ATI 9800Pro+Soun Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum Issues

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Sound Blaster
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 19, 2004 3:19:22 AM

I have recently built a new system with the following specs:

P4 3.2C Ghz
ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Linksys Wireless-G NIC
Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card
Asus P4P800 Mobo
Western Digital 80GB HD
1 Gig PC3200 DDR
Windows XP Home

Since Building the machine I have had frequent crashes while playing any of
my games. After weeks of driver errors, bsod, vpu recover and system
reboots and trying various different setups and tweaks of video card
settings and IRQ settings found in this forum and many others, I have traced
the problem down to a Driver conflict between the Video card and Sound Card.

The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI card and
Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers for
both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once I have
removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the system
stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only problem I
have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use the
5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage to
find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.

More about : ati 9800pro soun blaster audigy platinum issues

Anonymous
May 19, 2004 8:32:49 AM

> The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI card and
> Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers for
> both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once I have
> removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the system
> stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only problem I
> have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use the
> 5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage to
> find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.

I believe I have the same problem with an Asus 9800XT and an Audigy LS
Using Cat4.4 and latest from Creative. I get frequent crashes in Vice City
and Ghost Recon but none in Far Cry.

May 19, 2004 9:02:31 AM

Eric Glaister wrote:

> I have recently built a new system with the following specs:
>
> P4 3.2C Ghz
> ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
> Linksys Wireless-G NIC
> Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card
> Asus P4P800 Mobo
> Western Digital 80GB HD
> 1 Gig PC3200 DDR
> Windows XP Home
>
> Since Building the machine I have had frequent crashes while playing any of
> my games. After weeks of driver errors, bsod, vpu recover and system
> reboots and trying various different setups and tweaks of video card
> settings and IRQ settings found in this forum and many others, I have traced
> the problem down to a Driver conflict between the Video card and Sound Card.
>
> The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI card and
> Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers for
> both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once I have
> removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the system
> stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only problem I
> have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use the
> 5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage to
> find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.

did you try diff pci slots?
May 19, 2004 9:02:32 AM

Yes I have tried placing the Sound Card into the different PCI slots that I
have available and have moved other PCI cards to ensure that there are no
IRQ conflicts with any of the cards. I have even tried using the original
drivers and all the updates for both of the cards to no avail.

"Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Eric Glaister wrote:
> >
> > I have recently built a new system with the following specs:
> >
> > P4 3.2C Ghz
> > ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
> > Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
> > Linksys Wireless-G NIC
> > Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card
> > Asus P4P800 Mobo
> > Western Digital 80GB HD
> > 1 Gig PC3200 DDR
> > Windows XP Home
> >
> > Since Building the machine I have had frequent crashes while playing any
of
> > my games. After weeks of driver errors, bsod, vpu recover and system
> > reboots and trying various different setups and tweaks of video card
> > settings and IRQ settings found in this forum and many others, I have
traced
> > the problem down to a Driver conflict between the Video card and Sound
Card.

> > The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI card
and
> > Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers for
> > both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once I
have
> > removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the
system
> > stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only problem
> > have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use
the
> > 5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage
> > find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.
>
> did you try diff pci slots?
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 11:25:04 AM

Im just wondering how many people there are with that combination of Vid and
sound cards that everything is running OK for, I know it works fine for me.
Another component to throw in to the melting pot though is the motherboard!

CrimsonLiar

"Eric Glaister" <glaister@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have recently built a new system with the following specs:
>
> P4 3.2C Ghz
> ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
> Linksys Wireless-G NIC
> Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card
> Asus P4P800 Mobo
> Western Digital 80GB HD
> 1 Gig PC3200 DDR
> Windows XP Home
>
> Since Building the machine I have had frequent crashes while playing any
of
> my games. After weeks of driver errors, bsod, vpu recover and system
> reboots and trying various different setups and tweaks of video card
> settings and IRQ settings found in this forum and many others, I have
traced
> the problem down to a Driver conflict between the Video card and Sound
Card.

> The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI card
and
> Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers for
> both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once I
have
> removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the system
> stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only problem I
> have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use the
> 5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage to
> find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.

Anonymous
May 19, 2004 11:25:05 AM

Personally I had minor issues with any CL Live/audigy Soundcard... seems it
likes to be the dominate one. So I simply switched Sound Card companies...
Hercules Digifire 7.1... uses a tad more cpu but sounds better than an
Audigy. Ever since then never a problem.

Just not saying always a bugger, just CL soundcards just sometimes has
issues with certain mobo/video card combos...
Li-li-li-li like sound sk-sk-sk-ipping CRASH. :)

"CrimsonLiar" <trash@trash.com> wrote in message
news:p ZDqc.1185$0v3.380@newsfe6-gui.server.ntli.net...
> Im just wondering how many people there are with that combination of Vid
and
> sound cards that everything is running OK for, I know it works fine for
me.
> Another component to throw in to the melting pot though is the
motherboard!

> CrimsonLiar
>
> "Eric Glaister" <glaister@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have recently built a new system with the following specs:
> >
> > P4 3.2C Ghz
> > ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
> > Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
> > Linksys Wireless-G NIC
> > Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card
> > Asus P4P800 Mobo
> > Western Digital 80GB HD
> > 1 Gig PC3200 DDR
> > Windows XP Home
> >
> > Since Building the machine I have had frequent crashes while playing any
> of
> > my games. After weeks of driver errors, bsod, vpu recover and system
> > reboots and trying various different setups and tweaks of video card
> > settings and IRQ settings found in this forum and many others, I have
> traced
> > the problem down to a Driver conflict between the Video card and Sound
> Card.
> >
> > The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI card
> and
> > Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers for
> > both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once I
> have
> > removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the
system
> > stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only problem
> > have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use
the
> > 5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage
> > find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.

May 19, 2004 11:25:05 AM

I have 2 computers using this combo. They work great!

"CrimsonLiar" <trash@trash.com> wrote in message
news:p ZDqc.1185$0v3.380@newsfe6-gui.server.ntli.net...
> Im just wondering how many people there are with that combination of Vid
and
> sound cards that everything is running OK for, I know it works fine for
me.
> Another component to throw in to the melting pot though is the
motherboard!

> CrimsonLiar
>
> "Eric Glaister" <glaister@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have recently built a new system with the following specs:
> >
> > P4 3.2C Ghz
> > ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
> > Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
> > Linksys Wireless-G NIC
> > Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card
> > Asus P4P800 Mobo
> > Western Digital 80GB HD
> > 1 Gig PC3200 DDR
> > Windows XP Home
> >
> > Since Building the machine I have had frequent crashes while playing any
> of
> > my games. After weeks of driver errors, bsod, vpu recover and system
> > reboots and trying various different setups and tweaks of video card
> > settings and IRQ settings found in this forum and many others, I have
> traced
> > the problem down to a Driver conflict between the Video card and Sound
> Card.
> >
> > The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI card
> and
> > Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers for
> > both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once I
> have
> > removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the
system
> > stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only problem
> > have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use
the
> > 5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage
> > find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.

Anonymous
May 20, 2004 12:53:53 AM

I have a similar combo with an audigy 2 zs and have a problem with the TV
tuner and sound. It worked for a while (low volumn, loss of noise) but some
time a week or so I tried to use it and no sound. After messing around with
it I no longer get a sound option using the setup, display tab,
initialization wizard for the display function. I have tried numerous cable
changes from the video out using both red and black cables to the line in on
the sound card. I believe I downloaded direct X 9 but I can't find it in the
add remove programs listing. I am using pal.

Computer System

Processor(s) Model : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-53 Processor

Co-Processor (FPU) : Built-in

Speed : 2.40GHz

Socket/Slot : Socket 940

Supported Speed(s) : 2.40GHz

L2 On-board Cache : 1024kB ECC synchronous write-back

System Mainboard

Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI USB FireWire/1394

MP Support : 1 CPU(s)

System BIOS : American Megatrends Inc. 080009

System Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. 'SK8N'

System Chipset : ASUSTeK Computer Inc Unknown (00D1)

Front Side Bus Speed : 1x 200MHz (200MHz data rate)

Installed Memory : 1024MB

Video System

Monitor/Panel : Default Monitor

Adapter : ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES

Adapter : ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES - Secondary

Physical Storage Devices

Disk Drive : eUSB SmartMedia

Disk Drive : WDC WD2000JB-32EVA0 (186.3GB)

Disk Drive : WDC WD2500JB-32FUA0 (232.9GB)

Disk Drive : WDC WD12 00BB-00CAA1 SCSI Disk Device (111.8GB)

Disk Drive : WDC WD20 00JB-00DUA0 SCSI Disk Device (186.3GB)

Disk Drive : WDC WD25 00JB-00EVA0 SCSI Disk Device (232.9GB)

CD-ROM/DVD : SONY DVD+RW DRU-120A (CD 32X Rd, 12X Wr) (DVD 4X Rd)

MultiMedia Device(s)

Device : Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)

Device : Creative Game Port

Printers and Faxes

Model : EPSON Stylus Photo 960

Any suggestions?

Dwight

"JTS" <5er@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have 2 computers using this combo. They work great!
>
> "CrimsonLiar" <trash@trash.com> wrote in message
> news:p ZDqc.1185$0v3.380@newsfe6-gui.server.ntli.net...
> > Im just wondering how many people there are with that combination of Vid
> and
> > sound cards that everything is running OK for, I know it works fine for
> me.
> > Another component to throw in to the melting pot though is the
> motherboard!
> >
> > CrimsonLiar
> >
> > "Eric Glaister" <glaister@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I have recently built a new system with the following specs:
> > >
> > > P4 3.2C Ghz
> > > ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
> > > Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
> > > Linksys Wireless-G NIC
> > > Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card
> > > Asus P4P800 Mobo
> > > Western Digital 80GB HD
> > > 1 Gig PC3200 DDR
> > > Windows XP Home
> > >
> > > Since Building the machine I have had frequent crashes while playing
any
> > of
> > > my games. After weeks of driver errors, bsod, vpu recover and system
> > > reboots and trying various different setups and tweaks of video card
> > > settings and IRQ settings found in this forum and many others, I have
> > traced
> > > the problem down to a Driver conflict between the Video card and Sound
> > Card.
> > >
> > > The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI
card
> > and
> > > Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers
for
> > > both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once
> > have
> > > removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the
> system
> > > stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only
problem
> > > have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use
> the
> > > 5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage
> > > find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.

Anonymous
May 20, 2004 4:09:32 AM

I believe that I have found the true culprit too the crashes occuring on my
PC. After e-mailing tech support for Sound Blaster and ATI, with there
suggestions of just updating the driver to the newsest version, I decided
that I since I knew that the issue was still present with new or old drivers
alike. I pulled all my expansion cards out and started from installing one
at a time. They all worked fine until I installed the Belkin USB 2.0 PCI
card. once this card is installed the crashes occur. The only thing that I
dont understand is that why the setup works with a 9200 series Radeon but
not with the 9800 or 9600. Not upset to be missing the ports as the Mobo
has 4 on its own and the extras were purchased for a prwvious system with
two USB 1.0 Ports. Exstatic that I can now play my games without the system
crashing and having to reboot.

"Eric Glaister" <glaister@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have recently built a new system with the following specs:
>
> P4 3.2C Ghz
> ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
> Linksys Wireless-G NIC
> Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card
> Asus P4P800 Mobo
> Western Digital 80GB HD
> 1 Gig PC3200 DDR
> Windows XP Home
>
> Since Building the machine I have had frequent crashes while playing any
of
> my games. After weeks of driver errors, bsod, vpu recover and system
> reboots and trying various different setups and tweaks of video card
> settings and IRQ settings found in this forum and many others, I have
traced
> the problem down to a Driver conflict between the Video card and Sound
Card.

> The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI card
and
> Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers for
> both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once I
have
> removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the system
> stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only problem I
> have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use the
> 5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage to
> find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.

Anonymous
May 21, 2004 12:16:43 AM

On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:53:53 -0400, "DEP" <dp@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I have a similar combo with an audigy 2 zs and have a problem with the TV
>tuner and sound. It worked for a while (low volumn, loss of noise) but some
>time a week or so I tried to use it and no sound. After messing around with
>it I no longer get a sound option using the setup, display tab,
>initialization wizard for the display function. I have tried numerous cable
>changes from the video out using both red and black cables to the line in on
>the sound card. I believe I downloaded direct X 9 but I can't find it in the
>add remove programs listing. I am using pal.

AFAIK DX9.0b has no effect on AIW sound; it's PAL and SECAM tuners
that it affects; it breaks them and you can't tune in or receive
channels at all. DirectX is not uninstallable, hence it won't show in
Add/Remove Programs: click Start > Run, type "dxdiag" and click OK,
and you'll start the DirectX diagnosis tool, which will tell you what
version of DirectX you're running, along with a lot of other
information about your system.

If you're having sound problems with an Audigy, make sure you're using
the latest drivers for it. You may need to uninstall MMC to install
soundcard drivers successfully.

If you're using a PAL tuner on a W2K or XP system, you _are_ likely to
break your tuner if you install DX9.0b, though.

HTH

>Computer System
>
>Processor(s) Model : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-53 Processor
>
>Co-Processor (FPU) : Built-in
>
>Speed : 2.40GHz
>
>Socket/Slot : Socket 940
>
>Supported Speed(s) : 2.40GHz
>
>L2 On-board Cache : 1024kB ECC synchronous write-back
>
>System Mainboard
>
>Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI USB FireWire/1394
>
>MP Support : 1 CPU(s)
>
>System BIOS : American Megatrends Inc. 080009
>
>System Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. 'SK8N'
>
>System Chipset : ASUSTeK Computer Inc Unknown (00D1)
>
>Front Side Bus Speed : 1x 200MHz (200MHz data rate)
>
>Installed Memory : 1024MB
>
>Video System
>
>Monitor/Panel : Default Monitor
>
>Adapter : ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES
>
>Adapter : ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES - Secondary
>
>Physical Storage Devices
>
>Disk Drive : eUSB SmartMedia
>
>Disk Drive : WDC WD2000JB-32EVA0 (186.3GB)
>
>Disk Drive : WDC WD2500JB-32FUA0 (232.9GB)
>
>Disk Drive : WDC WD12 00BB-00CAA1 SCSI Disk Device (111.8GB)
>
>Disk Drive : WDC WD20 00JB-00DUA0 SCSI Disk Device (186.3GB)
>
>Disk Drive : WDC WD25 00JB-00EVA0 SCSI Disk Device (232.9GB)
>
>CD-ROM/DVD : SONY DVD+RW DRU-120A (CD 32X Rd, 12X Wr) (DVD 4X Rd)
>
>MultiMedia Device(s)
>
>Device : Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
>
>Device : Creative Game Port
>
>Printers and Faxes
>
>Model : EPSON Stylus Photo 960
>

>Any suggestions?
>

>Dwight
>

>"JTS" <5er@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I have 2 computers using this combo. They work great!
>>
>> "CrimsonLiar" <trash@trash.com> wrote in message
>> news:p ZDqc.1185$0v3.380@newsfe6-gui.server.ntli.net...
>> > Im just wondering how many people there are with that combination of Vid
>> and
>> > sound cards that everything is running OK for, I know it works fine for
>> me.
>> > Another component to throw in to the melting pot though is the
>> motherboard!
>> >
>> > CrimsonLiar
>> >
>> > "Eric Glaister" <glaister@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>any