want admin priviledges over network on XP home

January 13, 2005 12:23:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

i want to be able to do things remotely like pause network shared printers
and reboot computers. these computers are running xp home. my understanding
of xp home is that simple file sharing cannot be disabled. force-guest is
always used. is there a way to give guests administrative priviledges so
that i can do the things i want to do? if not, is there some other way?
right now i've got a vb script running on the remote machine which looks for
a certain file on a network share and pauses the printer or reboots the
machine if it sees one of these magic "command" files. this works but is a
huge kludge (even by my standards). any ideas? thanks.

--
Gary Roach
ADB Services

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Why yes, simple - upgrade to XP Pro.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

"Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
> i want to be able to do things remotely like pause network shared printers
> and reboot computers. these computers are running xp home. my
understanding
> of xp home is that simple file sharing cannot be disabled. force-guest is
> always used. is there a way to give guests administrative priviledges so
> that i can do the things i want to do? if not, is there some other way?
> right now i've got a vb script running on the remote machine which looks
for
> a certain file on a network share and pauses the printer or reboots the
> machine if it sees one of these magic "command" files. this works but is a
> huge kludge (even by my standards). any ideas? thanks.
>
> --
> Gary Roach
> ADB Services

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 5:47:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

LOL.
Duh, I want root, duh, I'm a script kiddy, I want admin, I'm too stupid to
even find a new buffer overflow and I have to troll ms ngs(Hah, wait til I
tell the guys about ...)

>i want to be able to do things remotely like pause network shared printers
>and reboot computers. these computers are running xp home. my understanding
>of xp home is that simple file sharing cannot be disabled. force-guest is
>always used. is there a way to give guests administrative priviledges so
>that i can do the things i want to do? if not, is there some other way?
>right now i've got a vb script running on the remote machine which looks
>for a certain file on a network share and pauses the printer or reboots the
>machine if it sees one of these magic "command" files. this works but is a
>huge kludge (even by my standards). any ideas? thanks.
>
> --
> Gary Roach
> ADB Services

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 5:51:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

In article <eaOofbR#EHA.1604@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca says...
> i want to be able to do things remotely like pause network shared printers
> and reboot computers. these computers are running xp home. my understanding
> of xp home is that simple file sharing cannot be disabled. force-guest is
> always used. is there a way to give guests administrative priviledges so
> that i can do the things i want to do? if not, is there some other way?
> right now i've got a vb script running on the remote machine which looks for
> a certain file on a network share and pauses the printer or reboots the
> machine if it sees one of these magic "command" files. this works but is a
> huge kludge (even by my standards). any ideas? thanks.

If you want to work remotely use VNC - it's free and provides a
window/mouse/keyboard session as though you were in front of the
machine.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
!