Cat 4.5 Blackout

I've noticed since installing Cat4.5's that my screen randomly goes black
for a sec or two. Anyone else had this problem??

If I go back to the 4.4's and it still occurs does anyone have any
suggestions as to what may be causing it

I'm using WinXPpro with a Radeon 9600 Fireblade. No overclock or any other
progs that may be interfering.

TIA

I had something similar when I installed 4.5, the screen went black and out
of sync, but returned eventually. God I hate these drivers... Anyways, when
does it happen? Sometimes my monitor will unsync if the PC is under stress
and running a little slow in games.

"Nick Dalton" <ndaltonPANTS@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've noticed since installing Cat4.5's that my screen randomly goes black
> for a sec or two. Anyone else had this problem??
>
> If I go back to the 4.4's and it still occurs does anyone have any
> suggestions as to what may be causing it
>
> I'm using WinXPpro with a Radeon 9600 Fireblade. No overclock or any
other
> progs that may be interfering.
>
> TIA

"Nick Dalton" <ndaltonPANTS@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message news:40a9d8e5$0$6325$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net...

> I've noticed since installing Cat4.5's that my screen randomly goes black
> for a sec or two. Anyone else had this problem??
>
> If I go back to the 4.4's and it still occurs does anyone have any
> suggestions as to what may be causing it

Sounds like the Catalyst is doing some GPU (graphics processing unit)
auto-recovery...sort of like when the video card firmware "trips" when
communicating with the video card hardware. Setting in ati panel.

For myself...seemed to happen a few times with my 9500pro
so I went back to using plain-jane cat3.7 without any issues.

I think the cat4.5 is mostly geared to support the x800 line,
so how/if that causes any problems with earlier cards is mystery.

--
'Seek and ye shall find'
NT Canuck

After you install the drivers and reboot, the screen will go black for a
moment while the new drivers test the hardware, and then the drivers will
initialize. I'm wondering if somehow the script for the test got corrupted
and it keeps trying to do it over and over. I would try removing the
drivers completely and then reinstall them.

JK

"Nick Dalton" <ndaltonPANTS@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've noticed since installing Cat4.5's that my screen randomly goes black
> for a sec or two. Anyone else had this problem??
>
> If I go back to the 4.4's and it still occurs does anyone have any
> suggestions as to what may be causing it
>
> I'm using WinXPpro with a Radeon 9600 Fireblade. No overclock or any
other
> progs that may be interfering.
>
> TIA

Monitor about to die ?? power saving prob ?

Anyone else.

Did you do a total uninstall, reboot then install the new drivers, not
just over the top ?

HELLO NURSE :)

On Tue, 18 May 2004 10:35:39 +0100, "Nick Dalton"
<ndaltonPANTS@nildram.co.uk> wrote:

>I've noticed since installing Cat4.5's that my screen randomly goes black
>for a sec or two. Anyone else had this problem??
>
>If I go back to the 4.4's and it still occurs does anyone have any
>suggestions as to what may be causing it
>
>I'm using WinXPpro with a Radeon 9600 Fireblade. No overclock or any other
>progs that may be interfering.
>
>TIA

It happens randomly, the monitor is only a year or so old so thats out.
Your right it is like the card is doing a recover job. Thinking about it it
does happen when I am playing or some random time after a heavy graphics
game. I'll try the clean reinstall, I was lazy and installed over the top.

Thanks for the suggestions

8))

Remove with "DriverCleaner 3" too.