Power User rights vs. User rights

We have a application that runs correctly if the user is part of the power
users group but will not correctly if the use is part of the users group.
Why is this? Is there a way to get the user to be able to run the
application while still part of the users group?
3 answers Last reply
More about power user rights user rights

    swhwsu wrote:
    > We have a application that runs correctly if the user is part of the power
    > users group but will not correctly if the use is part of the users group.
    > Why is this? Is there a way to get the user to be able to run the
    > application while still part of the users group?

    This is quite common if the software was designed for Win9x/Me, or
    if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly designed. Quite
    simply, the installation routine for this application doesn't "know"
    how to handle individual user profiles, or the application tries to
    make changes to "off-limits" sections of the registry. Quite often,
    you can make this software available to other users by _copying_ the
    Start Menu folder and Desktop folder shortcuts from the user profile
    from which the software was installed in the corresponding folders in
    the user profile(s) in which you'd like the software to be accessible.
    If the application is something that can/should be made available to
    all current and future users, copying the shortcuts into the
    corresponding locations of the All Users profile will do the trick.

    NOTE: This may not work if the software requires access to parts
    of the hard drive and/or registry that are not normally accessible to
    regular users. (This won't occur if the application was properly
    written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're left
    with two options: Either grant the necessary users appropriate higher
    access privileges (either as Power Users or local administrators), or
    replace the application with one that was properly designed
    specifically for WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    For some obscure reason, game developers in particular seem to not
    understand WinXP's file security paradigm, and require even limited
    users to have unnecessarily high privileges to protected systems
    folders. For example, saved games are often stored in a sub-folder
    under the game's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
    inexperienced or limited user should have write permissions.

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    swhwsu wrote:

    > We have a application that runs correctly if the user is part of the power
    > users group but will not correctly if the use is part of the users group.
    > Why is this? Is there a way to get the user to be able to run the
    > application while still part of the users group?
    Hi

    One way is to use Sysinternals RegMon/FileMon utilities to try to find
    what registry keys/file system folders the application need write
    access to and set rights accordingly for the locked down user account.

    RegMon/FileMon is available for free here:

    http://www.sysinternals.com

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    That's right. Unfortunately many applications are poorly coded, meaning
    they run find with admin rights but not lower privs. The app is likely
    trying to write to a part of the file system that Users cannot write to,
    like C:\Windows or C:\Program Files.

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
    > swhwsu wrote:
    >
    >> We have a application that runs correctly if the user is part of the
    >> power users group but will not correctly if the use is part of the users
    >> group. Why is this? Is there a way to get the user to be able to run
    >> the application while still part of the users group?
    > Hi
    >
    > One way is to use Sysinternals RegMon/FileMon utilities to try to find
    > what registry keys/file system folders the application need write
    > access to and set rights accordingly for the locked down user account.
    >
    > RegMon/FileMon is available for free here:
    >
    > http://www.sysinternals.com

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Security Microsoft Power Windows XP