AIW 9800SE TV tuner dead

I have a hercules aiw 9800SE that is about 4 months old.
I have suddenly found that the TV tuner doesn't work at all. If I go
through the start menu and press TV I get Video In instead with a
reduced control panel, and nothing I do can get it to TV.
In options/connections, only composite or s-video is shown, no
analogue tv tuner.
I have tried reinstalling the software from CD, and checked all the
aerial connections. All was working fine a week ago and the rest of
the computer shows no problems
Is it a back to the shop job or has anyone any further suggestions?

TIA.

R.

On Wed, 19 May 2004 13:35:51 GMT, Ralph Hampton
<ralph@rhfurniture.com> wrote:

>I have a hercules aiw 9800SE that is about 4 months old.
>I have suddenly found that the TV tuner doesn't work at all. If I go
>through the start menu and press TV I get Video In instead with a
>reduced control panel, and nothing I do can get it to TV.
>In options/connections, only composite or s-video is shown, no
>analogue tv tuner.
>I have tried reinstalling the software from CD, and checked all the
>aerial connections. All was working fine a week ago and the rest of
>the computer shows no problems
>Is it a back to the shop job or has anyone any further suggestions?
>
>TIA.
>
>R.

Is this a PAL or SECAM AIW and have you recently upgraded your DirectX
to 9.0b, Ralph?

If you have, go to
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8dfd1b6d-e177-4a0e-91d0-b4310675b02b&DisplayLang=en

M$ have held their hands up to this but, a year after issuing the fix,
still don't make it easy to find and don't mention the problem on
their DX9.0b pages. They're obviously happy to have it just break
people's tuners.

Ironically, I couldn't find it, either, searching the M$ UK site: I
had to go to the US one.

patrickp

On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:27:40 +0100, patrickp <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 19 May 2004 13:35:51 GMT, Ralph Hampton
><ralph@rhfurniture.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a hercules aiw 9800SE that is about 4 months old.
>>I have suddenly found that the TV tuner doesn't work at all. If I go
>>through the start menu and press TV I get Video In instead with a
>>reduced control panel, and nothing I do can get it to TV.
>>In options/connections, only composite or s-video is shown, no
>>analogue tv tuner.
>>I have tried reinstalling the software from CD, and checked all the
>>aerial connections. All was working fine a week ago and the rest of
>>the computer shows no problems
>>Is it a back to the shop job or has anyone any further suggestions?
>>
>>TIA.
>>
>>R.
>

>Is this a PAL or SECAM AIW and have you recently upgraded your DirectX
>to 9.0b, Ralph?
>
>If you have, go to
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8dfd1b6d-e177-4a0e-91d0-b4310675b02b&DisplayLang=en
>
>M$ have held their hands up to this but, a year after issuing the fix,
>still don't make it easy to find and don't mention the problem on
>their DX9.0b pages. They're obviously happy to have it just break
>people's tuners.
>
>Ironically, I couldn't find it, either, searching the M$ UK site: I
>had to go to the US one.
>
>patrickp
>
>patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

Oh me oh my