Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

changing the name in C:documents and settings folder

Tags:
  • Windows XP
January 12, 2005 10:21:48 PM

Bruce Chambers Wrote:
> juptonrowley wrote:-
> Equipment:
>
> Dell Dimension 4500
> Windows XP Home Edition
>
> Problem:
>
> I want to change the name that shows up in the C:\documents and
> settings folder. it is the name that shows up as the pathway to every
> file. (C:\Documents and Settings\"NAME"\My Documents, etc.) how do i
> do
> that?
>
> -
>

> Because the user profile folders (C:\Documents and
> Settings\Username)_cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user
> account has been, your best course of action would be to log on using
> the built-in Administrator account, create a new user account, with
> the
> username desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).
>
> HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
> http://tinyurl.com/6rrv
>
> How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
> http://tinyurl.com/6czfm
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having
> both at once. - RAH

Thanks for your help, but unfortunately, it didn't work. :(  i followed
the above links and when i clicked on the C:\Documents and
Settings\Old_Username folder, i was denied access. is there anything
that i could do to overcome that? i really would like to get rid of the
old user name. (it is my ex's name and to see it continuously is kinda
lame. :rolleyes:
thanks again for your help.

--
juptonrowley

More about : changing documents settings folder

Anonymous
January 12, 2005 10:54:16 PM

juptonrowley wrote:
> Bruce Chambers Wrote:
>> juptonrowley wrote:-
>> Equipment:
>>
>> Dell Dimension 4500
>> Windows XP Home Edition
>>
>> Problem:
>>
>> I want to change the name that shows up in the C:\documents and
>> settings folder. it is the name that shows up as the pathway to every
>> file. (C:\Documents and Settings\"NAME"\My Documents, etc.) how do i
>> do
>> that?
>>
>> Because the user profile folders (C:\Documents and
>> Settings\Username)_cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user
>> account has been, your best course of action would be to log on using
>> the built-in Administrator account, create a new user account, with
>> the
>> username desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).
>>
>> HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
>> http://tinyurl.com/6rrv
>>
>> How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
>> http://tinyurl.com/6czfm
>>
>> --

<snip>

> Thanks for your help, but unfortunately, it didn't work. :(  i
> followed the above links and when i clicked on the C:\Documents and
> Settings\Old_Username folder, i was denied access. is there anything
> that i could do to overcome that? i really would like to get rid of
> the old user name. (it is my ex's name and to see it continuously is
> kinda lame. :rolleyes:
> thanks again for your help.

I do understand. Yet another reason I never changed my name. ;-)

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421