9800 Pro TV out, bad?

I am surprised to see that the 9800 pro TV out quality is really bad,there
is a brighter bar on the screen, very obvious on a dark background, and the
image is kind of washed out...

Is this normal for ATI9800 pro?

jlc

"I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am surprised to see that the 9800 pro TV out quality is really bad,there
> is a brighter bar on the screen, very obvious on a dark background, and
the
> image is kind of washed out...
>
> Is this normal for ATI9800 pro?

I'm very surprised to hear this. I have a 9800Pro and the TV output is very
good with my setup. I'm using the regular line out into a 20 year old NEC TV
and it looks fantastic. I watch DVD's and cable channels that are feed
through my VCR into my Hauppauge WinTV PCI Card. What I find interesting is
that the TV/VCR output is much better on my TV then when viewed on my
monitor. I always thought that my TV card was not that great tell I got my
9800Pro and ran it into my TV. DVD's look crisp and the color's are great.
Sorry your card is having problems. I'm assuming you have an AIW 9800Pro?
Our do you have a TV card ? What is a "brighter bar" ? Have you tried
adjusting the ATI color controls?
JLC

Thanks for replying, JLC.
The card is a brand new 128m 9800 pro, not an AIW

Two things I am not happy about the TV out:
1) The image does NOT fill the TV screen, there is a frame around it. if I
turn on "overscan", the TV screen is full, but I lose parts of the images.

2) There is a brighter area scrolling from the bottom to the top of TV
images, noticeable when a dark background is shown on TV.

> Thanks for replying, JLC.
> The card is a brand new 128m 9800 pro, not an AIW
>
> Two things I am not happy about the TV out:
> 1) The image does NOT fill the TV screen, there is a frame around it. if I
> turn on "overscan", the TV screen is full, but I lose parts of the images.
>
> 2) There is a brighter area scrolling from the bottom to the top of TV
> images, noticeable when a dark background is shown on TV.

Since I'm only using my 9800's output to watch DVD's/TV on my TV I set my
monitors resolution to 800x600. Then I switch the output to the TV which
turns the signal off to my monitor. That way the output is easily fit to the
size of the TV screen by using the ATI TV size controls. I don't use
overscan. If you just double click on the TV when you're looking at the ATI
output applet, this will bring up the controls.What are you using your TV
for? Are you outputting DVD playback? Have you had a card in the past hooked
up to this TV and did it look OK? I'm wondering if it might be your TV that
is having the problem. Do you have another set that you could try it out on?
Good luck OK, JLC

On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:42:34 -0400, I discuss wrote:

> Well, for starters, my old card, an Asus V7100 delux combo, doesn't output a
> rolling brighter bar on TV screen!
> I am a little disappointed with 9800 pro!

Hello,

try pulling out all connection cables from your TV, except the
S-video cable from your graphics card, this solved the problem for me.

As soon as you connect more than one elcectrical network on my
TV, I get these distortions, I solved it by buying a special
filter and plugging it between my antenna connection and the
antenna cable.

Janni

On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:49:57 +0200, Paul Brause
<Paul_Brause@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:42:34 -0400, I discuss wrote:
>
>> Well, for starters, my old card, an Asus V7100 delux combo, doesn't output a
>> rolling brighter bar on TV screen!
>> I am a little disappointed with 9800 pro!
>
>Hello,
>
>try pulling out all connection cables from your TV, except the
>S-video cable from your graphics card, this solved the problem for me.
>
>As soon as you connect more than one elcectrical network on my
>TV, I get these distortions, I solved it by buying a special
>filter and plugging it between my antenna connection and the
>antenna cable.
>
>Janni

Earth loop?

patrickp

>>> Well, for starters, my old card, an Asus V7100 delux combo, doesn't output a
>>> rolling brighter bar on TV screen!
>>> I am a little disappointed with 9800 pro!
>>
>>try pulling out all connection cables from your TV, except the
>>S-video cable from your graphics card, this solved the problem for me.
>>
>>As soon as you connect more than one elcectrical network on my
>>TV, I get these distortions, I solved it by buying a special
>>filter and plugging it between my antenna connection and the
>>antenna cable.
>>

> Earth loop?

Hi,

yes, I think in english it is called earth loop.
The german word for the device I am using is "Mantelstromfilter".

Janni

On Wed, 19 May 2004 02:03:59 +0200, Paul Brause

>>>try pulling out all connection cables from your TV, except the
>>>S-video cable from your graphics card, this solved the problem for me.
>>>
>>>As soon as you connect more than one elcectrical network on my
>>>TV, I get these distortions, I solved it by buying a special
>>>filter and plugging it between my antenna connection and the
>>>antenna cable.
>>>

>> Earth loop?
>
>Hi,
>
>yes, I think in english it is called earth loop.
>The german word for the device I am using is "Mantelstromfilter".
>
>Janni

Earth loops are when you get multiple paths to earth, which can set up
unwanted oscillations. With analog audio applications, it's customary
to set systems up so that earth loops are eliminated: eg, screens are
only connected at one end, earthing is all done through one device
etc. This is because the effects of a loop are immediately obvious:
hum etc. I suppose digital signals should not be so badly affected by
earth loops, but it's certainly not impossible that they would be.

A problem that is solved by disconnecting all leads but one (which
should mean there is only one earth path, particularly if one
connected device is not earthed) and/or the use of a filter (which
might well reduce or remove the unwanted oscillations) does suggest
that earth loops might be involved.

If it is caused by an earth loop, the best solution would be to sort
out your earthing arrangements so as to eliminate multiple paths to
earth.

patrickp