changing the name in C:documents and settings folder

Equipment:

Dell Dimension 4500
Windows XP Home Edition

Problem:

I want to change the name that shows up in the C:\documents and
settings folder. it is the name that shows up as the pathway to every
file. (C:\Documents and Settings\"NAME"\My Documents, etc.) how do i do
that?

--
juptonrowley
2 answers Last reply

    juptonrowley wrote:
    > Equipment:
    >
    > Dell Dimension 4500
    > Windows XP Home Edition
    >
    > Problem:
    >
    > I want to change the name that shows up in the C:\documents and
    > settings folder. it is the name that shows up as the pathway to every
    > file. (C:\Documents and Settings\"NAME"\My Documents, etc.) how do i
    > do that?

    It's tied to your login/username. You could create a new user account with
    admin rights that is named what you wish, log in with it, and copy any data
    you need from the other/old folder. Or, easier still, leave it be. :)

    juptonrowley wrote:
    > Equipment:
    >
    > Dell Dimension 4500
    > Windows XP Home Edition
    >
    > Problem:
    >
    > I want to change the name that shows up in the C:\documents and
    > settings folder. it is the name that shows up as the pathway to every
    > file. (C:\Documents and Settings\"NAME"\My Documents, etc.) how do i do
    > that?

    Because the user profile folders (C:\Documents and
    Settings\Username)_cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user
    account has been, your best course of action would be to log on using
    the built-in Administrator account, create a new user account, with the
    username desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH