What input for HL2?

Last response: in Video Games
December 30, 2004 6:29:37 PM

I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
please.

Thanks,
Jim

More about : input hl2

December 30, 2004 6:59:22 PM

I play with a joystick and mouse. I'm very quick this way. I'm not much of
a gamer so this configuration makes up for my short-comings. I also don't
have to take my eyes off the screen to look at the keyboard.

DaveL

<*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
> I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
> 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
> please.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 8:01:05 PM

<*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
>I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
> 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
> please.

It seems rather simplistic, but I can't imagine playing an FPS without a
keyboard&mouse. You don't need one of those fancy "gamer keyboards"
either..just one that can accept multiple buttons being pressed at the same
time.
Related resources
December 30, 2004 11:56:25 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:29:37 -0500, *jimanno@comcast.net* wrote:

>I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
>2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
>please.

KB&Mouse by far the best.
December 31, 2004 1:28:48 AM

*jimanno@comcast.net* wrote:
> I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
> 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best?

Keyboard and mouse is THE ONLY way to play first-person shooters.

--

(O) e n o n e
Anonymous

The best device has to be wireless optical mouse - no snagging or
rollor-ball getting caught up in fast paced action !

My gaming has improved immensly with the microsoft optical wireless mouse...

The curved keyboards are also more comfortable than standard keyboard
layout...

Domestos
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 3:43:06 AM

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I play with a joystick and mouse. I'm very quick this way. I'm not
> much of a gamer so this configuration makes up for my short-comings.
> I also don't have to take my eyes off the screen to look at the
> keyboard.
>
> DaveL

Neither do I, I touchtype ;)

And I use mouse and keyboard for FPS's, Joystick/keyboard for flight
sims.
McG.

> <*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
>> I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
>> 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
>> please.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 3:53:28 AM

Ever heard of "touch typing"???? Been around for a while....

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:59:22 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I play with a joystick and mouse. I'm very quick this way. I'm not much of
>a gamer so this configuration makes up for my short-comings. I also don't
>have to take my eyes off the screen to look at the keyboard.
>
>DaveL
>

><*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
>> I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
>> 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
>> please.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"
December 31, 2004 3:53:29 AM

Touch typing? Sure! Learned it years ago. Then I got into the computer
field and forgot it. :)

DaveL

"Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote in message
> Ever heard of "touch typing"???? Been around for a while....
>
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:59:22 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I play with a joystick and mouse. I'm very quick this way. I'm not much
of
> >a gamer so this configuration makes up for my short-comings. I also
don't
> >have to take my eyes off the screen to look at the keyboard.
> >
> >DaveL
> >

> ><*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
> >> I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
> >> 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
> >> please.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Jim
>

> "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
> the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
> and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
> sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in
> the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
> and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 5:22:36 AM

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> Ever heard of "touch typing"???? Been around for a while....

Better teach that one to Paul ;)

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
Anonymous

<*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
>I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
> 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
> please.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Mouse + Nostromo Speedpad N52. Would never go back to the keyboard after
using the N52.
December 31, 2004 12:54:54 PM

I love the idea of using the Nostromo. Too bad I found the keys too hard
:(  It would most definetely agravate my tendonitis :(

Jay

TRF wrote:
> <*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
>
>>I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
>>2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
>>please.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Jim
>

> Mouse + Nostromo Speedpad N52. Would never go back to the keyboard after
> using the N52.

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 1:21:17 PM

>I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
> 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
> please.

I tend to use keyboard and mouse, although this isn't ideal for me. I
have an old injury to my left arm and hand, which makes things
difficult for me, when there are lots of keys involved. I usually do
fine at FPS games, but have trouble in quick-moving multiplayer games
(like deathmatch) and titles like Oni (keyboard only and lots of it)
are right out.

-----
Anders Simonsson
Website: http://hem.bredband.net/b273622/index.html
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 2:54:38 PM

"Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam> wrote in message
> *jimanno@comcast.net* wrote:
>> I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
>> 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
>> please.
>
> What a silly question. ;)
>
> Keyboard and mouse is the only way to play an FPS. Playing an FPS
> with a gamepad or any kind of joy/flightstick is like running a
> marathon in a leg cast. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't play
> multiplayer, and if they do, they get their asses royally kicked
> every single time, with no hope of ever improving the situation.

The only way I survived Quakeworld CTF ( *Spooooon!* ) was to get good
at using the keyboard and the mouse. I've found a very few ol diehards
that use ONLY the keyboard and are pretty darn good. They have a hard
time with circle strafing, but they're good. Keyboard/Mouse are so
ingrained now there just isn't anything else :)
Nice photography site too Mike.
Happy New Year!
McG.
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 2:58:01 PM

"TRF" <trfab@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> <*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
>> I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
>> 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
>> please.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim
>
> Mouse + Nostromo Speedpad N52. Would never go back to the keyboard
> after using the N52.

Damn. That actually looks interesting. Not a 'pad', not a keyboard,
not a glove....something of each :)  I sure hope there's 3 buttons for
each fingertip!!!
McG.
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 5:28:48 AM

news:D 9bBd.36998$yv2.24428@fe2.texas.rr.com...
> "TRF" <trfab@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> <*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
>>> I was wondering what input device people are using to play Half Life
>>> 2. Is keyboard and mouse the best? What about a game pad? Opinions
>>> please.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jim
>>
>> Mouse + Nostromo Speedpad N52. Would never go back to the keyboard
>> after using the N52.
>
> Damn. That actually looks interesting. Not a 'pad', not a keyboard, not
> a glove....something of each :)  I sure hope there's 3 buttons for each
> fingertip!!!
> McG.

Amazon is selling the n52 for $29.99. That's a great deal and it's
apparently in stock.

If you buy one use velcro to hold it in place. The rubber bottom doesn't
cut it for stickin' it down.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 6:36:47 AM

Mike Kohary wrote:
> Someone else mentioned the Nostromo device, which replaces the keyboard part
> of things exceedingly well. I don't have one of my own yet, but after using
> a friend's, plan to buy one at some point.

These Nostromo things seem to be all the rage in here at the moment.. I
gotta admit I have no idea what they even look like.. are they really
that good for 3DFPS games? I'd be sceptical at the idea of using
anything other than keyboard/mouse

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
Anonymous

"Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
> Mike Kohary wrote:
>> Someone else mentioned the Nostromo device, which replaces the
>> keyboard part of things exceedingly well. I don't have one of my
>> own yet, but after using a friend's, plan to buy one at some point.
>
> These Nostromo things seem to be all the rage in here at the moment..
> I gotta admit I have no idea what they even look like.. are they
> really that good for 3DFPS games? I'd be sceptical at the idea of
> using anything other than keyboard/mouse

Well, I looked it up. It's for your Left Hand. That leaves about 7% of
us out :)  Well not me, I'm a lefty but the mouse only ever fit my right
hand for some damn reason :-\ which ain't so bad cause my Wacom
Graphires Pen absolutely fits only my left hand :)  [WHAT keyboard?!?
;)  ]
McG.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 4:41:23 PM

Mike Kohary wrote:

> It's pretty amazing. It replaces the keyboard because it is itself a
> keyboard, but a very specialized one made specifically for gaming. The
> genius is that it condenses everything you need to access on a normal
> keyboard into a smaller space, so that more is accessible within easy reach
> of your fingers than it is on a standard keyboard. Here's a picture:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DC64...
>
> Click on the small picture to get a closer look, and read the customer
> reviews. It looks weird, but once you use one, you want one. I'm not sure
> why I haven't bought one yet, actually.

Wow! that's a weird looking thing.... I can see where they're coming
from with the design... looks very intuitive for anyone who uses WASD as
their control setup...

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
Anonymous

> Ben Cottrell wrote:
>> Mike Kohary wrote:
>>
>>> It's pretty amazing. It replaces the keyboard because it is itself a
>>> keyboard, but a very specialized one made specifically for gaming. The
>>> genius is that it condenses everything you need to access on a
>>> normal keyboard into a smaller space, so that more is accessible
>>> within easy reach of your fingers than it is on a standard keyboard.
>>> Here's a picture:
>>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DC64...
>>>
>>> Click on the small picture to get a closer look, and read the
>>> customer reviews. It looks weird, but once you use one, you want
>>> one. I'm not sure why I haven't bought one yet, actually.
>>
>> Wow! that's a weird looking thing.... I can see where they're coming
>> from with the design... looks very intuitive for anyone who uses WASD
>> as their control setup...
>
> Exactly. Most of these oddball devices are just that - oddball, and not
> very useful. This is one of the rare odd devices that is useful, and
> possibly even superior to the keyboard. It was clearly designed by guys
> who actually play FPS games, instead of guys trying to outdo Apple's
> design philosophy. ;)  It looks odd, but functionality was clearly the
> design priority.

> Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com
>
> Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
> Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks

alright, based on the posts for the N52, I ran out and bought one (tough
time finding one in Toronto, Comp had it for $49).

a couple questions:

- where are the game profiles? I was under the impression it installed some
default ones from the CD however my profiles directory is blank.

- does anyone know (or have) a fan site for this device that has profiles
already set-up? Looking at Belkin's site, there is not a lot (can't find the
first half-life, can't find American McGee's Alice or Clive Barker's
Undying, etc).

Many thanks!
!