jay

Now there is really no doubt. The problem is in the freakin v.card :(
I was just playing some Halo, and I've got to see the same type of
glitches there too :( (like those rope-like glitches attached to the
charcters).

Jay

"Jay" <nospam_temp@webfolio.sunnylandbaja.com> wrote in message
> Now there is really no doubt. The problem is in the freakin v.card :(
> I was just playing some Halo, and I've got to see the same type of
> glitches there too :( (like those rope-like glitches attached to the
> charcters).
>
> Jay

It's not the vid *card*, its the vid drivers and/or settings.
McG.

McGrandpa wrote:

> It's not the vid *card*, its the vid drivers and/or settings.
> McG.

Yep, I've got a Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB too, and I'm seeing no such glitches here
(though I'm on Win98SE). Using Catalyst 4.10 drivers at the moment.

--
Paul

"Paul Catley" <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> It's not the vid *card*, its the vid drivers and/or settings.
>> McG.
>
> Yep, I've got a Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB too, and I'm seeing no such
> glitches here (though I'm on Win98SE). Using Catalyst 4.10 drivers
> at the moment.

see if it still happens if you toggle vsync. If it does, then try
reducing texture quality. I had to toy with my settings to get the
stuff right, with the drivers I was using at the time. Not getting
anything like that with the 6800 though.
McG.

McGrandpa wrote:

> see if it still happens if you toggle vsync. If it does, then try
> reducing texture quality. I had to toy with my settings to get the
> stuff right, with the drivers I was using at the time. Not getting
> anything like that with the 6800 though.

Reducing texture quality shouldn't be necessary. I have the same card with
texture and graphics settings maxed out.

--
Paul

jay

I'll try toggling the vsync MG, thanks for the idea.
Hey Paul, you say you have a Radeon 9600Pro too, what OS are you
running? And which drivers? Are you able to select OpenGL? (it doesn't
let me. It looks like it does, but when I go back to that window is back
to 3D Direct). Would you mind telling me exactly what configuration you
have for your ATI drivers and HL2 video?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Paul Catley wrote:
> McGrandpa wrote:
>
>>see if it still happens if you toggle vsync. If it does, then try
>>reducing texture quality. I had to toy with my settings to get the
>>stuff right, with the drivers I was using at the time. Not getting
>>anything like that with the 6800 though.
>

> Reducing texture quality shouldn't be necessary. I have the same card with
> texture and graphics settings maxed out.
>
> --
> Paul

jay

McG, unfortunately vsync didn't change a thing (glitch wise).
Btw, a new prob I have is that for no apparent reason the monitor will
go off! :( Ok, not literally, but it does go 100% black (as if it was
off). I never had this before. I've had this monitor for near 2 years
already, same with the vcard.

Jay

Jay wrote:
> I'll try toggling the vsync MG, thanks for the idea.
> Hey Paul, you say you have a Radeon 9600Pro too, what OS are you
> running? And which drivers? Are you able to select OpenGL? (it doesn't
> let me. It looks like it does, but when I go back to that window is
> back to 3D Direct). Would you mind telling me exactly what
> configuration you have for your ATI drivers and HL2 video?

I did say what my OS and my drivers are above, but here it is again: Win98SE,
ATI
Catalyst 4.10. My PC spec is AthlonXP 3000+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB,
onboard sound.

Drivers were originally set for Application Preference when playing HL2, but for
some reason the anti-aliasing stopped working (it worked originally), so I now
have the drivers set for AA 2x, anisotropic filtering 4x.

My HL2 settings are:

Screen resolution: 1024x768
Model detail: High
Texture detail: High
Water detail: Reflect all
Shadow detail: High
Anti-aliasing mode: 2x
Filtering mode: Anisotropic 4x
Shader detail: High
Wait for vsync: Disabled

Game looks sweet, and runs at a good framerate. No texture troubles like you
have. I initially had a different problem with missing textures, but this was
resolved by (involuntarily) re-downloading part of the game.

Do you mean you've tried selecting OpenGL in HL2? You can't, it's a DirectX
only game. In games that support OpenGL, I have no trouble selecting it.

Not sure if that helps.

--
Paul