Replacement Motherboard for 9333

I have inherited a PB multimedia 9333 tower that worked before until
something happened in transit.

I get no video output (it's definitely not the monitor) and I'm not
convinced the POST is successful. I'm assuming a new Motherboard is
required, can anyone in this group recommend a model and supplier (UK) so I
can do a straight swap? Cheapest config rather than fastest would be
preferred.

TIA

Pen
6 answers Last reply
More about replacement motherboard 9333
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "Pen" <A@a.com> wrote in message
    > I have inherited a PB multimedia 9333 tower that worked before until
    > something happened in transit.
    >
    > I get no video output (it's definitely not the monitor) and I'm not
    > convinced the POST is successful. I'm assuming a new Motherboard is
    > required, can anyone in this group recommend a model and supplier
    (UK) so I
    > can do a straight swap? Cheapest config rather than fastest would
    be
    > preferred.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Pen

    Before you start buying all this and all that. Check the inside of the
    system and make sure the cards are still seated properly (Snug) also
    check the controller ribbons and make sure they are not loose. And
    then check all the power cables from the power source to the devices
    and make sure they are seated correctly and snuggly.

    Also look for a bend or damaged Monitor cable from the unit to the
    monitor and check the power cable as well.

    If you are hearing any beeps like 1 long and 3 short or some other
    combination then the post will tell you what the trouble is. Listen to
    the beeps.

    Elector

    PS You can look at Dixon's in the UK or I understand that Google has a
    search engine based for the UK which you could also try.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Thanks for the reply - checked all connections - no beeps at all, though I
    hear the hdd whirring, no disk light either. Monitor works fine on another
    PC.

    Time for eBay methinks.

    Regards

    Pen
    "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message

    > "Pen" <A@a.com> wrote in message
    > > I have inherited a PB multimedia 9333 tower that worked before until
    > > something happened in transit.
    > >
    > > I get no video output (it's definitely not the monitor) and I'm not
    > > convinced the POST is successful. I'm assuming a new Motherboard is
    > > required, can anyone in this group recommend a model and supplier
    > (UK) so I
    > > can do a straight swap? Cheapest config rather than fastest would
    > be
    > > preferred.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Pen
    > >

    > Before you start buying all this and all that. Check the inside of the
    > system and make sure the cards are still seated properly (Snug) also
    > check the controller ribbons and make sure they are not loose. And
    > then check all the power cables from the power source to the devices
    > and make sure they are seated correctly and snuggly.
    >
    > Also look for a bend or damaged Monitor cable from the unit to the
    > monitor and check the power cable as well.
    >
    > If you are hearing any beeps like 1 long and 3 short or some other
    > combination then the post will tell you what the trouble is. Listen to
    > the beeps.
    >
    > Elector
    >

    > PS You can look at Dixon's in the UK or I understand that Google has a
    > search engine based for the UK which you could also try.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    To me, sounds more like a power supply failure than a motherboard failure. If
    the hard drive does not spin up, this usually means that it is not getting power
    from a lead which is independent of the motherboard power lead. Buy or borrow a
    power supply for testing and possibly as a replacement... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:48:19 GMT, "Pen" <A@a.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for the reply - checked all connections - no beeps at all, though I
    >hear the hdd whirring, no disk light either. Monitor works fine on another
    >PC.
    >
    >Time for eBay methinks.
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Pen
    >"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Pen" <A@a.com> wrote in message
    >> > I have inherited a PB multimedia 9333 tower that worked before until
    >> > something happened in transit.
    >> >
    >> > I get no video output (it's definitely not the monitor) and I'm not
    >> > convinced the POST is successful. I'm assuming a new Motherboard is
    >> > required, can anyone in this group recommend a model and supplier
    >> (UK) so I
    >> > can do a straight swap? Cheapest config rather than fastest would
    >> be
    >> > preferred.
    >> >
    >> > TIA
    >> >
    >> > Pen
    >> >

    >> Before you start buying all this and all that. Check the inside of the
    >> system and make sure the cards are still seated properly (Snug) also
    >> check the controller ribbons and make sure they are not loose. And
    >> then check all the power cables from the power source to the devices
    >> and make sure they are seated correctly and snuggly.
    >>
    >> Also look for a bend or damaged Monitor cable from the unit to the
    >> monitor and check the power cable as well.
    >>
    >> If you are hearing any beeps like 1 long and 3 short or some other
    >> combination then the post will tell you what the trouble is. Listen to
    >> the beeps.
    >>
    >> Elector
    >>

    >> PS You can look at Dixon's in the UK or I understand that Google has a
    >> search engine based for the UK which you could also try.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "Pen" <A@a.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply - checked all connections - no beeps at all,
    though I
    > hear the hdd whirring, no disk light either. Monitor works fine on
    another
    > PC.
    >
    > Time for eBay methinks.
    >
    > Regards

    You can in addition to Ben's advice get another hard drive because if
    it is not the Power Supply then it sounds like the Hard Drive is
    failing.

    Elector
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Hmm, I take your points, guys, but I can't boot from floppy and the lack of
    beeps tells me I'm flogging a dead horse, I guess.

    Thanks again.

    (Apologies for top posting before btw).

    Pen

    > You can in addition to Ben's advice get another hard drive because if
    > it is not the Power Supply then it sounds like the Hard Drive is
    > failing.
    >
    > Elector

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    I remember back in the day that there was always an element of danger
    upgrading a PacBell machine. If you so much as looked at the mainboard
    wrong, a citcuit opened on it. Doing anything violent like adding memory or
    disconnecting a drive cable was almost guaranteed to cause problems. They
    don't make em' like they used to and that's fine with me.

    You're probably right - the move caused a problem with the mainboard.

    A PacBell mainboard is going to be a little troublesome to obtain because of
    the propreitary nature of the machines. Also - the chances of getting a
    good one into your machine after shipping, handling, etc are not in your
    favor. So you need to MAKE SURE you have a dead MB. here's some tricks:

    - Remove ALL cards xcept video.
    - Disconnect ALL drives from mainboard.
    - Remove all memory xcept one stick.
    - Try it.
    - If still no good, sub in power supply.
    - If still no good, sub in memory.
    - If still no good, sub in processor.
    - If still no good, you were right and you need a mainboard. Actually, at
    that point you'll probably be better off using whatever good periphs you
    have into another machine.

    "Pen" <A@a.com> wrote in message
    > Hmm, I take your points, guys, but I can't boot from floppy and the lack
    of
    > beeps tells me I'm flogging a dead horse, I guess.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > (Apologies for top posting before btw).
    >
    > Pen
    >

    > > You can in addition to Ben's advice get another hard drive because if
    > > it is not the Power Supply then it sounds like the Hard Drive is
    > > failing.
    > >
    > > Elector

Packard Bell Multimedia Motherboards Computers