XP SP2 Firewall Problem

I recently slipstreamed SP2 into my Windows XP installation CD. I followed
the procedure listed at http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=9235 to
create my bootable CD from my original XP CD. The slipstream processes with
absolutely no errors and completes.

When I use this new CD to do a new install everything appears to work
correctly and the system installs and works fine, but when I try to access
the Windows Firewall settings in Security Center I get the following error
message:

"Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall
Settings"

Now if I reinstall SP2 on top of the current install I am able to access the
Firewall settings, but I would like to find out why this is happening on a
fresh install of Windows XP w/ SP2 integrated into the install CD.

Any help will be greatly appretiated.

Chris Buckbee
3 answers Last reply
More about firewall problem

    Chris Buckbee wrote:

    > I recently slipstreamed SP2 into my Windows XP installation CD. I followed
    > the procedure listed at http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=9235 to
    > create my bootable CD from my original XP CD. The slipstream processes with
    > absolutely no errors and completes.
    >
    > When I use this new CD to do a new install everything appears to work
    > correctly and the system installs and works fine, but when I try to access
    > the Windows Firewall settings in Security Center I get the following error
    > message:
    >
    > "Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall
    > Settings"
    >
    > Now if I reinstall SP2 on top of the current install I am able to access the
    > Firewall settings, but I would like to find out why this is happening on a
    > fresh install of Windows XP w/ SP2 integrated into the install CD.
    Hi

    Instead of reinstalling SP2, see if registering the following DLLs helps
    (but I have no clue about what causes this problem in the first case).

    From Start/Run, run the following commands:

    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll

    then

    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netshell.dll
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netcfgx.dll
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netman.dll

    Then do a reboot.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Registering the DLLs and the restarting did not fix the problem. I am still
    not able to access the Firewall settings. I checked the Services on the PC
    and it shows that the Windows Firewall service is started, but when I try to
    access the settings I still get the same error.

    Chris Buckbee

    Chris Buckbee wrote:

    > Registering the DLLs and the restarting did not fix the problem. I am still
    > not able to access the Firewall settings. I checked the Services on the PC
    > and it shows that the Windows Firewall service is started, but when I try to
    > access the settings I still get the same error.
    Hi

    Please try this:

    Start/Run --> cmd.exe

    and then, in the command prompt, type: