Microsoft AntiSpyWare (Beta)

a b 8 Security
January 12, 2005 8:17:01 PM

Downloaded and used, for several days, the new antispyware from Microsoft and
it worked very well on my pc with XP(Home) OS. Today, auto updates
downloaded the most recent update which included a special malware removal
tool which has yet to be identified. However, now I cannot invoke
Microsoft's antispyware program. I click on the desktop shortcut or that on
the task bar and a window drops down saying the program is loading, then
disappears. Nothing else shows, not the usual window showing the program
working or anything.
Anyone else out there having the same problem? and does anyone have the
answer to get the antispyware program working again?
January 12, 2005 8:24:53 PM

redpointe wrote:

> Downloaded and used, for several days, the new antispyware from
> Microsoft and
> it worked very well on my pc with XP(Home) OS. Today, auto updates
> downloaded the most recent update which included a special malware
> removal
> tool which has yet to be identified. However, now I cannot invoke
> Microsoft's antispyware program. I click on the desktop shortcut or
> that on the task bar and a window drops down saying the program is
> disappears. Nothing else shows, not the usual window showing the
> program working or anything.
> Anyone else out there having the same problem? and does anyone have
> the answer to get the antispyware program working again?

At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows
AntiSpyware is being provided through the following Microsoft
newsgroups:

- microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP.

To access these newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following
location:

http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...

To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following
information for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):

- NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
- Account name: privatenews\spyware
- Password: spyware

NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

"Malke" wrote:

> redpointe wrote:
>
> > Downloaded and used, for several days, the new antispyware from
> > Microsoft and
> > it worked very well on my pc with XP(Home) OS. Today, auto updates
> > downloaded the most recent update which included a special malware
> > removal
> > tool which has yet to be identified. However, now I cannot invoke
> > Microsoft's antispyware program. I click on the desktop shortcut or
> > that on the task bar and a window drops down saying the program is
> > disappears. Nothing else shows, not the usual window showing the
> > program working or anything.
> > Anyone else out there having the same problem? and does anyone have
> > the answer to get the antispyware program working again?
>
> At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows
> AntiSpyware is being provided through the following Microsoft
> newsgroups:
>
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
>
> These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP.
>
> To access these newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following
> location:
>
> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
>
> To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following
> information for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):
>
> - NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
> - Account name: privatenews\spyware
> - Password: spyware
>
> NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> Malke, Thanks for your reply. I followed your instructions to get to "privatenews/spyware" newsgroup and posted the same message there. However, today I find that my Outlook Express did not save/retain that newsgroup and in trying to again log in to it, "the server cannot be found". Would appreciate any suggestions.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 13, 2005 3:17:04 PM

Try uninstalling Microsoft AntiSpyware and re-installing it.

!