 13 1998 SETUP
    dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 Oct 13 1998 TSRC

    > You could use it also if it is not encrypted

    Not sure what you mean here: what's not encrypted? The Master CD?

    Hope I've answered everything: I look forward to hearing your
    thoughts. Thanks again for helping.

    Best wishes,

    Paul.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    > "metronid" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    > Hi Metronid.
    >
    > Thanks for the quick response: I'll attempt to answer your
    > questions...
    >
    > > I do not know whether your unit has tatto as a component
    > > Not enough info
    > > Send me a copy of the restore floppy and I may be able to tell
    >
    > Unfortunately, as I say, I don't have the restore floppy/startup
    > disk-thing. Is there somewhere I can download one? I went to
    > bootdisk.com, but all I could find there was a generic W98 startup
    > disk. Is there another way I can find out about the tattoo?
    >
    > > I would make just one partition and try the restore floppy and the
    master CD
    > > Did not know PB had the OEM drive partitioned
    >
    > They didn't: I partitioned it using DOS fdisk. When I boot from a
    > startup disk and run OEMSETUP.EXE from the Master CD, I just get
    that
    > screen with options which don't work (they just return me to the
    > command-line prompt).
    >
    > > You can boot to a C prompt just making sure the partition is
    active

    > > You always have the option of using another Windows 98 CD OEM FULL
    INSTALL
    > > if you have it
    >
    > I'm afraid I don't have another one (I don't use Windows any more):
    > and the Master CD has all the applications software (Word, etc.) on
    > it, which the machine's owners do use.
    >
    > > I do not know for your Master CD
    >
    > Well, the number on it is 6733870501, if that means anything to you!
    >
    > > See if the cab files are on the CD
    >
    > I looked for .CAB files, but all the files have odd extensions: the
    > files in the PARTS directory are suffixed with either .01 or .XX
    (they
    > have names like AAB400AE.01 and ZCB000AA.XX). If it helps, here's a
    > listing of the root directory of Master CD 1 (sorry about the UNIX
    > format):
    >
    > -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 1868 Oct 13 1998 CONTENT.TXT
    > -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 309248 Jan 6 1998 CRC95.EXE
    > dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 Oct 13 1998 CRCLOG
    > -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 17689 Oct 13 1998 CRCLOG.DAT
    > -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2 Oct 13 1998 DISK1.ID
    > dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 Oct 13 1998 LST
    > dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 8192 Oct 13 1998 PARTS
    > dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 Oct 13 1998 PB_FOR.VER
    > dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 Oct 13 1998 SCR
    > dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 Oct 13 1998 SETUP
    > dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 Oct 13 1998 TSRC
    >
    > > You could use it also if it is not encrypted
    >
    > Not sure what you mean here: what's not encrypted? The Master CD?
    >
    > Hope I've answered everything: I look forward to hearing your
    > thoughts. Thanks again for helping.
    >
    > Best wishes,
    >
    > Paul.

    Paul:

    TATTOO PROCEDURE:

    Create a Windows 98 Boot Diskette
    Locate on Master CD's the folder 'DRIVERS'
    From this folder copy to the boot diskette the following files:
    Tattoo.exe
    Shellhs.dll

    Remove old HDD and install your new HDD

    Power up the system and boot from the diskette into DOS and at the A>
    prompt enter the following command:

    Tattoo /createhsfromdmi

    This will transfer a copy of the tattoo from the motherboard bios to
    the hdd.

    If you don't have these files, you need only go to
    http://www.bootdisk.com as other suggested and make a bootable disk
    and then run the restore process. Ahh I also noted what you wrote, you
    don't have the restore cd's for the unit? In that case someone here
    may have that cd so you can continue. Just in case I am reading this
    correctly. Anyway I gave you the instructions to make a tattoo as per
    Simon's instructions.

    Elector
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Here is the link foe the restore floppy
    http://www.pbnec.nl/support/itemnr/6760030000.html

    Your unit may also boot from the master cd
    Do not know

    Make sure you return the HD to 1 partition first
    Formatted and bootable toi a C prompt

    "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    > Locate on Master CD's the folder 'DRIVERS'
    > From this folder copy to the boot diskette the following files:
    > Tattoo.exe
    > Shellhs.dll
    >
    > Remove old HDD and install your new HDD
    >
    > Power up the system and boot from the diskette into DOS and at the A>
    > prompt enter the following command:
    >
    > Tattoo /createhsfromdmi
    >
    > This will transfer a copy of the tattoo from the motherboard bios to
    > the hdd.
    >

    > If you don't have these files, you need only go to
    > http://www.bootdisk.com as other suggested and make a bootable disk
    > and then run the restore process. Ahh I also noted what you wrote, you
    > don't have the restore cd's for the unit? In that case someone here
    > may have that cd so you can continue. Just in case I am reading this
    > correctly. Anyway I gave you the instructions to make a tattoo as per

  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Hi folks.

    Well, it's fixed! All I did was download the Club 40 bootdisk and
    boot with it! I didn't even have to repartition: I now have W98 & the
    apps cleanly installed, but on a 2.5GB partition (and the installation
    takes up less than 1GB). Thanks, Metronid for the link - and thanks,
    too, to you, Elector, for your suggestions.
    Now I can give the machine back to its owners...

    Cheers,

    Paul.

Packard Bell Hard Drives Computers