User profiles

Hi all,

I want to create user profiles in the hard disk BEFORE the users log in. The
scenario is: we have old machines with user profiles containing real data and
we want to replace this old computers with new ones. We want that the users
arrive to new pcs, log in and ... voila, every data is there.

We though we'll solve the problem if we make a copy from Default User
profile directory and then make the required modifications to the registry,
maybe editing ntuser.dat.

This makes any sense? Anyone knows how to do it?

Thanks.
Pedro L.

Lajus Norvejikus wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to create user profiles in the hard disk BEFORE the users log
> in. The scenario is: we have old machines with user profiles
> containing real data and we want to replace this old computers with
> new ones. We want that the users arrive to new pcs, log in and ...
> voila, every data is there.
>
> We though we'll solve the problem if we make a copy from Default User
> profile directory and then make the required modifications to the
> registry, maybe editing ntuser.dat.
>
> This makes any sense? Anyone knows how to do it?
>
> Thanks.
> Pedro L.

Are you on a domain? If so, use roaming profiles.

Hi,

Yes, we are on a domain. But we don't want to use roaming profiles because
it will introduce an great adicional trafic in the network that is not
prepared to do so.

Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks anyway.
Pedro L.

Lajus Norvejikus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, we are on a domain. But we don't want to use roaming profiles
> because it will introduce an great adicional trafic in the network
> that is not prepared to do so.
>
> Do you have other suggestions?

Nope.
I'd really use roaming profiles. If you have good cabling, a decent fast
Ethernet switch, and keep your profiles tiny, it shouldn't represent a major
traffic hit. Redirect My Documents to the users' home directories via group
policy (you can do others as well, such as desktop, etc...but I don't
usually bother, and I advise users that they are not to store files on their
desktops).

> Thanks anyway.
> Pedro L.
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> Lajus Norvejikus wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I want to create user profiles in the hard disk BEFORE the users log
>>> in. The scenario is: we have old machines with user profiles
>>> containing real data and we want to replace this old computers with
>>> new ones. We want that the users arrive to new pcs, log in and ...
>>> voila, every data is there.
>>>
>>> We though we'll solve the problem if we make a copy from Default
>>> User profile directory and then make the required modifications to
>>> the registry, maybe editing ntuser.dat.
>>>
>>> This makes any sense? Anyone knows how to do it?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Pedro L.
>>
>> Are you on a domain? If so, use roaming profiles.

Hi again.

That is the problem. We have lots of users and one slow connection. We will
not use rooming profiles for now.

Anyone has a solution near the one I wrote in the initial post?