ATI Radeon 9100 64 Meg

Hello!

I am trying to get a good laptop to play some of the more recent
games. The Computer Company is trying to give me a ATI Radeon 9100 64
Meg.
Can you tell me if it has it's own memory or if it pulls from the
Onboard Memory?

Thanks,

Keep Smilin'
Moretakitty
>^,,^<

It should have own memory. All ati-mobility-radeon cards (7500 and above)
use seperate memory.

I've never heard about a mobility 9100 card.?! (9100 is same as slower
version 8500, 8500LE). It must be a Mobility Radeon 9000 64mb. Which is a ok
card for rpg, sim and racing games from 2003-2002. However, most new FPS
games run slow on it.

"Moretakitty" <moretakitty@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I am trying to get a good laptop to play some of the more recent
> games. The Computer Company is trying to give me a ATI Radeon 9100 64
> Meg.
> Can you tell me if it has it's own memory or if it pulls from the
> Onboard Memory?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Keep Smilin'
> Moretakitty
> >^,,^<

It is built into the motherboard and uses system RAM.

--
DaveW

"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in news:5Jbqc.70318$z06.9202462@attbi_s01:

> It is built into the motherboard and uses system RAM.

how can you be so sure? in fact, i'd say you are incorrect. most laptops
with graphics by ATI/Nvideo use AGP, and *dedicated* video RAM

The 9100 is actually a slower, clocked down version of the 8500.

Mike

"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
> It should have own memory. All ati-mobility-radeon cards (7500 and above)
> use seperate memory.
>
> I've never heard about a mobility 9100 card.?! (9100 is same as slower
> version 8500, 8500LE). It must be a Mobility Radeon 9000 64mb. Which is a
ok
> card for rpg, sim and racing games from 2003-2002. However, most new FPS
> games run slow on it.
>

> "Moretakitty" <moretakitty@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> > Hello!
> >
> > I am trying to get a good laptop to play some of the more recent
> > games. The Computer Company is trying to give me a ATI Radeon 9100 64
> > Meg.
> > Can you tell me if it has it's own memory or if it pulls from the
> > Onboard Memory?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Keep Smilin'
> > Moretakitty
> > >^,,^<

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Moretakitty" <moretakitty@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I am trying to get a good laptop to play some of the more recent
> games. The Computer Company is trying to give me a ATI Radeon 9100 64
> Meg.
> Can you tell me if it has it's own memory or if it pulls from the
> Onboard Memory?

The only Radeon 9100 I'm aware of available for laptops is the Radeon 9100
IGP, and it does not have discrete soldered on DDR memory. It shares the
system RAM on a 128bit path, from 16Mb minumun to 128Mb maximum. Core speed
is 300Mhz, memory 200Mhz (400Mhz). The Radeon 9000 IGP is it's crippled
twin, with a 64bit memory path to main memory. And it's something that's
integrated into the mainboard, not an add in card. As laptop video goes,
it's decent but don't expect Radeon 8500 level performance out of it.
There's a mobility 9200, 9600, 9600 Pro and a mobility 9700 also. These last
two are a much faster choice.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> how can you be so sure? in fact, i'd say you are incorrect. most laptops
> with graphics by ATI/Nvideo use AGP, and *dedicated* video RAM

I'm sure... the higher end mobility products do have discrete DDR video RAM.
The 9100 IGP is not one of these. It uses a user definable amount, from 16Mb
to 128Mb.
http://www.ati.com/products/mobilityradeon9100igp/features.html

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message news:<a5gqc.18917$0e6.1468@clgrps13>...

> The only Radeon 9100 I'm aware of available for laptops is the Radeon 9100
> IGP, and it does not have discrete soldered on DDR memory. It shares the
> system RAM on a 128bit path, from 16Mb minumun to 128Mb maximum. Core speed
> is 300Mhz, memory 200Mhz (400Mhz). The Radeon 9000 IGP is it's crippled
> twin, with a 64bit memory path to main memory. And it's something that's
> integrated into the mainboard, not an add in card. As laptop video goes,
> it's decent but don't expect Radeon 8500 level performance out of it.
> There's a mobility 9200, 9600, 9600 Pro and a mobility 9700 also. These last
> two are a much faster choice.

Thank you for the information. Now before I go back to the PC shop
screaming my heart out for being sold something that I did not ask
for, can you please make sure I have it right?
The ATI Radeon 9100 AGP 64 Meg and the RADEON™ 9100 PRO IGP are the
same card. They pull from the system RAM and is integrated.

Is this correct?

Moretakitty

> I'm sure... the higher end mobility products do have discrete DDR
> video RAM. The 9100 IGP is not one of these. It uses a user definable
> amount, from 16Mb to 128Mb.

i stand corrected! boy im glad i opted for a notebook with Mobility Radeon
9200 instead of the IGP!!!

There was a Mobility Radeon 9000, not IGP, it has 64Mb on-chip 128bit ddr
ram. Not to mention it was a big hit in 2002, I bought my laptop with it,
and was satisfied so long i had that system.
It's core was 250 , memory 200(400 effective). It would overclock core to
275-290MHz easily.. so it was not that bad.

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message

> "Moretakitty" <moretakitty@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> > Hello!
> >
> > I am trying to get a good laptop to play some of the more recent
> > games. The Computer Company is trying to give me a ATI Radeon 9100 64
> > Meg.
> > Can you tell me if it has it's own memory or if it pulls from the
> > Onboard Memory?
>
> The only Radeon 9100 I'm aware of available for laptops is the Radeon 9100
> IGP, and it does not have discrete soldered on DDR memory. It shares the
> system RAM on a 128bit path, from 16Mb minumun to 128Mb maximum. Core
speed
> is 300Mhz, memory 200Mhz (400Mhz). The Radeon 9000 IGP is it's crippled
> twin, with a 64bit memory path to main memory. And it's something that's
> integrated into the mainboard, not an add in card. As laptop video goes,
> it's decent but don't expect Radeon 8500 level performance out of it.
> There's a mobility 9200, 9600, 9600 Pro and a mobility 9700 also. These
last
> two are a much faster choice.

bill

In article <TXAqc.25756$Md.24512@lakeread05>,
moretakitty@nospam.bigfoot.com says...
<
<snip>
<
<My dissapointment lies from the fact that we specifically requested a laptop
<that would work for gaming. We had requested a Video card that was not
<integrated... so I wanted to ensure that we had the correct information.
<Thank you so much for all of your help!!
<
<Moretakitty
<
<
<

I've never heard of a laptop that had a graphics chip that wasn't
built into the motherboard. Is such a thing even made?

Bill

Andrew

On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:59:12 -0700, bill
<spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote:

> I've never heard of a laptop that had a graphics chip that wasn't
>built into the motherboard. Is such a thing even made?

NVidia is looking to change that situation:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_mxm/

bill

In article <hnula0to3s61qu3rglqq1uv4r3hpb3ur44@4ax.com>,
spamtrap@localhost says...
<On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:59:12 -0700, bill
<<spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote:
<
<> I've never heard of a laptop that had a graphics chip that wasn't
<>built into the motherboard. Is such a thing even made?
<
<NVidia is looking to change that situation:
<http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_mxm/
<

IOW, not at the present time. Correct? I do remember seeing some
docking stations that would take a PCI video card that did the
graphics for the laptop when the laptop was docked.

Bill

The Area 51 laptops have replaceable video cards, my Dell Inspiron 5100 has
a replaceable video card, and so does the Dell Inspiron 5150, the 8200, the
1150, as well as the Dell XPS. Not all laptops have the video chipset built
into the motherboard any more. As a matter of fact, I have just ordered an
ATI Radeon 9000 64mb video card to replce my present ATI Radeon 7500 64mb
version. You do of course have to get a vendor specific video card for this.

"bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
> In article <TXAqc.25756$Md.24512@lakeread05>,
> moretakitty@nospam.bigfoot.com says...
> <
> <snip>
> <
> <My dissapointment lies from the fact that we specifically requested a
laptop
> <that would work for gaming. We had requested a Video card that was not
> <integrated... so I wanted to ensure that we had the correct information.
> <Thank you so much for all of your help!!
> <
> <Moretakitty
> <
> <
> <
>
> I've never heard of a laptop that had a graphics chip that wasn't
> built into the motherboard. Is such a thing even made?
>
> Bill

bill

In article <1084973401.81668@news>, not@home.today says...
<The Area 51 laptops have replaceable video cards, my Dell Inspiron 5100 has
<a replaceable video card, and so does the Dell Inspiron 5150, the 8200, the
<1150, as well as the Dell XPS. Not all laptops have the video chipset built
<into the motherboard any more. As a matter of fact, I have just ordered an
<ATI Radeon 9000 64mb video card to replce my present ATI Radeon 7500 64mb
<version. You do of course have to get a vendor specific video card for this.
<

<snip>

Thanks for the info. Dell, hmmm. The wife has had Dell 5100
laptops issued to her from her work. Seven of them. They've died
from hard drive failures, display failures, motherboard failures,
and failure to charge the battery. I'm gonna pass on Dell. Think
I'll beam over to Area 51 to eyeball a possible replacement for my
old Gateway 9300 XL Pentium II 366 MHz laptop.

Hope you have better luck with your Dell than my wife has had with
hers.

Bill

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> My dissapointment lies from the fact that we specifically requested a
laptop
> that would work for gaming. We had requested a Video card that was not
> integrated... so I wanted to ensure that we had the correct information.
> Thank you so much for all of your help!!
>
> Moretakitty

There's only a few very high end laptops that have removable/upgradeable add
in video cards. One of the custom fabbers and Dell I believe. All the others
When you open the Control Panel /System Properties/ Device Manager and click
on display adapters, what exactly does it say?

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message news:<_9Lqc.9$SQ2.0@edtnps89>...
> > My dissapointment lies from the fact that we specifically requested a
> laptop
> > that would work for gaming. We had requested a Video card that was not
> > integrated... so I wanted to ensure that we had the correct information.
> > Thank you so much for all of your help!!
> >
> > Moretakitty
>
> There's only a few very high end laptops that have removable/upgradeable add
> in video cards. One of the custom fabbers and Dell I believe. All the others
> When you open the Control Panel /System Properties/ Device Manager and click
> on display adapters, what exactly does it say?

No idea, I sent it back. This was supposed to be a custom job... but
it seems like I got this instead.

http://support.tangent.com/laptop/nbc-030.htm#specs