ATI 9800Pro+Soun Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum Issues

I have recently built a new system with the following specs:

P4 3.2C Ghz
ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Linksys Wireless-G NIC
Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card
Asus P4P800 Mobo
Western Digital 80GB HD
1 Gig PC3200 DDR
Windows XP Home

Since Building the machine I have had frequent crashes while playing any of
my games. After weeks of driver errors, bsod, vpu recover and system
reboots and trying various different setups and tweaks of video card
settings and IRQ settings found in this forum and many others, I have traced
the problem down to a Driver conflict between the Video card and Sound Card.

The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI card and
Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers for
both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once I have
removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the system
stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only problem I
have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use the
5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage to
find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.
9 answers Last reply
More about 9800pro soun blaster audigy platinum issues

    > The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI card and
    > Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers for
    > both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once I have
    > removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the system
    > stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only problem I
    > have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use the
    > 5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage to
    > find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.

    I believe I have the same problem with an Asus 9800XT and an Audigy LS
    Using Cat4.4 and latest from Creative. I get frequent crashes in Vice City
    and Ghost Recon but none in Far Cry.

    Eric Glaister wrote:

    > I have recently built a new system with the following specs:
    >
    > P4 3.2C Ghz
    > ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
    > Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    > Linksys Wireless-G NIC
    > Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card
    > Asus P4P800 Mobo
    > Western Digital 80GB HD
    > 1 Gig PC3200 DDR
    > Windows XP Home
    >
    > Since Building the machine I have had frequent crashes while playing any of
    > my games. After weeks of driver errors, bsod, vpu recover and system
    > reboots and trying various different setups and tweaks of video card
    > settings and IRQ settings found in this forum and many others, I have traced
    > the problem down to a Driver conflict between the Video card and Sound Card.
    >
    > The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI card and
    > Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers for
    > both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once I have
    > removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the system
    > stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only problem I
    > have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use the
    > 5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage to
    > find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.

    did you try diff pci slots?

    Yes I have tried placing the Sound Card into the different PCI slots that I
    have available and have moved other PCI cards to ensure that there are no
    IRQ conflicts with any of the cards. I have even tried using the original
    drivers and all the updates for both of the cards to no avail.

    "Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Eric Glaister wrote:
    > >
    > > I have recently built a new system with the following specs:
    > >
    > > P4 3.2C Ghz
    > > ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
    > > Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    > > Linksys Wireless-G NIC
    > > Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card
    > > Asus P4P800 Mobo
    > > Western Digital 80GB HD
    > > 1 Gig PC3200 DDR
    > > Windows XP Home
    > >
    > > Since Building the machine I have had frequent crashes while playing any
    of
    > > my games. After weeks of driver errors, bsod, vpu recover and system
    > > reboots and trying various different setups and tweaks of video card
    > > settings and IRQ settings found in this forum and many others, I have
    traced
    > > the problem down to a Driver conflict between the Video card and Sound
    Card.

    > > The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI card
    and
    > > Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers for
    > > both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once I
    have
    > > removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the
    system
    > > stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only problem
    > > have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use
    the
    > > 5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage
    > > find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.
    >
    > did you try diff pci slots?

    Im just wondering how many people there are with that combination of Vid and
    sound cards that everything is running OK for, I know it works fine for me.
    Another component to throw in to the melting pot though is the motherboard!

    CrimsonLiar

    "Eric Glaister" <glaister@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have recently built a new system with the following specs:
    >
    > P4 3.2C Ghz
    > ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
    > Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    > Linksys Wireless-G NIC
    > Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card
    > Asus P4P800 Mobo
    > Western Digital 80GB HD
    > 1 Gig PC3200 DDR
    > Windows XP Home
    >
    > Since Building the machine I have had frequent crashes while playing any
    of
    > my games. After weeks of driver errors, bsod, vpu recover and system
    > reboots and trying various different setups and tweaks of video card
    > settings and IRQ settings found in this forum and many others, I have
    traced
    > the problem down to a Driver conflict between the Video card and Sound
    Card.

    > The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI card
    and
    > Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers for
    > both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once I
    have
    > removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the system
    > stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only problem I
    > have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use the
    > 5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage to
    > find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.

    Personally I had minor issues with any CL Live/audigy Soundcard... seems it
    likes to be the dominate one. So I simply switched Sound Card companies...
    Hercules Digifire 7.1... uses a tad more cpu but sounds better than an
    Audigy. Ever since then never a problem.

    Just not saying always a bugger, just CL soundcards just sometimes has
    issues with certain mobo/video card combos...
    Li-li-li-li like sound sk-sk-sk-ipping CRASH. :)

    "CrimsonLiar" <trash@trash.com> wrote in message
    > Im just wondering how many people there are with that combination of Vid
    and
    > sound cards that everything is running OK for, I know it works fine for
    me.
    > Another component to throw in to the melting pot though is the
    motherboard!

    > CrimsonLiar
    >
    > "Eric Glaister" <glaister@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I have recently built a new system with the following specs:
    > >
    > > P4 3.2C Ghz
    > > ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
    > > Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    > > Linksys Wireless-G NIC
    > > Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card
    > > Asus P4P800 Mobo
    > > Western Digital 80GB HD
    > > 1 Gig PC3200 DDR
    > > Windows XP Home
    > >
    > > Since Building the machine I have had frequent crashes while playing any
    > of
    > > my games. After weeks of driver errors, bsod, vpu recover and system
    > > reboots and trying various different setups and tweaks of video card
    > > settings and IRQ settings found in this forum and many others, I have
    > traced
    > > the problem down to a Driver conflict between the Video card and Sound
    > Card.
    > >
    > > The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI card
    > and
    > > Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers for
    > > both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once I
    > have
    > > removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the
    system
    > > stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only problem
    > > have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use
    the
    > > 5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage
    > > find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.

    I have 2 computers using this combo. They work great!

    "CrimsonLiar" <trash@trash.com> wrote in message
    > Im just wondering how many people there are with that combination of Vid
    and
    > sound cards that everything is running OK for, I know it works fine for
    me.
    > Another component to throw in to the melting pot though is the
    motherboard!

    > CrimsonLiar
    >
    > "Eric Glaister" <glaister@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I have recently built a new system with the following specs:
    > >
    > > P4 3.2C Ghz
    > > ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
    > > Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    > > Linksys Wireless-G NIC
    > > Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card
    > > Asus P4P800 Mobo
    > > Western Digital 80GB HD
    > > 1 Gig PC3200 DDR
    > > Windows XP Home
    > >
    > > Since Building the machine I have had frequent crashes while playing any
    > of
    > > my games. After weeks of driver errors, bsod, vpu recover and system
    > > reboots and trying various different setups and tweaks of video card
    > > settings and IRQ settings found in this forum and many others, I have
    > traced
    > > the problem down to a Driver conflict between the Video card and Sound
    > Card.
    > >
    > > The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI card
    > and
    > > Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers for
    > > both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once I
    > have
    > > removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the
    system
    > > stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only problem
    > > have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use
    the
    > > 5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage
    > > find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.

    I have a similar combo with an audigy 2 zs and have a problem with the TV
    tuner and sound. It worked for a while (low volumn, loss of noise) but some
    time a week or so I tried to use it and no sound. After messing around with
    it I no longer get a sound option using the setup, display tab,
    initialization wizard for the display function. I have tried numerous cable
    changes from the video out using both red and black cables to the line in on
    the sound card. I believe I downloaded direct X 9 but I can't find it in the
    add remove programs listing. I am using pal.

    Computer System

    Processor(s) Model : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-53 Processor

    Co-Processor (FPU) : Built-in

    Speed : 2.40GHz

    Socket/Slot : Socket 940

    Supported Speed(s) : 2.40GHz

    L2 On-board Cache : 1024kB ECC synchronous write-back

    System Mainboard

    Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI USB FireWire/1394

    MP Support : 1 CPU(s)

    System BIOS : American Megatrends Inc. 080009

    System Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. 'SK8N'

    System Chipset : ASUSTeK Computer Inc Unknown (00D1)

    Front Side Bus Speed : 1x 200MHz (200MHz data rate)

    Installed Memory : 1024MB

    Video System

    Monitor/Panel : Default Monitor

    Adapter : ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES

    Adapter : ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES - Secondary

    Physical Storage Devices

    Disk Drive : eUSB SmartMedia

    Disk Drive : WDC WD2000JB-32EVA0 (186.3GB)

    Disk Drive : WDC WD2500JB-32FUA0 (232.9GB)

    Disk Drive : WDC WD12 00BB-00CAA1 SCSI Disk Device (111.8GB)

    Disk Drive : WDC WD20 00JB-00DUA0 SCSI Disk Device (186.3GB)

    Disk Drive : WDC WD25 00JB-00EVA0 SCSI Disk Device (232.9GB)

    CD-ROM/DVD : SONY DVD+RW DRU-120A (CD 32X Rd, 12X Wr) (DVD 4X Rd)

    MultiMedia Device(s)

    Device : Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)

    Device : Creative Game Port

    Printers and Faxes

    Model : EPSON Stylus Photo 960

    Any suggestions?

    Dwight

    "JTS" <5er@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I have 2 computers using this combo. They work great!
    >
    > "CrimsonLiar" <trash@trash.com> wrote in message
    > > Im just wondering how many people there are with that combination of Vid
    > and
    > > sound cards that everything is running OK for, I know it works fine for
    > me.
    > > Another component to throw in to the melting pot though is the
    > motherboard!
    > >
    > > CrimsonLiar
    > >
    > > "Eric Glaister" <glaister@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have recently built a new system with the following specs:
    > > >
    > > > P4 3.2C Ghz
    > > > ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
    > > > Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    > > > Linksys Wireless-G NIC
    > > > Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card
    > > > Asus P4P800 Mobo
    > > > Western Digital 80GB HD
    > > > 1 Gig PC3200 DDR
    > > > Windows XP Home
    > > >
    > > > Since Building the machine I have had frequent crashes while playing
    any
    > > of
    > > > my games. After weeks of driver errors, bsod, vpu recover and system
    > > > reboots and trying various different setups and tweaks of video card
    > > > settings and IRQ settings found in this forum and many others, I have
    > > traced
    > > > the problem down to a Driver conflict between the Video card and Sound
    > > Card.
    > > >
    > > > The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI
    card
    > > and
    > > > Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers
    for
    > > > both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once
    > > have
    > > > removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the
    > system
    > > > stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only
    problem
    > > > have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use
    > the
    > > > 5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage
    > > > find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.

    I believe that I have found the true culprit too the crashes occuring on my
    PC. After e-mailing tech support for Sound Blaster and ATI, with there
    suggestions of just updating the driver to the newsest version, I decided
    that I since I knew that the issue was still present with new or old drivers
    alike. I pulled all my expansion cards out and started from installing one
    at a time. They all worked fine until I installed the Belkin USB 2.0 PCI
    card. once this card is installed the crashes occur. The only thing that I
    dont understand is that why the setup works with a 9200 series Radeon but
    not with the 9800 or 9600. Not upset to be missing the ports as the Mobo
    has 4 on its own and the extras were purchased for a prwvious system with
    two USB 1.0 Ports. Exstatic that I can now play my games without the system
    crashing and having to reboot.

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:53:53 -0400, "DEP" <dp@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >I have a similar combo with an audigy 2 zs and have a problem with the TV
    >tuner and sound. It worked for a while (low volumn, loss of noise) but some
    >time a week or so I tried to use it and no sound. After messing around with
    >it I no longer get a sound option using the setup, display tab,
    >initialization wizard for the display function. I have tried numerous cable
    >changes from the video out using both red and black cables to the line in on
    >the sound card. I believe I downloaded direct X 9 but I can't find it in the
    >add remove programs listing. I am using pal.

    AFAIK DX9.0b has no effect on AIW sound; it's PAL and SECAM tuners
    that it affects; it breaks them and you can't tune in or receive
    channels at all. DirectX is not uninstallable, hence it won't show in
    Add/Remove Programs: click Start > Run, type "dxdiag" and click OK,
    and you'll start the DirectX diagnosis tool, which will tell you what
    version of DirectX you're running, along with a lot of other
    information about your system.

    If you're having sound problems with an Audigy, make sure you're using
    the latest drivers for it. You may need to uninstall MMC to install
    soundcard drivers successfully.

    If you're using a PAL tuner on a W2K or XP system, you _are_ likely to
    break your tuner if you install DX9.0b, though.

    HTH

    >Computer System
    >
    >Processor(s) Model : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-53 Processor
    >
    >Co-Processor (FPU) : Built-in
    >
    >Speed : 2.40GHz
    >
    >Socket/Slot : Socket 940
    >
    >Supported Speed(s) : 2.40GHz
    >
    >L2 On-board Cache : 1024kB ECC synchronous write-back
    >
    >System Mainboard
    >
    >Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI USB FireWire/1394
    >
    >MP Support : 1 CPU(s)
    >
    >System BIOS : American Megatrends Inc. 080009
    >
    >System Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. 'SK8N'
    >
    >System Chipset : ASUSTeK Computer Inc Unknown (00D1)
    >
    >Front Side Bus Speed : 1x 200MHz (200MHz data rate)
    >
    >Installed Memory : 1024MB
    >
    >Video System
    >
    >Monitor/Panel : Default Monitor
    >
    >Adapter : ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES
    >
    >Adapter : ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES - Secondary
    >
    >Physical Storage Devices
    >
    >Disk Drive : eUSB SmartMedia
    >
    >Disk Drive : WDC WD2000JB-32EVA0 (186.3GB)
    >
    >Disk Drive : WDC WD2500JB-32FUA0 (232.9GB)
    >
    >Disk Drive : WDC WD12 00BB-00CAA1 SCSI Disk Device (111.8GB)
    >
    >Disk Drive : WDC WD20 00JB-00DUA0 SCSI Disk Device (186.3GB)
    >
    >Disk Drive : WDC WD25 00JB-00EVA0 SCSI Disk Device (232.9GB)
    >
    >CD-ROM/DVD : SONY DVD+RW DRU-120A (CD 32X Rd, 12X Wr) (DVD 4X Rd)
    >
    >MultiMedia Device(s)
    >
    >Device : Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    >
    >Device : Creative Game Port
    >
    >Printers and Faxes
    >
    >Model : EPSON Stylus Photo 960
    >

    >Any suggestions?
    >

    >Dwight
    >

    >"JTS" <5er@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> I have 2 computers using this combo. They work great!
    >>
    >> "CrimsonLiar" <trash@trash.com> wrote in message
    >> > Im just wondering how many people there are with that combination of Vid
    >> and
    >> > sound cards that everything is running OK for, I know it works fine for
    >> me.
    >> > Another component to throw in to the melting pot though is the
    >> motherboard!
    >> >
    >> > CrimsonLiar
    >> >
    >> > "Eric Glaister" <glaister@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >any