KB890830

January 12, 2005 9:59:06 PM

I just critical update for "Malicious Software Removal Tool." I did not want
to download to right away for fear of having some conflicts with my Norton
Firewall 2004 and/or Norton AntiVirus 2004. I have the Microsoft XP Firewall
turned OFF.
Would someone please tell me if I have to download this KB890830? Must it be
run? If I don't have to run it, how do I stop it from showing on the Critical
Update list?
I am very confused about this as I don't know what to do. Can someone help?
I have WinXPsp2; IE6, Norton AV 2004; Norton Firewall 2004 and AdAware 1.05.

More about : kb890830

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 7:41:49 PM

It's okay to use Alice, I have Nortons as well. It's not resident. It runs only once.
It doesn't install itself.

More information

Malicious software removal tool:

Not intended to be a substitute for your anti virus software.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default...

If installed via Windows Update, the tool runs in silent mode.
Locate the file named MRT.LOG in the ..\Windows\Debug folder.
This file has the report of the scan.

It is an Internet worm tool that searches for the following...

Win32/Berbew
Win32/Doomjuice
Win32/Gaobot
Win32/Msblast
Win32/Mydoom
Win32/Nachi
Win32/Sasser
Win32/Zindos

ONLY for; Win2K, WinXP and Win2003 Server.

Quote “Microsoft will release an updated version of this tool on the second Tuesday
of each month. New versions will be made available through this Web page, Windows
Update, and the Microsoft Download Center�

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890830
The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool helps remove specific,
prevalent malicious software from computers that are running Windows Server 2003,
Windows XP, or Windows 2000

"AliceZ" <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just critical update for "Malicious Software Removal Tool." I did not want
> to download to right away for fear of having some conflicts with my Norton
> Firewall 2004 and/or Norton AntiVirus 2004. I have the Microsoft XP Firewall
> turned OFF.
> Would someone please tell me if I have to download this KB890830? Must it be
> run? If I don't have to run it, how do I stop it from showing on the Critical
> Update list?
> I am very confused about this as I don't know what to do. Can someone help?
> I have WinXPsp2; IE6, Norton AV 2004; Norton Firewall 2004 and AdAware 1.05.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 7:41:50 PM

Thank you. The KB890830 will not conflict with Norton AntiVirus or Norton
Firewall,
#1- but will it conflict with AdAware 1.05? Would anyone know?
#2- Also, what happens if KB890830 finds a "worm."
#3- After we download from Critical Update page, what then? Will we be told
what to do, or will something be done automatically and then we get a report
that nothing/something was found?
#4- Will an updated version of KB890830 be listed every month on the
Critical Update page?
Please help as we are seniors and this is all a bit confusing.

"Taurarian" wrote:

> It's okay to use Alice, I have Nortons as well. It's not resident. It runs only once.
> It doesn't install itself.
>
> More information
>
> Malicious software removal tool:
>
> Not intended to be a substitute for your anti virus software.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default...
>
> If installed via Windows Update, the tool runs in silent mode.
> Locate the file named MRT.LOG in the ..\Windows\Debug folder.
> This file has the report of the scan.
>
> It is an Internet worm tool that searches for the following...
>
> Win32/Berbew
> Win32/Doomjuice
> Win32/Gaobot
> Win32/Msblast
> Win32/Mydoom
> Win32/Nachi
> Win32/Sasser
> Win32/Zindos
>
> ONLY for; Win2K, WinXP and Win2003 Server.
>
> Quote “Microsoft will release an updated version of this tool on the second Tuesday
> of each month. New versions will be made available through this Web page, Windows
> Update, and the Microsoft Download Center�
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890830
> The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool helps remove specific,
> prevalent malicious software from computers that are running Windows Server 2003,
> Windows XP, or Windows 2000
>

> "AliceZ" <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just critical update for "Malicious Software Removal Tool." I did not want
> > to download to right away for fear of having some conflicts with my Norton
> > Firewall 2004 and/or Norton AntiVirus 2004. I have the Microsoft XP Firewall
> > turned OFF.
> > Would someone please tell me if I have to download this KB890830? Must it be
> > run? If I don't have to run it, how do I stop it from showing on the Critical
> > Update list?
> > I am very confused about this as I don't know what to do. Can someone help?
> > I have WinXPsp2; IE6, Norton AV 2004; Norton Firewall 2004 and AdAware 1.05.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 3:54:07 AM

AliceZ wrote:

> Thank you. The KB890830 will not conflict with Norton AntiVirus or Norton
> Firewall,
> #1- but will it conflict with AdAware 1.05? Would anyone know?

No, it will not.

> #2- Also, what happens if KB890830 finds a "worm."

It removes it.

> #3- After we download from Critical Update page, what then? Will we be told
> what to do, or will something be done automatically and then we get a report
> that nothing/something was found?

When using Windows Updates or Automatic Updates, you will not get any
feedback whatsoever, it runs in quiet mode and then it just deletes
itself.

After it is finished, it writes the result to a log file.

To see the log file, run the following command from Start/Run:

notepad %windir%\Debug\Mrt.log

> #4- Will an updated version of KB890830 be listed every month on the
> Critical Update page?

Yes.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
January 14, 2005 3:54:08 AM

Thank you so very much. I believe you answered one of my questions sometime
last year and that answer also was informative and easily understood.
Therefore, we presume, that every month we will see an updated Critical
download for this KB890830.
#1-Will it maintain the same number (KB890830)? Or will it have another
number but make some reference that it is associated with this "KB890830
and/or Malicious Software Removal Tool?
Thanks again for your kind and easy to follow answer.
Alice

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> AliceZ wrote:
>
> > Thank you. The KB890830 will not conflict with Norton AntiVirus or Norton
> > Firewall,
> > #1- but will it conflict with AdAware 1.05? Would anyone know?
>
> No, it will not.
>

> > #2- Also, what happens if KB890830 finds a "worm."
>
> It removes it.
>

> > #3- After we download from Critical Update page, what then? Will we be told
> > what to do, or will something be done automatically and then we get a report
> > that nothing/something was found?
>
> When using Windows Updates or Automatic Updates, you will not get any
> feedback whatsoever, it runs in quiet mode and then it just deletes
> itself.
>
> After it is finished, it writes the result to a log file.
>
> To see the log file, run the following command from Start/Run:
>
> notepad %windir%\Debug\Mrt.log
>

> > #4- Will an updated version of KB890830 be listed every month on the
> > Critical Update page?
>
> Yes.

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 4:31:14 AM

AliceZ wrote:

> Thank you so very much. I believe you answered one of my questions sometime
> last year and that answer also was informative and easily understood.
> Therefore, we presume, that every month we will see an updated Critical
> download for this KB890830.
> #1-Will it maintain the same number (KB890830)? Or will it have another
> number but make some reference that it is associated with this "KB890830
> and/or Malicious Software Removal Tool?

From the FAQ part at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;890830

Q17: Will the Microsoft Knowledge Base article number of the tool
change with each new version?

A17: No. The Microsoft Knowledge Base article number for the tool
will remain as 890830 for future versions of the tool. The file
name of the tool when downloaded from the Microsoft Download
Center will change with each release to reflect the month and the
year when that version of the tool was released.

> Thanks again for your kind and easy to follow answer.

Your welcome :-)

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
January 14, 2005 4:31:15 AM

Once again, our thanks. We did download the KB890830 and we did type:
"notepad%windir%\Debug\Mrt.log" (no quotes, but percent signs were typed in)
and we got a message that Windows could not find it.
Can you explain further please? Thank you.

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> AliceZ wrote:
>
> > Thank you so very much. I believe you answered one of my questions sometime
> > last year and that answer also was informative and easily understood.
> > Therefore, we presume, that every month we will see an updated Critical
> > download for this KB890830.
> > #1-Will it maintain the same number (KB890830)? Or will it have another
> > number but make some reference that it is associated with this "KB890830
> > and/or Malicious Software Removal Tool?
>
> From the FAQ part at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;890830
>
> Q17: Will the Microsoft Knowledge Base article number of the tool
> change with each new version?
>
> A17: No. The Microsoft Knowledge Base article number for the tool
> will remain as 890830 for future versions of the tool. The file
> name of the tool when downloaded from the Microsoft Download
> Center will change with each release to reflect the month and the
> year when that version of the tool was released.
>

> > Thanks again for your kind and easy to follow answer.
>
> Your welcome :-)

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 6:39:16 AM

AliceZ wrote:

> Once again, our thanks. We did download the KB890830 and we did type:
> "notepad%windir%\Debug\Mrt.log" (no quotes, but percent signs were typed in)
> and we got a message that Windows could not find it.
> Can you explain further please? Thank you.
Hi

You need to have a space behind notepad, like this:

notepad %windir%\Debug\Mrt.log

If notepad comes up with the message below, the tool has not run (yet).

---------------------------
Notepad
---------------------------
Cannot find the C:\Windows\Debug\Mrt.log file.

Do you want to create a new file?
---------------------------
Yes No Cancel
---------------------------

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
January 14, 2005 6:39:17 AM

Thank you. Am I glad I had your assistance on this one. A confusing problem
for us was reduced to a simple download per your instructions. We should pay
more attention to the 'spaces' in commands. The answer we received follows
(which we presume is what the answer should be and what we should do every
month) Our thanks again: "Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool v1.0,
January 2005 Started On Thu Jan 13 23:36:49 2005. Removal Tool Results: No
infection found."
===================

Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Thu Jan 13 23:36:57 2005

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> AliceZ wrote:
>
> > Once again, our thanks. We did download the KB890830 and we did type:
> > "notepad%windir%\Debug\Mrt.log" (no quotes, but percent signs were typed in)
> > and we got a message that Windows could not find it.
> > Can you explain further please? Thank you.
> Hi
>
> You need to have a space behind notepad, like this:
>
> notepad %windir%\Debug\Mrt.log
>

> If notepad comes up with the message below, the tool has not run (yet).
>
> ---------------------------
> Notepad
> ---------------------------
> Cannot find the C:\Windows\Debug\Mrt.log file.
>
> Do you want to create a new file?
> ---------------------------
> Yes No Cancel
> ---------------------------

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 11:41:02 AM

Just found this thread. Just received this via WU this morning. Why is it
so misterious? It installed and ran almost like a worm, very stealthy. I
found the log and it said no problems, but why do I have to search this
unwieldy database to learn what I should have been told up front. AND, I
cannot initiate a new thread, when I try I only see the upper left corner of
the page, very tiny. I found the announcement for the tool and at the end
under 'Help and support' was a link pointing to Linkid=39987, but when I
click on that I get a little yellow splat with a red exclamation mark in the
middle for a few seconds. What's going on. I'm getting very frustrated with
a system that is supposedly well protected, but has quirky little things
keeping me from learning anything from Microsoft.

Stan

!