Need NAS recommendation

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
May 6, 2004 10:05:38 PM

I'm looking for a home Network Attached Storage solution, something as small
as 20GB for storing common files that the computers on my 802.11g wireless
network need to access from a shared location, preferably not a specific PC.
At the moment, a PC I'd rather get rid of (donate to charity) is serving
this role via a Windows XP Pro Workgroup until I find the right NAS solution
to replace it.

The only wireless home-oriented NAS solution I've seen is the announced (but
not yet available until September 2004) DLink DSM-622H (a 802.11g wireless
version of their
existing 20GB DSM-602H NAS). All of my network equipment is from LinkSys
and all of it is 802.11g (print server, wireless adapters), because
everything on my network is 802.11g. All computers run Windows XP Pro SP1 +
the usual plethora of security updates.

LinkSys doesn't seem to be all that interested in the NAS home market, so
unless somebody knows of a competitor to the DLink DSM-622H that is actually
available for sale, is my only option to be patient and wait for the
DSM-622H to be made available for sale. Yes, I could put two different
boxes together (wireless bridge plus an older "tethered" NAS) to get what I
want, but I'd rather have an all-in-one wireless (802.11g) NAS solution.

Am I being unreasonable or do I just need to be patient for the kind of
wireless home-oriented NAS solution I'm looking for?

More about : nas recommendation

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 10, 2004 11:36:49 PM

The items in the PDF you referenced are:
1. Not 802.11g compliant off-the-shelf
2. Way too big for my needs
3. Huge in terms of foot-print

I'm still looking for realistic wireless NAS solutions for the home market.
At the moment, the DLink DSM-622H is the only thing that has even been
announced. Doesn't anyone care about creating a true, wireless P-n-P NAS
storage solution for the home market? I can't believe I'm the only one that
wants to store common files on a NAS instead of being specific-PC-bound!

"BAR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> http://download.iomega.com/com/prodsheet/nas_family_bro...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 24, 2004 2:39:03 PM

Fred, I absouletly know what youre going through. I live below 2 old ladies who have no idea of security or anythin. My host here is not only through a ceiling but running WIN2000 and another one is on the netwrk wiht win 98 1st edition. So she goes out and spends 80 bucks on a 'g' router taht none of us have the use for...well i do cause of course i went and got card. but xp pro is a stinker for any wirelss netrwrk. i fight it day in and day put.

however fred not to ramble on yes i jsut set up the most beautiful 10000 node wirelss netwrk where i work...and techn ology is coming at us in the wirelss field jsut not as quivck as some of has hoped...

Maybe you should apply at cisco? winks

!