XP SP2 Firewall Problem

January 13, 2005 11:01:04 AM

I recently slipstreamed SP2 into my Windows XP installation CD. I followed
the procedure listed at http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=9235 to
create my bootable CD from my original XP CD. The slipstream processes with
absolutely no errors and completes.

When I use this new CD to do a new install everything appears to work
correctly and the system installs and works fine, but when I try to access
the Windows Firewall settings in Security Center I get the following error
message:

"Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall
Settings"

Now if I reinstall SP2 on top of the current install I am able to access the
Firewall settings, but I would like to find out why this is happening on a
fresh install of Windows XP w/ SP2 integrated into the install CD.

Any help will be greatly appretiated.

Chris Buckbee

More about : sp2 firewall problem

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 8:06:13 PM

Chris Buckbee wrote:

> I recently slipstreamed SP2 into my Windows XP installation CD. I followed
> the procedure listed at http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=9235 to
> create my bootable CD from my original XP CD. The slipstream processes with
> absolutely no errors and completes.
>
> When I use this new CD to do a new install everything appears to work
> correctly and the system installs and works fine, but when I try to access
> the Windows Firewall settings in Security Center I get the following error
> message:
>
> "Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall
> Settings"
>
> Now if I reinstall SP2 on top of the current install I am able to access the
> Firewall settings, but I would like to find out why this is happening on a
> fresh install of Windows XP w/ SP2 integrated into the install CD.
Hi

Instead of reinstalling SP2, see if registering the following DLLs helps
(but I have no clue about what causes this problem in the first case).

From Start/Run, run the following commands:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll

then

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netshell.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netcfgx.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netman.dll

Then do a reboot.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
January 13, 2005 8:06:14 PM

Registering the DLLs and the restarting did not fix the problem. I am still
not able to access the Firewall settings. I checked the Services on the PC
and it shows that the Windows Firewall service is started, but when I try to
access the settings I still get the same error.

Chris Buckbee

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> Chris Buckbee wrote:
>
> > I recently slipstreamed SP2 into my Windows XP installation CD. I followed
> > the procedure listed at http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=9235 to
> > create my bootable CD from my original XP CD. The slipstream processes with
> > absolutely no errors and completes.
> >
> > When I use this new CD to do a new install everything appears to work
> > correctly and the system installs and works fine, but when I try to access
> > the Windows Firewall settings in Security Center I get the following error
> > message:
> >
> > "Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall
> > Settings"
> >
> > Now if I reinstall SP2 on top of the current install I am able to access the
> > Firewall settings, but I would like to find out why this is happening on a
> > fresh install of Windows XP w/ SP2 integrated into the install CD.
> Hi
>
> Instead of reinstalling SP2, see if registering the following DLLs helps
> (but I have no clue about what causes this problem in the first case).
>
> From Start/Run, run the following commands:
>
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll
>
> then
>
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netshell.dll
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netcfgx.dll
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netman.dll
>
> Then do a reboot.

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 1:12:43 AM

Chris Buckbee wrote:

> Registering the DLLs and the restarting did not fix the problem. I am still
> not able to access the Firewall settings. I checked the Services on the PC
> and it shows that the Windows Firewall service is started, but when I try to
> access the settings I still get the same error.
Hi

Please try this:

Start/Run --> cmd.exe

and then, in the command prompt, type: