Security Center unavailable?

a b 8 Security
January 12, 2005 3:09:04 PM

Here's the following message listed under Security Essentials when I load
Win XP's Security Center: The Security Center is currently unavailable
because the "Security Center" service has not started or was stopped. Please
close this window, restart the computer (or start the "Security Center"
service), and then open the Security Center again.
I uninstalled SP2 and then reinstalled it per the SP2 help desk personnel
and still receive that message. Does anyone have an idea how to get the
Microsoft Security Center to work? I have a Dell Dimension 4500, 2.4ghz, 1gb
ram, 80 gb hard drive with Zone Alarm and Mcafee anti-virus (provided by
MSN). Thank you for any assistance.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 12, 2005 10:02:25 PM

Make sure the Security Center service is set to Automatic...

Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
Scroll down to and double click on Security Center |
In the Startup type: box select Automatic | Click Apply |
Click the Start button | Click OK | Close Services

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:A0AC4981-617A-44B4-A574-1D77B11756A2@microsoft.com,
DFW Enterprises <DFW Enterprises@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
pecked:
> Here's the following message listed under Security Essentials when I
> load Win XP's Security Center: The Security Center is currently
> unavailable because the "Security Center" service has not started or
> was stopped. Please close this window, restart the computer (or
> start the "Security Center" service), and then open the Security
> Center again.
> I uninstalled SP2 and then reinstalled it per the SP2 help desk
> personnel and still receive that message. Does anyone have an idea
> how to get the Microsoft Security Center to work? I have a Dell
> Dimension 4500, 2.4ghz, 1gb ram, 80 gb hard drive with Zone Alarm and
> Mcafee anti-virus (provided by MSN). Thank you for any assistance.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 12, 2005 11:55:04 PM

Wes,
Thanks for responding, but it didn't work. Here's the error message I
received after clicking the start button: Could not start the Security
Center service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or
group failed to start.
Do you have any other ideas?
DFW

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Make sure the Security Center service is set to Automatic...
>
> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
> Scroll down to and double click on Security Center |
> In the Startup type: box select Automatic | Click Apply |
> Click the Start button | Click OK | Close Services
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:A0AC4981-617A-44B4-A574-1D77B11756A2@microsoft.com,
> DFW Enterprises <DFW Enterprises@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
> pecked:
> > Here's the following message listed under Security Essentials when I
> > load Win XP's Security Center: The Security Center is currently
> > unavailable because the "Security Center" service has not started or
> > was stopped. Please close this window, restart the computer (or
> > start the "Security Center" service), and then open the Security
> > Center again.
> > I uninstalled SP2 and then reinstalled it per the SP2 help desk
> > personnel and still receive that message. Does anyone have an idea
> > how to get the Microsoft Security Center to work? I have a Dell
> > Dimension 4500, 2.4ghz, 1gb ram, 80 gb hard drive with Zone Alarm and
> > Mcafee anti-virus (provided by MSN). Thank you for any assistance.

a b 8 Security
January 13, 2005 7:28:57 PM

DFW,

Your error indicates that the Security Center service depends on other
services to be running.

Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |

Security Center needs these services running before it can start. Make sure
that these services are set to Automatic and started.

In this order...
1. Remote Procedure Call (RPC) (Practically everything depends on this
service to be running.)

2. Event Log (No dependencies)

3. Windows Management Instrumentation (Depends on (RPC) & Event Log to be
running first)

Then try starting the Security Center service. Make sure it's set to
Automatic.

If you have any other errors we need to know the Event ID & the Event
Source.

To open the Event Viewer...
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK

For any Events that seem related to the problem...

Double click the event in Event Viewer | Click: the button below the second
arrow (looks like two pages) [[Copies the details of the event to the
Clipboard.]] | Paste into Notepad | Click:

Read all info | Copy and paste to Notepad | Click the [+] Related Knowledge
Base articles | Follow any links that might be useful

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427

This can also be very useful.
You need to have the Event ID & the Event Source.

Windows XP Professional Events and Errors
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/search.aspx...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:CF20B809-F4EC-46B8-BF57-C2AD348BA816@microsoft.com,
DFW Enterprises <DFW Enterprises@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
pecked:
> Wes,
> Thanks for responding, but it didn't work. Here's the error message I
> received after clicking the start button: Could not start the
> Security Center service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The
> dependency service or group failed to start.
> Do you have any other ideas?
> DFW
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Make sure the Security Center service is set to Automatic...
>>
>> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
>> Scroll down to and double click on Security Center |
>> In the Startup type: box select Automatic | Click Apply |
>> Click the Start button | Click OK | Close Services
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:A0AC4981-617A-44B4-A574-1D77B11756A2@microsoft.com,
>> DFW Enterprises <DFW Enterprises@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted
>> and pecked:
>>> Here's the following message listed under Security Essentials when I
>>> load Win XP's Security Center: The Security Center is currently
>>> unavailable because the "Security Center" service has not started or
>>> was stopped. Please close this window, restart the computer (or
>>> start the "Security Center" service), and then open the Security
>>> Center again.
>>> I uninstalled SP2 and then reinstalled it per the SP2 help desk
>>> personnel and still receive that message. Does anyone have an idea
>>> how to get the Microsoft Security Center to work? I have a Dell
>>> Dimension 4500, 2.4ghz, 1gb ram, 80 gb hard drive with Zone Alarm
>>> and Mcafee anti-virus (provided by MSN). Thank you for any
>>> assistance.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 13, 2005 7:28:58 PM

Wesley,
Your instructions worked!!! Thank you!!!
DFW

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> DFW,
>
> Your error indicates that the Security Center service depends on other
> services to be running.
>
> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
>
> Security Center needs these services running before it can start. Make sure
> that these services are set to Automatic and started.
>
> In this order...
> 1. Remote Procedure Call (RPC) (Practically everything depends on this
> service to be running.)
>
> 2. Event Log (No dependencies)
>
> 3. Windows Management Instrumentation (Depends on (RPC) & Event Log to be
> running first)
>
> Then try starting the Security Center service. Make sure it's set to
> Automatic.
>
> If you have any other errors we need to know the Event ID & the Event
> Source.
>
> To open the Event Viewer...
> Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
>
> For any Events that seem related to the problem...
>
> Double click the event in Event Viewer | Click: the button below the second
> arrow (looks like two pages) [[Copies the details of the event to the
> Clipboard.]] | Paste into Notepad | Click:
>
> Read all info | Copy and paste to Notepad | Click the [+] Related Knowledge
> Base articles | Follow any links that might be useful
>
> HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427
>
> This can also be very useful.
> You need to have the Event ID & the Event Source.
>
> Windows XP Professional Events and Errors
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/search.aspx...
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:CF20B809-F4EC-46B8-BF57-C2AD348BA816@microsoft.com,
> DFW Enterprises <DFW Enterprises@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
> pecked:
> > Wes,
> > Thanks for responding, but it didn't work. Here's the error message I
> > received after clicking the start button: Could not start the
> > Security Center service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The
> > dependency service or group failed to start.
> > Do you have any other ideas?
> > DFW
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> Make sure the Security Center service is set to Automatic...
> >>
> >> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
> >> Scroll down to and double click on Security Center |
> >> In the Startup type: box select Automatic | Click Apply |
> >> Click the Start button | Click OK | Close Services
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >> Wes
> >>
> >> In news:A0AC4981-617A-44B4-A574-1D77B11756A2@microsoft.com,
> >> DFW Enterprises <DFW Enterprises@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted
> >> and pecked:

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 13, 2005 10:21:46 PM

DFW, I love it when a plan comes together.

Keep having fun! :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes