MSRT Error code

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just downloaded and ran the new MSRT on a PC here, and I recieved an error,
log file below:
*******START LOG*******
Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool v1.0, January 2005
Started On Tue Jan 11 14:23:41 2005

Error occurred, code: 0x8002
Error occurred, code: 0x8002

Removal Tool Results:
No infection found.

Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Tue Jan 11 14:23:44 2005
*******END LOG*******

Why does the File replication service fail. I know I am not infected but I
wanted to test out this new tool. I use McAfee's Stinger, and GDATA's
Remover with no issues at all.

Hi Dan.

Do you see this error in the log file every time you run the tool?

Thanks

-Mike

>I just downloaded and ran the new MSRT on a PC here, and I recieved an
>error,
> log file below:
> *******START LOG*******
> Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool v1.0, January 2005
> Started On Tue Jan 11 14:23:41 2005
>
> Error occurred, code: 0x8002
> Error occurred, code: 0x8002
>
> Removal Tool Results:
> No infection found.
>
> Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Tue Jan 11 14:23:44
> 2005
> *******END LOG*******
>
> Why does the File replication service fail. I know I am not infected but
> wanted to test out this new tool. I use McAfee's Stinger, and GDATA's
> Remover with no issues at all.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Mike,
It seems to only be on this machine here, and yes every time,
Is there a place I can submit this info, or if you need more what would you
like?
The log file is attached again.

Dan

*******START LOG*******
Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool v1.0, January 2005
Started On Tue Jan 11 19:44:43 2005

Error occurred, code: 0x8002
Error occurred, code: 0x8002

Removal Tool Results:
No infection found.

Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Tue Jan 11 19:44:49 2005

Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool v1.0, January 2005
Started On Tue Jan 11 20:15:07 2005

Error occurred, code: 0x8002
Error occurred, code: 0x8002

Removal Tool Results:
No infection found.

Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Tue Jan 11 20:15:08 2005
*******END LOG*******

"Mike Treit [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Dan.
>
> Do you see this error in the log file every time you run the tool?
>
> Thanks
>
> -Mike
>
> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just downloaded and ran the new MSRT on a PC here, and I recieved an
> >error,
> > log file below:
> > *******START LOG*******
> > Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool v1.0, January 2005
> > Started On Tue Jan 11 14:23:41 2005
> >
> > Error occurred, code: 0x8002
> > Error occurred, code: 0x8002
> >
> > Removal Tool Results:
> > No infection found.
> >
> > Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Tue Jan 11 14:23:44
> > 2005
> > *******END LOG*******
> >
> > Why does the File replication service fail. I know I am not infected but
> > wanted to test out this new tool. I use McAfee's Stinger, and GDATA's
> > Remover with no issues at all.

Thanks, Dan, for reporting this.

We are still investigating the issue, but initial indications are that this
is benign and can be ignored.

I would be interested in knowing if you see this running the copy of the
tool you downloaded on another computer.

It would also be interesting to know if you see this same error in the log
file when running via the web page at:
http://www.microsoft.com/malwareremove

Please rename the existing log file, then run the tool via the above web
page and send the contents of the new log.

Thanks!

-Mike

> Mike,
> It seems to only be on this machine here, and yes every time,
> Is there a place I can submit this info, or if you need more what would
> you
> like?
> The log file is attached again.
>
> Dan
>
> *******START LOG*******
> Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool v1.0, January 2005
> Started On Tue Jan 11 19:44:43 2005
>
> Error occurred, code: 0x8002
> Error occurred, code: 0x8002
>
> Removal Tool Results:
> No infection found.
>
> Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Tue Jan 11 19:44:49
> 2005
>

> Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool v1.0, January 2005
> Started On Tue Jan 11 20:15:07 2005
>
> Error occurred, code: 0x8002
> Error occurred, code: 0x8002
>
> Removal Tool Results:
> No infection found.
>
> Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Tue Jan 11 20:15:08
> 2005
> *******END LOG*******
>

> "Mike Treit [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Dan.
>>
>> Do you see this error in the log file every time you run the tool?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> -Mike
>>
>> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I just downloaded and ran the new MSRT on a PC here, and I recieved an
>> >error,
>> > log file below:
>> > *******START LOG*******
>> > Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool v1.0, January 2005
>> > Started On Tue Jan 11 14:23:41 2005
>> >
>> > Error occurred, code: 0x8002
>> > Error occurred, code: 0x8002
>> >
>> > Removal Tool Results:
>> > No infection found.
>> >
>> > Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Tue Jan 11
>> > 14:23:44
>> > 2005
>> > *******END LOG*******
>> >
>> > Why does the File replication service fail. I know I am not infected
>> > but
>> > wanted to test out this new tool. I use McAfee's Stinger, and GDATA's
>> > Remover with no issues at all.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Mike,
I did a scan on another pc with the downloaded tool, via a network share,
no errors. So I cleaned the log file on this machine and ran it again from
the onlne location with the same results. I thought it might be a resident
AV issue but I uninstalled he AV and cleaned the PC but still same results,
with the online tool.
Log attached.

Dan

*******BEGIN LOG*******
Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool v1.0, January 2005
Started On Tue Jan 11 23:27:29 2005

Error occurred, code: 0x8002
Error occurred, code: 0x8002

Removal Tool Results:
No infection found.

Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Tue Jan 11 23:27:35 2005
*******END LOG*******

"Mike Treit [MSFT]" wrote:

> Thanks, Dan, for reporting this.
>
> We are still investigating the issue, but initial indications are that this
> is benign and can be ignored.
>
> I would be interested in knowing if you see this running the copy of the
> tool you downloaded on another computer.
>
> It would also be interesting to know if you see this same error in the log
> file when running via the web page at:
> http://www.microsoft.com/malwareremove
>
> Please rename the existing log file, then run the tool via the above web
> page and send the contents of the new log.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Mike
>
> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Mike,
> > It seems to only be on this machine here, and yes every time,
> > Is there a place I can submit this info, or if you need more what would
> > you
> > like?
> > The log file is attached again.
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > *******START LOG*******
> > Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool v1.0, January 2005
> > Started On Tue Jan 11 19:44:43 2005
> >
> > Error occurred, code: 0x8002
> > Error occurred, code: 0x8002
> >
> > Removal Tool Results:
> > No infection found.
> >
> > Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Tue Jan 11 19:44:49
> > 2005
> >

> > Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool v1.0, January 2005
> > Started On Tue Jan 11 20:15:07 2005
> >
> > Error occurred, code: 0x8002
> > Error occurred, code: 0x8002
> >
> > Removal Tool Results:
> > No infection found.
> >
> > Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Tue Jan 11 20:15:08
> > 2005
> > *******END LOG*******
> >

> > "Mike Treit [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Dan.
> >>
> >> Do you see this error in the log file every time you run the tool?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> -Mike
> >>
> >> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Great, thanks for following up. As I mentioned earlier, this should in all
likelihood be benign, but we're still looking into it.

Please do re-install your AV software, as this tool is, of course, not a
replacement for a full antivirus product.

Thanks again.

-Mike

> [...]
>> > you
>> > like?
>> > The log file is attached again.
>> >
>> > Dan
>> >
>> > *******START LOG*******
>> > Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool v1.0, January 2005
>> > Started On Tue Jan 11 19:44:43 2005
>> >
>> > Error occurred, code: 0x8002
>> > Error occurred, code: 0x8002
>> >
>> > Removal Tool Results:
>> > No infection found.
>> >
>> > Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Tue Jan 11
>> > 19:44:49
>> > 2005
>> >

>> > Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool v1.0, January 2005
>> > Started On Tue Jan 11 20:15:07 2005
>> >
>> > Error occurred, code: 0x8002
>> > Error occurred, code: 0x8002
>> >
>> > Removal Tool Results:
>> > No infection found.
>> >
>> > Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Tue Jan 11

As a side note I uploaded a HTML report of my entire system maybe that
will help
http://www.zer0-tec.net/SysLogs/TiAllInfo.htm

HTH!

Dan