I am still getting these error messages at startup

January 12, 2005 2:30:33 AM

Hi there,

despite helpful advice, I am still getting these error
messages when I start the computer, (i.e. registry cleaning
has not sorted this out).

After a search for temporary files, (i.e. *.tmp), followed
by their removal,

(recommended by Kodak for a clean installation of digital
camera software),

I repeatedly receive two error messages when I start the
computer

With the understanding that you should be reading 6 little

squares inside the single quote marks, their wordings are:-

1) Windows cannot find ' '.Make sure you typed the name

correctly, and then try again.

2) Could not load or run ' ' specified in the registry. Make

sure the file exists on your computer or remove the

reference to it in the registry.

Unfortunately, I cannot search for the reference ' ' as I
cannot make the 6 little squares appear in the entry line of
Search. Also, have no experience with the registry, so I
will not attempt to edit it by hand.

I am reluctant to call in an expert just for this, when
everything else seems to be OK.

Can someone suggest some other approach that would be likely
to be successful in removing the reference ' ', or blocking
these annoying error messages.

Thanks for your help - Ian Hutcheson

Please post replies here, or to my e-mail address below.

ianz9y8@hotmail.com

More about : error messages startup

Anonymous
January 12, 2005 2:30:34 AM

You might want to try the following:

Go to Start -> Run.
Type msconfig in the Open box.
Select the Startup tab.
See if there's an entry similar to the error message you're
getting or a line with a blank entry.
If there is, remove the check mark next to it.
Click OK.
Select the option to restart your computer.
When your computer restarts you'll see a warning about running in
diagnostic mode.
Put a check in the box about not showing this again and click OK.
If the same error message comes back, let us know.

--
Nepatsfan
"Ian Hutcheson" <Ian@z9y8.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o 0tm$VD%23EHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

> Hi there,
>
> despite helpful advice, I am still getting these error
> messages when I start the computer, (i.e. registry cleaning
> has not sorted this out).
>
> After a search for temporary files, (i.e. *.tmp), followed
> by their removal,
>
> (recommended by Kodak for a clean installation of digital
> camera software),
>
> I repeatedly receive two error messages when I start the
> computer
>
> With the understanding that you should be reading 6 little
>
> squares inside the single quote marks, their wordings are:-
>
> 1) Windows cannot find ' '.Make sure you typed the name
>
> correctly, and then try again.
>
> 2) Could not load or run ' ' specified in the registry. Make
>
> sure the file exists on your computer or remove the
>
> reference to it in the registry.
>
> Unfortunately, I cannot search for the reference ' ' as I
> cannot make the 6 little squares appear in the entry line of
> Search. Also, have no experience with the registry, so I
> will not attempt to edit it by hand.
>
> I am reluctant to call in an expert just for this, when
> everything else seems to be OK.
>
> Can someone suggest some other approach that would be likely
> to be successful in removing the reference ' ', or blocking
> these annoying error messages.
>
> Thanks for your help - Ian Hutcheson
>
> Please post replies here, or to my e-mail address below.
>
> ianz9y8@hotmail.com

Anonymous
January 12, 2005 4:56:20 AM

It worked!

Details:

Selected the Startup tab.

There was an entry similar to the error message

-it read HKU\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Windows:Load

removed the check mark, followed other instructions, no
error messages after restart.

Great, Thank you - Ian Hutcheson
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 4:56:21 AM

Glad to hear that helped. What you had happening is usually the
result of having removed some type of pest (virus, worm, malware,
etc.). When the offending item has been deleted there may still
be some pointers to it in the registry to have it run on startup.

Note: If you plan on posting to newsgroups, I'd suggest you not
post your email address. It's an open invitation to spammers. You
might want to take a look at this article:

http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

--

!