What input for HL2?

I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
please.

Thanks,
Jim
19 answers Last reply
More about what input

    I play with a joystick and mouse. I'm very quick this way. I'm not much of
    a gamer so this configuration makes up for my short-comings. I also don't
    have to take my eyes off the screen to look at the keyboard.

    DaveL

    <*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
    > I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
    > 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
    > please.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    <*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
    >I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
    > 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
    > please.

    It seems rather simplistic, but I can't imagine playing an FPS without a
    keyboard&mouse. You don't need one of those fancy "gamer keyboards"
    either..just one that can accept multiple buttons being pressed at the same
    time.

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:29:37 -0500, *jimanno@comcast.net* wrote:

    >I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
    >2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
    >please.

    KB&Mouse by far the best.

    *jimanno@comcast.net* wrote:
    > I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
    > 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best?

    Keyboard and mouse is THE ONLY way to play first-person shooters.

    --

    (O) e n o n e

    The best device has to be wireless optical mouse - no snagging or
    rollor-ball getting caught up in fast paced action !

    My gaming has improved immensly with the microsoft optical wireless mouse...

    The curved keyboards are also more comfortable than standard keyboard
    layout...

    Domestos

    "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I play with a joystick and mouse. I'm very quick this way. I'm not
    > much of a gamer so this configuration makes up for my short-comings.
    > I also don't have to take my eyes off the screen to look at the
    > keyboard.
    >
    > DaveL

    Neither do I, I touchtype ;)

    And I use mouse and keyboard for FPS's, Joystick/keyboard for flight
    sims.
    McG.

    > <*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
    >> I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
    >> 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
    >> please.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jim

    Ever heard of "touch typing"???? Been around for a while....

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:59:22 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >I play with a joystick and mouse. I'm very quick this way. I'm not much of
    >a gamer so this configuration makes up for my short-comings. I also don't
    >have to take my eyes off the screen to look at the keyboard.
    >
    >DaveL
    >

    ><*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
    >> I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
    >> 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
    >> please.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jim

    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
    the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
    and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in
    the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
    and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

    Touch typing? Sure! Learned it years ago. Then I got into the computer
    field and forgot it. :)

    DaveL

    Cannon Fodder wrote:
    > Ever heard of "touch typing"???? Been around for a while....

    Better teach that one to Paul ;)

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    <*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
    >I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
    > 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
    > please.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    Mouse + Nostromo Speedpad N52. Would never go back to the keyboard after
    using the N52.

    I love the idea of using the Nostromo. Too bad I found the keys too hard
    :( It would most definetely agravate my tendonitis :(

    Jay

    TRF wrote:
    > <*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
    >
    >>I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
    >>2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
    >>please.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Jim
    >

    > Mouse + Nostromo Speedpad N52. Would never go back to the keyboard after
    > using the N52.

    >I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
    > 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
    > please.

    I tend to use keyboard and mouse, although this isn't ideal for me. I
    have an old injury to my left arm and hand, which makes things
    difficult for me, when there are lots of keys involved. I usually do
    fine at FPS games, but have trouble in quick-moving multiplayer games
    (like deathmatch) and titles like Oni (keyboard only and lots of it)
    are right out.

    -----
    Anders Simonsson
    Website: http://hem.bredband.net/b273622/index.html

    "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam> wrote in message
    > *jimanno@comcast.net* wrote:
    >> I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
    >> 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
    >> please.
    >
    > What a silly question. ;)
    >
    > Keyboard and mouse is the only way to play an FPS. Playing an FPS
    > with a gamepad or any kind of joy/flightstick is like running a
    > marathon in a leg cast. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't play
    > multiplayer, and if they do, they get their asses royally kicked
    > every single time, with no hope of ever improving the situation.

    The only way I survived Quakeworld CTF ( *Spooooon!* ) was to get good
    at using the keyboard and the mouse. I've found a very few ol diehards
    that use ONLY the keyboard and are pretty darn good. They have a hard
    time with circle strafing, but they're good. Keyboard/Mouse are so
    ingrained now there just isn't anything else :)
    Nice photography site too Mike.
    Happy New Year!
    McG.

    "TRF" <trfab@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > <*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
    >> I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
    >> 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
    >> please.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jim
    >
    > Mouse + Nostromo Speedpad N52. Would never go back to the keyboard
    > after using the N52.

    Damn. That actually looks interesting. Not a 'pad', not a keyboard,
    not a glove....something of each :) I sure hope there's 3 buttons for
    each fingertip!!!
    McG.

    > "TRF" <trfab@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> <*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
    >>> I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
    >>> 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
    >>> please.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Jim
    >>
    >> Mouse + Nostromo Speedpad N52. Would never go back to the keyboard
    >> after using the N52.
    >
    > Damn. That actually looks interesting. Not a 'pad', not a keyboard, not
    > a glove....something of each :) I sure hope there's 3 buttons for each
    > fingertip!!!
    > McG.

    Amazon is selling the n52 for $29.99. That's a great deal and it's
    apparently in stock.

    If you buy one use velcro to hold it in place. The rubber bottom doesn't
    cut it for stickin' it down.

    Mike Kohary wrote:
    > Someone else mentioned the Nostromo device, which replaces the keyboard part
    > of things exceedingly well. I don't have one of my own yet, but after using
    > a friend's, plan to buy one at some point.

    These Nostromo things seem to be all the rage in here at the moment.. I
    gotta admit I have no idea what they even look like.. are they really
    that good for 3DFPS games? I'd be sceptical at the idea of using
    anything other than keyboard/mouse

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
    > Mike Kohary wrote:
    >> Someone else mentioned the Nostromo device, which replaces the
    >> keyboard part of things exceedingly well. I don't have one of my
    >> own yet, but after using a friend's, plan to buy one at some point.
    >
    > These Nostromo things seem to be all the rage in here at the moment..
    > I gotta admit I have no idea what they even look like.. are they
    > really that good for 3DFPS games? I'd be sceptical at the idea of
    > using anything other than keyboard/mouse

    Well, I looked it up. It's for your Left Hand. That leaves about 7% of
    us out :) Well not me, I'm a lefty but the mouse only ever fit my right
    hand for some damn reason :-\ which ain't so bad cause my Wacom
    Graphires Pen absolutely fits only my left hand :) [WHAT keyboard?!?
    ;) ]
    McG.

    Mike Kohary wrote:

    > It's pretty amazing. It replaces the keyboard because it is itself a
    > keyboard, but a very specialized one made specifically for gaming. The
    > genius is that it condenses everything you need to access on a normal
    > keyboard into a smaller space, so that more is accessible within easy reach
    > of your fingers than it is on a standard keyboard. Here's a picture:
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DC643
    >
    > Click on the small picture to get a closer look, and read the customer
    > reviews. It looks weird, but once you use one, you want one. I'm not sure
    > why I haven't bought one yet, actually.

    Wow! that's a weird looking thing.... I can see where they're coming
    from with the design... looks very intuitive for anyone who uses WASD as
    their control setup...

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    > Ben Cottrell wrote:
    >> Mike Kohary wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's pretty amazing. It replaces the keyboard because it is itself a
    >>> keyboard, but a very specialized one made specifically for gaming. The
    >>> genius is that it condenses everything you need to access on a
    >>> normal keyboard into a smaller space, so that more is accessible
    >>> within easy reach of your fingers than it is on a standard keyboard.
    >>> Here's a picture:
    >>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DC643
    >>>
    >>> Click on the small picture to get a closer look, and read the
    >>> customer reviews. It looks weird, but once you use one, you want
    >>> one. I'm not sure why I haven't bought one yet, actually.
    >>
    >> Wow! that's a weird looking thing.... I can see where they're coming
    >> from with the design... looks very intuitive for anyone who uses WASD
    >> as their control setup...
    >
    > Exactly. Most of these oddball devices are just that - oddball, and not
    > very useful. This is one of the rare odd devices that is useful, and
    > possibly even superior to the keyboard. It was clearly designed by guys
    > who actually play FPS games, instead of guys trying to outdo Apple's
    > design philosophy. ;) It looks odd, but functionality was clearly the
    > design priority.

    > Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com
    >
    > Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
    > Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks

    alright, based on the posts for the N52, I ran out and bought one (tough
    time finding one in Toronto, Comp had it for $49).

    a couple questions:

    - where are the game profiles? I was under the impression it installed some
    default ones from the CD however my profiles directory is blank.

    - does anyone know (or have) a fan site for this device that has profiles
    already set-up? Looking at Belkin's site, there is not a lot (can't find the
    first half-life, can't find American McGee's Alice or Clive Barker's
    Undying, etc).

    Many thanks!

Games Devices Keyboards Video Games