Corrupted registry Question

Tags:
  • Registry
  • Windows XP
January 12, 2005 12:37:02 AM

Can I reset the registry using the "last known good configuration" tool in
safe mode or am I going to have to do a complete reformat and install? In
other words can I do this without the WindowsXP disc because if not I may as
well go ahead and do a recovery disc number and reformat right? I have no
access to the system restore function through the normal means, wow is this
frustrating!

More about : corrupted registry question

January 12, 2005 9:57:45 AM

poker_pro@hotmail.com wrote:

> Can I reset the registry using the "last known good configuration"
> tool in safe mode or am I going to have to do a complete reformat and
> install? In other words can I do this without the WindowsXP disc
> because if not I may as well go ahead and do a recovery disc number
> and reformat right? I have no access to the system restore function
> through the normal means, wow is this frustrating!

Here is a Knowledge Base article to help you:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545 - How to Recover from a
Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows from Starting

Since we don't have any details about your computer or what happened,
you can't get a more specific answer. Under normal circumstances, you
do need an XP cd to do advanced repairs. If you only have a "restore
disk" type of cd, you might want to consider taking the machine to a
good local repair shop if you don't want to return the machine to
factory condition.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User