XP firewall blocking access to a trusted site

I've has Service Pack 2 for a long time, but recently one certain site is
unaccessible because (the admin people at the site claim) that my XP firewall
is causing access problems. The site is betfair.com, and is a sound
worldwide site.

My browser goes through the 'Opening site....' actions, and then finishes
with 'Done' in the bottom right corner, but the screen remains blank (no
error message, no nothing). Does anyone have any idea why, or what settings
I can change to get at this site?

Help please! Any replies much appreciated - I'm a seriously PC-illiterate
person!

Thanks and regards,

Niall O'Hare
10 answers Last reply
More about firewall blocking access trusted site

    Niall OHare wrote:

    > I've has Service Pack 2 for a long time, but recently one certain site
    > is unaccessible because (the admin people at the site claim) that my
    > XP firewall
    > is causing access problems. The site is betfair.com, and is a sound
    > worldwide site.
    >
    > My browser goes through the 'Opening site....' actions, and then
    > finishes with 'Done' in the bottom right corner, but the screen
    > remains blank (no
    > error message, no nothing). Does anyone have any idea why, or what
    > settings I can change to get at this site?
    >
    > Help please! Any replies much appreciated - I'm a seriously
    > PC-illiterate person!

    Thanks to your excellent, descriptive post - I have the answer for you.
    I went to the site and it opened a popup window. You have popups
    blocked, so look under IE>Tools>Popup Blocker>Settings and add the site
    as allowed to do popups.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke,

    You are a top man! This sorted things out perfectly - you have just brought
    days of frustration to an end.

    Thanks - much apprecaited.

    Niall

    Niall OHare wrote:

    > Malke,
    >
    > You are a top man! This sorted things out perfectly - you have just
    > brought days of frustration to an end.
    >
    > Thanks - much apprecaited.

    No, I'm the top woman ;-) and you are entirely welcome. Thanks for
    taking the time to let me know it worked.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"

    Niall,

    Are you using IE-SPYAD ? IE-SpyAd puts this site to Restricted Zone.

    ; IE-SPYAD: Internet Explorer Restricted Sites List
    ;
    ; Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Eric L. Howes
    ; Contact: <>
    ; Download from: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\betfair.com]
    "*"=dword:00000004

    FYI

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Niall OHare" <Niall OHare@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D2D2A2E1-212D-488A-945B-BD32D8DB756E@microsoft.com...
    I've has Service Pack 2 for a long time, but recently one certain site is
    unaccessible because (the admin people at the site claim) that my XP firewall
    is causing access problems. The site is betfair.com, and is a sound
    worldwide site.

    My browser goes through the 'Opening site....' actions, and then finishes
    with 'Done' in the bottom right corner, but the screen remains blank (no
    error message, no nothing). Does anyone have any idea why, or what settings
    I can change to get at this site?

    Help please! Any replies much appreciated - I'm a seriously PC-illiterate
    person!

    Thanks and regards,

    Niall O'Hare

    Whoops - must be the natural chauvanist in me!!

    You are the top woman, but.... the problem seems to have reoccured. I used
    the site the night I read your reply, with no problem. I tried again today,
    but it seems to be doing what it was before (I've checked where you
    suggested, and the site remains in the list of allowed sites, so something
    else appears to have gone awry). Any other ideas? Please? (I won't call
    you a man again!!)

    I also checked the reply from the other person (Ramesh) - although a little
    technical for me, I don't think I am running that IE-SPYAD that he/she
    mentions.

    Thanks again for your help.

    Niall

    Niall OHare wrote:

    > Whoops - must be the natural chauvanist in me!!
    >
    > You are the top woman, but.... the problem seems to have reoccured.
    > I used
    > the site the night I read your reply, with no problem. I tried again
    > today, but it seems to be doing what it was before (I've checked where
    > you suggested, and the site remains in the list of allowed sites, so
    > something
    > else appears to have gone awry). Any other ideas? Please? (I won't
    > call you a man again!!)
    >
    > I also checked the reply from the other person (Ramesh) - although a
    > little technical for me, I don't think I am running that IE-SPYAD that
    > he/she mentions.

    Do you have any antispyware programs running? I don't mean something
    like Ad-aware, but rather IE protection from Spybot S&D or SpySweeper
    or the beta MS Antispyware program. Since it is a betting site, if you
    have some sort of browser protection program running it might stop you.
    Here are two things to try:

    1. Start>Run> msconfig [enter]

    See what is on the Startup page. Anything that looks similar to what I
    mentioned above?

    2. Try with a different browser. I'm assuming you're using Internet
    Explorer. Download and install Firefox from:

    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/all.html

    Make sure you get the Windows version! Once you've got Firefox
    installed, see what happens when you go to the site.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"

    Malke,

    Thanks for your ongoing help.

    Re 1 below - no, it doesn't look as if anything similar to what you mention
    is on the list in that section.

    Re 2 - I've downloaded the Firefox browser, and the format of the problem
    seems a little different but the same end result happens. When I type the
    web address in the box at the top, the bottom left of the browser starts with
    'Transferring data from www.betfair.com...', then after maybe 20 seconds an
    'Alert' pop-up box appears with 'The operation timed out when attempting to
    contact cache.betfair.com'. If I press 'OK' on this box, the bottom left
    says 'Connecting to cache.betfair.com...', but the exact same box pops up
    about 20 seconds later. And so it goes on....

    I downloaded a 'Deepnet' explorer as well, but no joy there either.

    I've used the web quite a bit over the last few days, and this is the only
    site on which this happens. Unfortunately, it's also the one I'm most keen
    to get at!

    Thanks once again for your very useful advice.

    Niall

    Niall OHare wrote:

    > Malke,
    >
    > Thanks for your ongoing help.
    >
    > Re 1 below - no, it doesn't look as if anything similar to what you
    > mention is on the list in that section.
    >
    > Re 2 - I've downloaded the Firefox browser, and the format of the
    > problem
    > seems a little different but the same end result happens. When I type
    > the web address in the box at the top, the bottom left of the browser
    > starts with 'Transferring data from www.betfair.com...', then after
    > maybe 20 seconds an 'Alert' pop-up box appears with 'The operation
    > timed out when attempting to
    > contact cache.betfair.com'. If I press 'OK' on this box, the bottom
    > left says 'Connecting to cache.betfair.com...', but the exact same box
    > pops up
    > about 20 seconds later. And so it goes on....
    >
    > I downloaded a 'Deepnet' explorer as well, but no joy there either.
    >
    > I've used the web quite a bit over the last few days, and this is the
    > only
    > site on which this happens. Unfortunately, it's also the one I'm most
    > keen to get at!

    Well, it wasn't very useful advice because it didn't get the job done. I
    wonder why you were able to connect once and then not again. Try
    emptying your Temporary Internet Files (from IE's Tools>Internet
    Options). Otherwise, I'm afraid I'm at a loss. The site does act rather
    strange for me in that I can get there fine, but am then unable to
    maximize the page. I'm using Mozilla on Linux, so if the site is trying
    to download something unwanted (I do see a link for downloading a
    toolbar), it can't of course.

    Perhaps you could email the webmaster or call them. Since you can't get
    there, here is the information copied from their page:

    For betting and account enquires: info@betfair.com
    For all marketing enquiries: marketing@betfair.com
    For all employment enquiries: jobs@betfair.com
    For all other business enquires: corporate@betfair.com

    Alternatively, please telephone / fax Betfair directly:

    Telephone Fax
    From North America 011-44-208-834-8060
    From UK 0870 0110 444 0870 0110 555
    Ireland 1-800 944 000
    Australia 1-800 759 354
    International +44 208 834 8060

    Please send all written correspondence to:

    Betfair
    PO Box 34467
    London
    W6 9WS
    United Kingdom

    So, I'm sorry I couldn't solve your problem permanently, but I hope this
    helps a bit.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"

    Malke,

    You've been a star - I'll try the people in charge of the website again, and
    see if they can put it right. Otherwise I'll go gamble my hard-earned cash
    elsewhere!

    Thanks for all your help - much appreciated.

    Niall

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Niall OHare wrote:
    >
    > > Malke,
    > >
    > > Thanks for your ongoing help.
    > >
    > > Re 1 below - no, it doesn't look as if anything similar to what you
    > > mention is on the list in that section.
    > >
    > > Re 2 - I've downloaded the Firefox browser, and the format of the
    > > problem
    > > seems a little different but the same end result happens. When I type
    > > the web address in the box at the top, the bottom left of the browser
    > > starts with 'Transferring data from www.betfair.com...', then after
    > > maybe 20 seconds an 'Alert' pop-up box appears with 'The operation
    > > timed out when attempting to
    > > contact cache.betfair.com'. If I press 'OK' on this box, the bottom
    > > left says 'Connecting to cache.betfair.com...', but the exact same box
    > > pops up
    > > about 20 seconds later. And so it goes on....
    > >
    > > I downloaded a 'Deepnet' explorer as well, but no joy there either.
    > >
    > > I've used the web quite a bit over the last few days, and this is the
    > > only
    > > site on which this happens. Unfortunately, it's also the one I'm most
    > > keen to get at!
    > >
    > Well, it wasn't very useful advice because it didn't get the job done. I
    > wonder why you were able to connect once and then not again. Try
    > emptying your Temporary Internet Files (from IE's Tools>Internet
    > Options). Otherwise, I'm afraid I'm at a loss. The site does act rather
    > strange for me in that I can get there fine, but am then unable to
    > maximize the page. I'm using Mozilla on Linux, so if the site is trying
    > to download something unwanted (I do see a link for downloading a
    > toolbar), it can't of course.
    >
    > Perhaps you could email the webmaster or call them. Since you can't get
    > there, here is the information copied from their page:
    >
    > For betting and account enquires: info@betfair.com
    > For all marketing enquiries: marketing@betfair.com
    > For all employment enquiries: jobs@betfair.com
    > For all other business enquires: corporate@betfair.com
    >
    > Alternatively, please telephone / fax Betfair directly:
    >
    > Telephone Fax
    > From North America 011-44-208-834-8060
    > From UK 0870 0110 444 0870 0110 555
    > Ireland 1-800 944 000
    > Australia 1-800 759 354
    > International +44 208 834 8060
    >
    > Please send all written correspondence to:
    >
    > Betfair
    > PO Box 34467
    > London
    > W6 9WS
    > United Kingdom
    >
    > So, I'm sorry I couldn't solve your problem permanently, but I hope this
    > helps a bit.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Niall OHare wrote:

    > Malke,
    >
    > You've been a star - I'll try the people in charge of the website
    > again, and
    > see if they can put it right. Otherwise I'll go gamble my hard-earned
    > cash elsewhere!
    >
    > Thanks for all your help - much appreciated.
    >
    > Niall

    You are most welcome, Niall. If I gambled, I would frankly gamble
    elsewhere because it really bothers me that their website misbehaves so
    badly. There must be other legitimate online gambling sites (I
    suppose).

    Good luck and have safe fun,

    Malke
    --