club 60 help hdrive help

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi, My original hard drive has failed and I had to buy another a hitachi 80
Gb unfortunately it is not seen in the BIOS, I would imagine that the bios
is too old to recognise the size of this new drive.

I looked at IBM /Hitachi website to see if I can get a hard drive manager
that would be able to trick the bios to get it installedbut they say that
they have stopped it.
Is there any other software I could use?
or could someone please tell me a procedure so I can mount this drive.

regards Steve

"Steve" <misxccp@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, My original hard drive has failed and I had to buy another a hitachi
80
> Gb unfortunately it is not seen in the BIOS, I would imagine that the bios
> is too old to recognise the size of this new drive.
>
> I looked at IBM /Hitachi website to see if I can get a hard drive
manager
> that would be able to trick the bios to get it installedbut they say that
> they have stopped it.
> Is there any other software I could use?
> or could someone please tell me a procedure so I can mount this drive.
>

> regards Steve

Go to Google and look up "Hard Drive Controller Cards" a few companies make
them (Promise if they are still in business was one) you place the card in
available PCI slot in your system. You then connect the new larger drive in
the controller on the card. It has its own BIOS so it will be able to use
the full capacity of the new hard drive. Also follow the directions and you
should have no problem.

Ben Myers may have a card or even know which to buy since he is in that
computer business.

NEVER**** use any BIOS overlay program since many times it causes more harm
than good. Don't let anyone tell you that its OK to do so. The programs like
EZ-Drive or Ontrack, or MaxiBlast were made by the hard drive companies in
order for them to sell the devices. Don't use them.

Elector

Well said, Elector. Let me add that some IDE/ATAPI hard drive controller cards
require a later revision of PCI, usually 2.1, than is designed into some of the
older Pentium class motherboards. Best to check specs before buying, then buy
from a seller with a no-strings 100% money back return policy, if possible.

But no overlay software. Ever... Ben Myers

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 11:46:16 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote:

>"Steve" <misxccp@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi, My original hard drive has failed and I had to buy another a hitachi
>80
>> Gb unfortunately it is not seen in the BIOS, I would imagine that the bios
>> is too old to recognise the size of this new drive.
>>
>> I looked at IBM /Hitachi website to see if I can get a hard drive
>manager
>> that would be able to trick the bios to get it installedbut they say that
>> they have stopped it.
>> Is there any other software I could use?
>> or could someone please tell me a procedure so I can mount this drive.
>>

>> regards Steve
>>

>Go to Google and look up "Hard Drive Controller Cards" a few companies make
>them (Promise if they are still in business was one) you place the card in
>available PCI slot in your system. You then connect the new larger drive in
>the controller on the card. It has its own BIOS so it will be able to use
>the full capacity of the new hard drive. Also follow the directions and you
>should have no problem.
>
>Ben Myers may have a card or even know which to buy since he is in that
>computer business.
>
>NEVER**** use any BIOS overlay program since many times it causes more harm
>than good. Don't let anyone tell you that its OK to do so. The programs like
>EZ-Drive or Ontrack, or MaxiBlast were made by the hard drive companies in
>order for them to sell the devices. Don't use them.
>
>Elector

beleive this is his motherboard
could be wrong
http://pt.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-6WMM7.htm
It should be compatible with a card
Of course if it was running Windows
Sandra Sisoft would tell
> Well said, Elector. Let me add that some IDE/ATAPI hard drive controller
cards
> require a later revision of PCI, usually 2.1, than is designed into some
of the
> older Pentium class motherboards. Best to check specs before buying, then
buy
> from a seller with a no-strings 100% money back return policy, if
possible.

> But no overlay software. Ever... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 11:46:16 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote:
>

> >"Steve" <misxccp@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> Hi, My original hard drive has failed and I had to buy another a
hitachi
> >80
> >> Gb unfortunately it is not seen in the BIOS, I would imagine that the
bios
> >> is too old to recognise the size of this new drive.
> >>
> >> I looked at IBM /Hitachi website to see if I can get a hard drive
> >manager
> >> that would be able to trick the bios to get it installedbut they say
that
> >> they have stopped it.
> >> Is there any other software I could use?
> >> or could someone please tell me a procedure so I can mount this drive.
> >>

> >> regards Steve
> >>

> >Go to Google and look up "Hard Drive Controller Cards" a few companies
make
> >them (Promise if they are still in business was one) you place the card
in
> >available PCI slot in your system. You then connect the new larger drive
in
> >the controller on the card. It has its own BIOS so it will be able to use
> >the full capacity of the new hard drive. Also follow the directions and
you
> >should have no problem.
> >
> >Ben Myers may have a card or even know which to buy since he is in that
> >computer business.
> >
> >NEVER**** use any BIOS overlay program since many times it causes more
harm
> >than good. Don't let anyone tell you that its OK to do so. The programs
like
> >EZ-Drive or Ontrack, or MaxiBlast were made by the hard drive companies
in
> >order for them to sell the devices. Don't use them.
> >
> >Elector

Yeah, that's a newer board. Probably a Promise, SIIG, or similar card would be
OK in it... Ben

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:24:25 -0400, "metronid" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote:

> beleive this is his motherboard
>could be wrong
>http://pt.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-6WMM7.htm
>It should be compatible with a card
>Of course if it was running Windows
>Sandra Sisoft would tell
>> Well said, Elector. Let me add that some IDE/ATAPI hard drive controller
>cards
>> require a later revision of PCI, usually 2.1, than is designed into some
>of the
>> older Pentium class motherboards. Best to check specs before buying, then
>buy
>> from a seller with a no-strings 100% money back return policy, if
>possible.
>>
>> But no overlay software. Ever... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 11:46:16 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote:
>>

>> >"Steve" <misxccp@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>hitachi
>> >80
>bios

>> >manager
>that

>> >Go to Google and look up "Hard Drive Controller Cards" a few companies
>make
>> >them (Promise if they are still in business was one) you place the card
>in
>> >available PCI slot in your system. You then connect the new larger drive
>in
>> >the controller on the card. It has its own BIOS so it will be able to use
>> >the full capacity of the new hard drive. Also follow the directions and
>you
>> >should have no problem.
>> >
>> >Ben Myers may have a card or even know which to buy since he is in that
>> >computer business.
>> >
>> >NEVER**** use any BIOS overlay program since many times it causes more
>harm
>> >than good. Don't let anyone tell you that its OK to do so. The programs
>like
>> >EZ-Drive or Ontrack, or MaxiBlast were made by the hard drive companies
>in
>> >order for them to sell the devices. Don't use them.
>> >
>> >Elector

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Thank you for your help, you are all know you stuff, BTW the motherboard is
a GA-6WMM7 I will look for a PCI IDE/ATAPI hard drive controller..

Steve