i have mcafee security services on my windows xp home computer. i have just
got my windows sp2 installed correctly. my question is do i need to turn off
my windows anti-virus & firewall for my system to work right? i read where
having two anti virus & fire walls your computer will not work right. seems
to me that it would double the protection.

Malke

s.wyatt wrote:

> i have mcafee security services on my windows xp home computer. i have
> just got my windows sp2 installed correctly. my question is do i need
> to turn off my windows anti-virus & firewall for my system to work
> right? i read where having two anti virus & fire walls your computer
> will not work right. seems to me that it would double the protection.

Windows does not have a built-in antivirus function. Service Pack 2 does
automatically enable the Windows Firewall. If you have a firewall from
McAfee, you should disable the Windows Firewall. Two av's (if you had
two, which you don't) and two firewalls do not provide "double the
protection" but will instead produce problems.

Go to Control Panel and find the Windows Firewall applet. Turn the
Windows Firewall off.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User