nt authority system

I have installed lavasoft adware. Wwhen I run for the first time the
computer then shuts down, which has been authorised by NT authority system.
The actual error message is:
WINDOWS MUST NOW RESTART BECAUSE THE DCOM SERVER PROCESS LAUNCHER SERVICE
TERMINATED UNEXPECTEDLY.

Everthing else appears to be okay.
12 answers Last reply
More about authority system

    Visit http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=55803

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "lozliz" wrote:

    | I have installed lavasoft adware. Wwhen I run for the first time the
    | computer then shuts down, which has been authorised by NT authority system.
    | The actual error message is:
    | WINDOWS MUST NOW RESTART BECAUSE THE DCOM SERVER PROCESS LAUNCHER SERVICE
    | TERMINATED UNEXPECTEDLY.
    |
    | Everthing else appears to be okay.

    That means you are infected with non-viral malware. It is a self preservation scheme that
    when you execute Adaware, the malware will shutdown the PC such that you don't get a chance
    to remove it. I think that is pretty smart and I have run accross it a couple of times it
    is certainly PITA !

    However, you CAN overcome this self preservation attempt.

    When you execute Adaware and you get the shutdown message, go to..

    Start --> run
    and type

    shutdown -a

    then hit the enter key. That should stop the shutdown sequence and allow you to clean the
    system. The following is a set of instructions I suggest to help make that cleaning process
    be effective as possible. Ignore the section about downloading Adaware unless you don't
    have Adaware SE v1.05.

    1) Download the following three items...

    Trend Sysclean Package

    Latest Trend Pattern File.

    Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Create a directory.
    On drive "C:\"
    (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
    or the desktop

    Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
    Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
    For example; lpt345.zip

    sysclean.com.

    2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
    3) Disable System Restore
    4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible
    5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
    platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
    (a few cycles may be needed)
    6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
    Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
    7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
    (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
    8) Reboot your PC.
    9) Create a new Restore point

    * * * Please report your results ! * * *

    --
    Dave

    "lozliz" <lozliz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I have installed lavasoft adware. Wwhen I run for the first time the
    | computer then shuts down, which has been authorised by NT authority system.
    | The actual error message is:
    | WINDOWS MUST NOW RESTART BECAUSE THE DCOM SERVER PROCESS LAUNCHER SERVICE
    | TERMINATED UNEXPECTEDLY.
    |
    | Everthing else appears to be okay.

    David,

    i have follwed points 1-3 below; however have stumbled at point 4.

    How do you reboot the computer into safe mode.

    Also once i run the various programmes how do i know what to delete and what
    not to delete ?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    thanks

    lozliz

    "David H. Lipman" wrote:

    > That means you are infected with non-viral malware. It is a self preservation scheme that
    > when you execute Adaware, the malware will shutdown the PC such that you don't get a chance
    > to remove it. I think that is pretty smart and I have run accross it a couple of times it
    > is certainly PITA !
    >
    > However, you CAN overcome this self preservation attempt.
    >
    > When you execute Adaware and you get the shutdown message, go to..
    >
    > Start --> run
    > and type
    >
    > shutdown -a
    >
    > then hit the enter key. That should stop the shutdown sequence and allow you to clean the
    > system. The following is a set of instructions I suggest to help make that cleaning process
    > be effective as possible. Ignore the section about downloading Adaware unless you don't
    > have Adaware SE v1.05.
    >
    > 1) Download the following three items...
    >
    > Trend Sysclean Package
    > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
    >
    > Latest Trend Pattern File.
    > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp
    >
    > Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >
    > Create a directory.
    > On drive "C:\"
    > (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
    > or the desktop
    > (e.g., "C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\Desktop\New Folder")
    >
    > Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
    > Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
    > For example; lpt345.zip
    >
    > Extract the contents of the ZIP file and place the contents in the same directory as
    > sysclean.com.
    >
    > 2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
    > 3) Disable System Restore
    > http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore.htm
    > 4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible
    > 5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
    > platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
    > (a few cycles may be needed)
    > 6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
    > Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
    > 7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
    > (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
    > 8) Reboot your PC.
    > 9) Create a new Restore point
    >

    > * * * Please report your results ! * * *
    >

    > --
    > Dave
    >

    > "lozliz" <lozliz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | I have installed lavasoft adware. Wwhen I run for the first time the
    > | computer then shuts down, which has been authorised by NT authority system.
    > | The actual error message is:
    > | WINDOWS MUST NOW RESTART BECAUSE THE DCOM SERVER PROCESS LAUNCHER SERVICE
    > | TERMINATED UNEXPECTEDLY.
    > |
    > | Everthing else appears to be okay.

    WinXP Boot into Safe Mode --
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx

    How to perform a Clean Boot of WinXP --
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

    Generic Trojan, Spyware removal information --

    Trend will automatically deleted viruses, worms and/or Trojans. Adaware will provide you
    what it finds. You will have to check the box of the items it finds for it to clean those
    items selected.
    --

> [...]
    | > (a few cycles may be needed)
    | > 6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
    | > Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
    | > 7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
    | > (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
    | > 8) Reboot your PC.
    | > 9) Create a new Restore point
    | >

    | > * * * Please report your results ! * * *
    | >

    | > --
    | > Dave
    | > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    | >

    | > "lozliz" <lozliz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | I have installed lavasoft adware. Wwhen I run for the first time the
    | > | computer then shuts down, which has been authorised by NT authority system.
    | > | The actual error message is:
    | > | WINDOWS MUST NOW RESTART BECAUSE THE DCOM SERVER PROCESS LAUNCHER SERVICE
    | > |
    | > | Everthing else appears to be okay.

    Dave,

    I have completed 2 runs of trends sysclean, ad-ware & McAfee stinger twice
    in safe mode. I have then run all three once in normal mode.
    Ad Aware now runs without shutting down XP. It does identify about 200
    items, which fall into the following categories.

    Windupdates: 5 objects

    Bargin Buddy: 90 objects

    BlazeFind: 1 object

    SahAgent: 30 objects

    Search Relevancy: 13 objects

    180 solutions: 45 objects

    Radsol.Quadrogram: 1 object

    Other: 7 objects

    Are they all safe to delete? Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Lozliz

    lozliz wrote:
    > Dave,
    >
    > I have completed 2 runs of trends sysclean, ad-ware & McAfee stinger twice
    > in safe mode. I have then run all three once in normal mode.
    > Ad Aware now runs without shutting down XP. It does identify about 200
    > items, which fall into the following categories.
    >
    > Windupdates: 5 objects

    Sunbelt Spyware Research Center
    http://research.sunbelt-software.com/threat_display.cfm?name=WindUpdates

    > Bargin Buddy: 90 objects

    Symantec Security Response - Adware.BargainBuddy
    http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.bargainbuddy.html

    > BlazeFind: 1 object

    Symantec Security Response - Adware.BlazeFind
    http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.blazefind.html

    > SahAgent: 30 objects

    Symantec Security Response - Adware.SAHAgent
    http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.sahagent.html

    > Search Relevancy: 13 objects

    Symantec Security Response - Spyware.Relevancy
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/spyware.relevancy.html

    > 180 solutions: 45 objects

    PC Hell: How to Remove Ncase from 180 Solutions
    http://www.pchell.com/support/ncase.shtml

    > Radsol.Quadrogram: 1 object

    eTrust PestPatrol Pest Encyclopedia - Rads01.Quadrogram
    http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/r/rads01_quadrogram.asp

    > Other: 7 objects
    >
    > Are they all safe to delete? Any help would be appreciated.

    Wow! Do you collect spyware for a hobby? ;-} Yes, it's not only
    safe, but highly advisable, for you to delete most of those. The "other"
    category is too vague and a bit puzzling, though; leave those alone and
    provide some specific details about them, if you can.

    Then, you might want to learn a little bit about practicing "safe hex."

    Neither adware nor spyware, collectively known as scumware,
    magically install themselves on anyone's computer. They are almost
    always deliberately installed by the computer's user, as part of some
    allegedly "free" service or product.

    While there are some unscrupulous malware distributors out there,
    who do attempt to install and exploit malware without consent, the
    majority of them simply rely upon the intellectual laziness and
    gullibility of the average consumer, counting on them to quickly click
    past the EULA in his/her haste to get the latest in "free" cutesy
    cursors, screensavers, "utilities," and/or wallpapers.

    If you were to read the EULAs that accompany, and to which the
    computer user must agree before the download/installation of the
    "screensaver" continues, most adware and spyware, you'll find that
    they _do_ have the consumer's permission to do exactly what they're
    doing. In the overwhelming majority of cases, computer users have no
    one to blame but themselves.

    There are several essential components to computer security: a
    knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
    reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
    patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

    The weakest link in this "equation" is, all-too-often, the computer
    user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected to --
    protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people have
    bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing claims of
    easy computing. They believe that their computer should be no harder to
    use than a toaster oven; they have neither the inclination or desire to
    learn how to safely use their computer. All too few people keep their
    antivirus software current, install patches in a timely manner, or stop
    to really think about that cutesy link they're about to click.

    Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
    and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
    but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
    user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and every
    computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

    To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

    Protect Your PC

    Home Computer Security
    http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

    List of Antivirus Software Vendors
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

    Home PC Firewall Guide
    http://www.firewallguide.com/

    Scumware.com
    http://www.scumware.com/

    The Parasite Fight
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce,

    Thanks for the info all items now deleted. "others" disappeared when i
    deleted the other items.

    I will now spend time reading the additional links you sent.

    Thank you.

    lozliz

    lozliz wrote:
    > Bruce,
    >
    > Thanks for the info all items now deleted. "others" disappeared when i
    > deleted the other items.
    >
    > I will now spend time reading the additional links you sent.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > lozliz

    You're welcome.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce has provided pertinent information.
    All I can say is "dump them all !"

    --

    | Dave,
    |
    | I have completed 2 runs of trends sysclean, ad-ware & McAfee stinger twice
    | in safe mode. I have then run all three once in normal mode.
    | Ad Aware now runs without shutting down XP. It does identify about 200
    | items, which fall into the following categories.
    |
    | Windupdates: 5 objects
    |
    | Bargin Buddy: 90 objects
    |
    | BlazeFind: 1 object
    |
    | SahAgent: 30 objects
    |
    | Search Relevancy: 13 objects
    |
    | 180 solutions: 45 objects
    |
    | Radsol.Quadrogram: 1 object
    |
    | Other: 7 objects
    |
    | Are they all safe to delete? Any help would be appreciated.
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | Lozliz
    |

    | "David H. Lipman" wrote:
    |
    | > WinXP Boot into Safe Mode --

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx

    | > How to perform a Clean Boot of WinXP --
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    | >
    | > Generic Trojan, Spyware removal information --
    | > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    | >
    | > Trend will automatically deleted viruses, worms and/or Trojans. Adaware will provide
    you
    | > what it finds. You will have to check the box of the items it finds for it to clean
    those
    | > items selected.
    | > --
    | > Dave
    | >

    | > "lozliz" <lozliz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | David,
    | > |
    | > | i have follwed points 1-3 below; however have stumbled at point 4.
    | > |
    | > | How do you reboot the computer into safe mode.
    | > |
    | > | Also once i run the various programmes how do i know what to delete and what
    | > | not to delete ?
    | > |
    | > | Any advice would be appreciated.
    | > |
    | > | thanks
    | > |
    | > | lozliz
    | > |
    | > | "David H. Lipman" wrote:
    | > |
    | > that
    | > chance
    | > it

    | > the
    | > process

    | > | > |

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Dave,

    All clean for the time being! Thanks for all your help.

    Lozliz

    "David H. Lipman" wrote:

    > Bruce has provided pertinent information.
    > All I can say is "dump them all !"
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    >

    > "lozliz" <lozliz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Dave,
    > |
    > | I have completed 2 runs of trends sysclean, ad-ware & McAfee stinger twice
    > | in safe mode. I have then run all three once in normal mode.
    > | Ad Aware now runs without shutting down XP. It does identify about 200
    > | items, which fall into the following categories.
    > |
    > | Windupdates: 5 objects
    > |
    > | Bargin Buddy: 90 objects
    > |
    > | BlazeFind: 1 object
    > |
    > | SahAgent: 30 objects
    > |
    > | Search Relevancy: 13 objects
    > |
    > | 180 solutions: 45 objects
    > |
    > | Radsol.Quadrogram: 1 object
    > |
    > | Other: 7 objects
    > |
    > | Are they all safe to delete? Any help would be appreciated.
    > |
    > | Thanks
    > |
    > | Lozliz
    > |

    > | "David H. Lipman" wrote:
    > |
    > | > WinXP Boot into Safe Mode --
    > | >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx
    > | >
    > | > How to perform a Clean Boot of WinXP --
    > | > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    > | >
    > | > Generic Trojan, Spyware removal information --
    > | > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    > | >
    > | > Trend will automatically deleted viruses, worms and/or Trojans. Adaware will provide
    > you
    > | > what it finds. You will have to check the box of the items it finds for it to clean
    > those
    > | > items selected.
    > | > --
    > | > Dave
    > | >

    > | > "lozliz" <lozliz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > scheme
    > | > that
    > | > chance
    > times
    > | > it

    > clean
    > | > the
    > | > process
    > don't

    > your
    > the

    > | > | > |

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Dave,

    All clean for the time being!

    Thanks for all your help.

    lozliz

    "David H. Lipman" wrote:

    > Bruce has provided pertinent information.
    > All I can say is "dump them all !"
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    >

    > "lozliz" <lozliz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Dave,
    > |
    > | I have completed 2 runs of trends sysclean, ad-ware & McAfee stinger twice
    > | in safe mode. I have then run all three once in normal mode.
    > | Ad Aware now runs without shutting down XP. It does identify about 200
    > | items, which fall into the following categories.
    > |
    > | Windupdates: 5 objects
    > |
    > | Bargin Buddy: 90 objects
    > |
    > | BlazeFind: 1 object
    > |
    > | SahAgent: 30 objects
    > |
    > | Search Relevancy: 13 objects
    > |
    > | 180 solutions: 45 objects
    > |
    > | Radsol.Quadrogram: 1 object
    > |
    > | Other: 7 objects
    > |
    > | Are they all safe to delete? Any help would be appreciated.
    > |
    > | Thanks
    > |
    > | Lozliz
    > |

    > | "David H. Lipman" wrote:
    > |
    > | > WinXP Boot into Safe Mode --
    > | >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx
    > | >
    > | > How to perform a Clean Boot of WinXP --
    > | > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    > | >
    > | > Generic Trojan, Spyware removal information --
    > | > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    > | >
    > | > Trend will automatically deleted viruses, worms and/or Trojans. Adaware will provide
    > you
    > | > what it finds. You will have to check the box of the items it finds for it to clean
    > those
    > | > items selected.
    > | > --
    > | > Dave
    > | >

    > | > "lozliz" <lozliz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > scheme
    > | > that
    > | > chance
    > times
    > | > it

    > clean
    > | > the
    > | > process
    > don't

    > your
    > the

    > | > | > |

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Anytime !

    --

    | Dave,
    |
    | All clean for the time being! Thanks for all your help.
    |
    | Lozliz
    |
    | "David H. Lipman" wrote:
    |
    | > Bruce has provided pertinent information.
    | > All I can say is "dump them all !"
    | >
    | > --
    | > Dave
    | >

    | > "lozliz" <lozliz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | Dave,
    | > |
    | > | I have completed 2 runs of trends sysclean, ad-ware & McAfee stinger twice
    | > | in safe mode. I have then run all three once in normal mode.
    | > | Ad Aware now runs without shutting down XP. It does identify about 200
    | > | items, which fall into the following categories.
    | > |
    | > | Windupdates: 5 objects
    | > |
    | > | Bargin Buddy: 90 objects
    | > |
    | > | BlazeFind: 1 object
    | > |
    | > | SahAgent: 30 objects
    | > |
    | > | Search Relevancy: 13 objects
    | > |
    | > | 180 solutions: 45 objects
    | > |
    | > | Radsol.Quadrogram: 1 object
    | > |
    | > | Other: 7 objects
    | > |
    | > | Are they all safe to delete? Any help would be appreciated.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks
    | > |
    | > | Lozliz