Installing new version 4.5 driver for a Radeon 9600se

My drivers are 7.97-031212a-013314c-ATI. Is it necessary to remove
the old driver first or can I just install the latest version. Any
think I need to watch out for

I am running a AMD3200+ in a asus k8v delux board. XP home with SP 1

Thank You

David Wells

I believe it is recommended to uninstall the old drivers before installing
new one.
I did that once, but never again, now my ATI DVD player does not work
Did not have the original ATI software CD when updating drivers, which was
required, for DVD player.
So I say just to install new driver right over the old ones, its what I do
now.

"David Wells" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> My drivers are 7.97-031212a-013314c-ATI. Is it necessary to remove
> the old driver first or can I just install the latest version. Any
> think I need to watch out for
>

> I am running a AMD3200+ in a asus k8v delux board. XP home with SP 1
>

> Thank You
>
> David Wells

Opinions are very divided on this matter. Basic rule is, if upgrading driver
in same series (cat4.4 from 4.1, or 3.9 from 3.7) you don't need to
uninstall the old ones.
But when ever downgrading, you better uninstall the existing driver. Same
goes when using Omega over Ati or vice versa.

"David Wells" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> My drivers are 7.97-031212a-013314c-ATI. Is it necessary to remove
> the old driver first or can I just install the latest version. Any
> think I need to watch out for
>

> I am running a AMD3200+ in a asus k8v delux board. XP home with SP 1
>

> Thank You
>
> David Wells

Maniac

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

David Wells <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> I am running a AMD3200+ in a asus k8v delux board. XP home with SP 1

You're using Athlon 64 and this shite GFX card? ... ;O

Instalation Catalyst Drivers is quite simple. Just double click on
wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-01-040421a-015419c.exe file, click OK, next, next, next
and 'Yes' to restart your computer. That's all. ;p

--
maniac(at)chello.pl

Also read the thread "9600pro mystery" a little further down. There might be
some issue of 9600se being locked against overclock in ATI catalyst drivers.