How to keep programs running overnight and log out as a user

January 12, 2005 7:13:04 PM

Great Discussion group... Got lot's of pointers... BRAVO !!!
Here is my problem; I keep my PC running overnight to do my backups or
anti-virus screening but I want to have myself as a user log off in case
somebody want to play with my computer while I am gone, If it is me I want
log in while my pc is working. How do I do this ???
Thanks for your help !!!
JF
January 12, 2005 8:24:02 PM

JF2020 wrote:

> Great Discussion group... Got lot's of pointers... BRAVO !!!
> Here is my problem; I keep my PC running overnight to do my backups or
> anti-virus screening but I want to have myself as a user log off in
> case somebody want to play with my computer while I am gone, If it is
> me I want log in while my pc is working. How do I do this ???
> Thanks for your help !!!
> JF

They can just use the Fast User Switching option which will leave you
logged in and your programs running. When they are finished, they
should log out and even though you'll see the Welcome Screen with your
icons, you'll see that you are still logged in with x number of
programs running.

I'm glad you enjoy this newsgroup - it is not a discussion group. Here
is information that will make it even more enjoyable for you:

Since you are using the web interface, you may not realize that this is
really a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you
learn to use a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows,
but you can use Outlook Express since you already have it. Here are
some links to information about newsgroups to broaden your posting
pleasure!

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
explanation of newsgroups
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.h...
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support...
- Set Up Newsreader

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
working properly

Other newsreaders:
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php - for Forte
http://www.mozilla.org
http://gravity.tbates.org/

Cheers,

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

I set up a separate account, with password, and run the overnight
stuff in that account. It all runs as scheduled tasks ... as that user.
So I can log off, others can log in, and the background stuff
like backup and getting virus definitions and such is invisible.

--

... Hank

http://home.earthlink.net/~horedson
http://home.earthlink.net/~w0rli
"JF2020" <JF2020@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Great Discussion group... Got lot's of pointers... BRAVO !!!
> Here is my problem; I keep my PC running overnight to do my backups or
> anti-virus screening but I want to have myself as a user log off in case
> somebody want to play with my computer while I am gone, If it is me I want
> log in while my pc is working. How do I do this ???
> Thanks for your help !!!
> JF
January 13, 2005 7:17:02 AM

What do you think the screen saver / password is all about.

You can set the screen saver to turn on after a few minutes and if, you set
a password, no one can access the PC until the password is entered. All
other apps will continue running as will any scheduled events.

No if you use power management, then choose your settings carefully when
turening of monitor, hard drive etc.

!