New 10000RPM ATA hard drive, and ATI X800

What do you think about this Combo?

ATI X800
Western Digital 74GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 10,000RPM
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
17 answers Last reply
More about 10000rpm hard drive x800

    On 18 May 2004 01:53:12 GMT, pccomputerdr@aol.com (Pccomputerdr)
    wrote:

    >What do you think about this Combo?
    >
    >ATI X800
    >Western Digital 74GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 10,000RPM
    >AMD Athlon 64 3400+

    Nice, and don't forget to add a gb of ram.

    <drools>

    "Pccomputerdr" <pccomputerdr@aol.com> wrote in message
    > What do you think about this Combo?
    >
    > ATI X800
    > Western Digital 74GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 10,000RPM
    > AMD Athlon 64 3400+

    >Nice, and don't forget to add a gb of ram.

    You're right. I forgot to add one of the most important and significant
    components of that combo, ASUS motherboard.

    Here is my new list.

    ATI X800
    ASUS K8N-E DELUXE Motherboard
    Western Digital 74GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 10,000RPM
    AMD Athlon 64 3400+
    2GB of Ram

    I think you should buy it.

    Pccomputerdr wrote:
    >> Nice, and don't forget to add a gb of ram.
    >
    > You're right. I forgot to add one of the most important and
    > significant components of that combo, ASUS motherboard.
    >
    > Here is my new list.
    >
    > ATI X800
    > ASUS K8N-E DELUXE Motherboard
    > Western Digital 74GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 10,000RPM
    > AMD Athlon 64 3400+
    > 2GB of Ram

    "Pccomputerdr" <pccomputerdr@aol.com> wrote in message

    " What do you think about this Combo? ATI X800, Western Digital 74GB Serial
    ATA Hard Drive with 10,000RPM, AMD Athlon 64 3400+ "

    It's not going to work. You'll need a case, PSU, motherboard, RAM, CPU HSF,
    cables, and some I/O and optical devices. ;o)

    "Pccomputerdr" <pccomputerdr@aol.com> wrote in message
    > What do you think about this Combo?
    >
    > ATI X800
    > Western Digital 74GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 10,000RPM
    > AMD Athlon 64 3400+

    Not bad... but I'd consider getting two of the 34gig Raptors instead of a
    single 74gig drive. Not to run in RAID, but having system files on a drive
    separate from data does make a BIG difference to the snappiness of your
    system.

    Sounds excellent......DDR400? :)

    > >Nice, and don't forget to add a gb of ram.
    >
    > You're right. I forgot to add one of the most important and significant
    > components of that combo, ASUS motherboard.
    >
    > Here is my new list.
    >
    > ATI X800
    > ASUS K8N-E DELUXE Motherboard
    > Western Digital 74GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 10,000RPM
    > AMD Athlon 64 3400+
    > 2GB of Ram

    You left out the Adaptec 2100s SCSI raid controller with 2 - 15,000rpm SCSI
    72gb seagate drives striped.
    "Pccomputerdr" <pccomputerdr@aol.com> wrote in message
    > What do you think about this Combo?
    >
    > ATI X800
    > Western Digital 74GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 10,000RPM
    > AMD Athlon 64 3400+

    "Pccomputerdr" <pccomputerdr@aol.com> wrote in message
    > What do you think about this Combo?
    >
    > ATI X800
    > Western Digital 74GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 10,000RPM
    > AMD Athlon 64 3400+

    I think the hd capacity is too low

    other wise it should be hot in both meanings of the word

    8-)

    torr

    "Pccomputerdr" <pccomputerdr@aol.com> wrote in message
    > What do you think about this Combo?
    >
    > ATI X800
    > Western Digital 74GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 10,000RPM
    > AMD Athlon 64 3400+

    Why an AMD Athlon 64 3400+?

    If you're on a budget then the 3000+ is half the price and not that much
    slower. If you're a rich bastard then the FX-53 is unbeatable.

    Malc

    Is SATA something new? My machine is a few years old--do you think it could
    support the 10,000 rpm drive?
    Chalky

    Chalky wrote:
    > Is SATA something new?

    Yep. It's a new interface for hard drives. It's similar to USB in that
    it's a serial connecton on a differential pair. the peak transfer rate
    across this interface is currently 150MB/s, but don't expect that speed up
    hard drives.

    > My machine is a few years old--do you think it
    > could support the 10,000 rpm drive?

    Yeah. You'll need a PCI SATA card (cheap enough if you can afford the drive
    :-p). This will obviously restrict your peak transfers to the weakest link
    in the chain - the PCI bus at 133MB/s. Still, you can't sustain even
    80Megs/s from the drive, so it shouldn't be an real issue. Having a SATA
    controller built into the chipset is the best solution but is by no means
    compulsory, and rarely noticeable... depending on what else is on the same
    PCI bus.

    The drive in question has a few advantages over regular ATA devices in that
    it's 10k RPM, so latency is reduced. There are other advantages in the
    controller such as tagged command queuing, but I doubt that'll do much for
    you, unless you run a server with high I/O (in which case I would recommend
    a chipset with built in SATA controller).

    I have the WD360GD and it's pretty good, the WD740GD is even better. The
    most noticeable aspect is seek time thats reduced... transfer rates are not
    that dissimilar to current 7200RPM drives, but you can really notice the
    reduced seek (if you know what you're looking for). It makes it feel
    faster.

    Ben

    wrote:

    >What do you think about this Combo?
    >
    >ATI X800
    >Western Digital 74GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 10,000RPM
    >AMD Athlon 64 3400+

    drool...

    But ya know... for that kind of money, you can pay for 6 sessions with
    a woman....
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    >You left out the Adaptec 2100s SCSI raid controller with 2 - 15,000rpm SCSI
    >72gb seagate drives striped.

    I am not into SCSI hard drives. SCSI hard drives are ridiculously expensive.

    73GB Cheetah SCSI Hard Drive with 15000RPM is $650, you need a SCSI controller
    card that costs another hundred dollars or so.

    74GB Western Digital Serial ATA Hard Drive (Raptor) with 10000RPM is only $250,
    and it doesn't require any controller card given the fact that all new
    motherboard have ATA socket.

    Because SCSI drives require different initialization at boot-up, there is a
    significant delay to boot up the Operating system. Performance-wise, in my own
    experience with Cheetah SCSI drive with 15000RPM, I didn't feel any faster
    performance of the hard drive when compared to regular IDE hard drive with
    7200RPM. At the time, I was using Windows 98 as my operating system, and some
    say Windows 98 doesn't utilize SCSI drives. Maybe my negative and
    unsatisfactory experience with Cheetah SCSI drive with 15000RPM might be due to
    the limitations of the operating system. I mean, other than playing games and
    doing daily stuff on the computer, I am not using any other programs that take
    advantage of the features of the SCSI drive. Maybe that's why I didn't feel any
    difference performance-wise. I don't know...!?!

    With this new Western Digital Serial ATA hard drive at 10000RPM, I don't think
    it is all that appealing to get a SCSI hard drive with a big price tag.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    pccomputerdr@aol.com (Pccomputerdr) wrote in message news:<20040517215312.21319.00001645@mb-m04.aol.com>...
    > What do you think about this Combo?
    >
    > ATI X800
    > Western Digital 74GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 10,000RPM
    > AMD Athlon 64 3400+

    Should work...should work!

    The WD Raptors are SCSI disks with a SATA connection so they are
    definitly more trustable then IDE disks....
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    My thing with SCSI is that I trust it more and I can have 4 drives internal
    and 4 external. When I used to go to LAN party's I could be playing a game
    and not notice when somebody was copying stuff off my shared drives. I have
    also had fewer problems with burning at high speeds. here is what I'm
    running until there is a full release of XP 64bit and the X800 are out. This
    box is used for gaming and video capture. My laptop is for browsing the web.

    Video= Radeon 9800 pro
    Memory= 1gb PC3200 400mhz
    SCSI Raid controller= AAA-131u2w raid
    drives= 2 - 36gb 15,000rpm cheetahs Raid 0
    SCSI drive controller= 29160
    Drives= 4 - 18.2gb 10,000rpm in an external drive cage Raid 5
    Processor= AMD 2600+ Barton 333mhz
    Motherboard= Giga-byte GA-7N400 Pro2 NVIDIA nForce(tm)2 Ultra 400 this
    board kick ass Highly recommended
    Onboard= 10/100/1000 NIC - 6 channel sound
    CD/DVD= SCSI yamaha Burner, SCSI pioneer DVD reader, and Liteon IDE Liteon
    4x DVD + and - burner

    > >You left out the Adaptec 2100s SCSI raid controller with 2 - 15,000rpm
    > >SCSI
    >>72gb seagate drives striped.
    >
    > I am not into SCSI hard drives. SCSI hard drives are ridiculously
    > expensive.
    >
    > 73GB Cheetah SCSI Hard Drive with 15000RPM is $650, you need a SCSI
    > controller
    > card that costs another hundred dollars or so.
    >
    > 74GB Western Digital Serial ATA Hard Drive (Raptor) with 10000RPM is only
    > $250,
    > and it doesn't require any controller card given the fact that all new
    > motherboard have ATA socket.
    >
    > Because SCSI drives require different initialization at boot-up, there is
    > significant delay to boot up the Operating system. Performance-wise, in my
    > own
    > experience with Cheetah SCSI drive with 15000RPM, I didn't feel any faster
    > performance of the hard drive when compared to regular IDE hard drive with
    > 7200RPM. At the time, I was using Windows 98 as my operating system, and
    > some
    > say Windows 98 doesn't utilize SCSI drives. Maybe my negative and
    > unsatisfactory experience with Cheetah SCSI drive with 15000RPM might be
    > due to
    > the limitations of the operating system. I mean, other than playing games
    > and
    > doing daily stuff on the computer, I am not using any other programs that
    > take
    > advantage of the features of the SCSI drive. Maybe that's why I didn't
    > feel any
    > difference performance-wise. I don't know...!?!
    >
    > With this new Western Digital Serial ATA hard drive at 10000RPM, I don't
    > think
    > it is all that appealing to get a SCSI hard drive with a big price tag.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On 18 May 2004 03:26:02 GMT, pccomputerdr@aol.com (Pccomputerdr)
    wrote:

    >2GB of Ram

    2gb is nice but not necessary. I doubt you will see much difference in
    performance between 1gb and 2gb. But if you have the bucks go for it.

Radeon Western Digital Hard Drives ATI Graphics