Menu bar is gone from explorer (windows 7)

jvon

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
Hello,
my menu bar is gone from explorer (windows 7) can only access it from alt key and won't stay visible
I'm not in full screen and when I use the alt key to display the menu bar and go to view..toolbars...menu toolbar is checked but disappears anyway even if I lock the toolbars.
It is not even listed under the tools..toolbars option. How do I get it to stay visible? The arrow for the last pages that you visited is gone as well. What a pain!

bmathews

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
If you use the menu bar quite often and would like to have it on all the time like in Windows XP, proceed with the following steps:

1. Open Explorer or My Computer Window.
2. Click on “Organize” and then select “Folder and search options”.
3. In Folder Options, click on “View” tab.
4. Check “Always show menus” in advanced settings.
5. Click “OK”.

That’s it. Now menu will be always shown in Explorer / My Computer Windows.

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

mibix19

Distinguished
Are you refering to Internet Explorer 9? If that is the case then there is no way to keep the menu bar permanently on display. You will just have to use the alt key, unless Microsoft restore it in the final release.

mibix19

Distinguished
Yes. Just go to Control Panel / Programs and features. On the left hand side You will see view installed updates. Click on that and look for Internet Explorer 9. Highlight it and click uninstall update. You will revert to IE8

jvon

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010

Thank you so much.
You are my new hero of the day!!
I unistalled Explorer 9 update and all is right with the world again, or my computer at least.
Thanks for your help everyone.