Actress that does the voice of Alyx Vance website

"Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message
> James A. Cooley wrote:
>> She looks a bit like Alyx, too.
>>
>> http://www.merledandridge.com/index2.html
>>

> Poor woman, she's suffered for art on the stage, her guestbook has 1
> page of comments about than and 8 for HL2!

People that perform live love the attention they recieve when onstage.
So the attention she is getting for her work with HL2 can't be bad :)
McG.

"Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message
> James A. Cooley wrote:
>> She looks a bit like Alyx, too.
>>
>> http://www.merledandridge.com/index2.html
>>

> Poor woman, she's suffered for art on the stage, her guestbook has 1 page
> of comments about than and 8 for HL2!

Games are starting to make voice and character model actors and actresses
stars. Some of the people that do this type of work stay very busy and you
hear their work in multiple games. They are like the folks that did radio
and cartoon work. You may not realize all of the characters they do.

Hope she does a sequal or two. Hope they do a Half-Life movie and cast her
in it!

Jamie_Manic wrote:
> James A. Cooley wrote:
>
>> She looks a bit like Alyx, too.
>>
>> http://www.merledandridge.com/index2.html
>>

> Poor woman, she's suffered for art on the stage, her guestbook has 1
> page of comments about than and 8 for HL2!

I get the feeling that, as with Fantasy and SF, most actors come to
appreciate how mich the fans give, once the actor has gotten over the
initial "Oh it's a bunch of weirdo geeks" element.

James A. Cooley wrote:
> "Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message
>
>>James A. Cooley wrote:
>>
>>>She looks a bit like Alyx, too.
>>>
>>>http://www.merledandridge.com/index2.html
>>>

>>Poor woman, she's suffered for art on the stage, her guestbook has 1 page
>>of comments about than and 8 for HL2!
>

> Games are starting to make voice and character model actors and actresses
> stars. Some of the people that do this type of work stay very busy and you
> hear their work in multiple games. They are like the folks that did radio
> and cartoon work. You may not realize all of the characters they do.
>
> Hope she does a sequal or two. Hope they do a Half-Life movie and cast her
> in it!

Yup. People don't realize how important good voice acting is in a game, until
you compare one like HL2 against one where they went low-budget on it.
We've all played way too many games where we cringed to have to listen to
the NPC's! <grin> Hopefully the good voice actors will get a *lot* more work
in the coming New Years :)
-Marshall

"Marshall" <marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message
> James A. Cooley wrote:
>> "Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message

>>>Poor woman, she's suffered for art on the stage, her guestbook has 1 page
>>>of comments about than and 8 for HL2!
>>

>> Games are starting to make voice and character model actors and actresses
>> stars. Some of the people that do this type of work stay very busy and
>> you hear their work in multiple games. They are like the folks that did
>> radio and cartoon work. You may not realize all of the characters they
>> do.
>>
>> Hope she does a sequal or two. Hope they do a Half-Life movie and cast
>> her in it!
>
> Yup. People don't realize how important good voice acting is in a game,
> until
> you compare one like HL2 against one where they went low-budget on it.
> We've all played way too many games where we cringed to have to listen to
> the NPC's! <grin> Hopefully the good voice actors will get a *lot* more
> work
> in the coming New Years :)
> -Marshall

Agreed. One mark of a really good game is that they use good voice talent
for even the minor characters. Another small touch is to vary the voices of
the characters, so the same lines of dialog from the same actors are not
repeated constantly.

As much as I loved Deus Ex, some of the minor character voice work was
really bad. KOTOR also had scenes where each NPC said the same thing with
the same voice actor. The scene in the Shadowlands of the Wookie planet
where you had to talk three NPCs into disabling sonic shields comes to mind.
Each was obviously the same dialog clip recycled three times and it hurt the
immersion a bit.

Another minor gripe with KOTOR was multiple typos in the dialog boxes.
Proof-read! And if typos show up, patch them!

As great as HL2 is, they could have used a few more actors for minor
characters to give variety. For example, in the opening sequence it sounds
like the same actor voiced both NPCs on the train.

Little touches polish a game and variety in the NPC voices is one little
touch.

Overall, the voice work in HL2 is stellar. I give very high marks to Robert
Culp as Dr. Breen. What a great casting decision.

jay

Although I can't agree with this:

I couldn't agree more with this:
>>James A. Cooley wrote:
"I give very high marks to Robert Culp as Dr. Breen. What a great
casting decision."

Both his voice istself and his acting performance (voice wise), and his
script where so good, excellent!
Should you ever have a doubt about this just play Halo 1 again ;) (I
can't speak for H2). I did that a couple of days ago to test the video
card (remember?), and after playing HL2 I couldn't help but noticing so
much lack in diff areas, one of them is the above topic.

Jay

[Fitz]Tutenkamu{AGUT} wrote:
> Jamie_Manic wrote:
> > James A. Cooley wrote:
> >
> >> She looks a bit like Alyx, too.
> >>
> >> http://www.merledandridge.com/index2.html
> >>

> > Poor woman, she's suffered for art on the stage, her guestbook has
1
> > page of comments about than and 8 for HL2!
>
> I get the feeling that, as with Fantasy and SF, most actors come to
> appreciate how mich the fans give, once the actor has gotten over the

> initial "Oh it's a bunch of weirdo geeks" element.

It's beats waiting tables. (i.e. the money's probably decent for the
work involved). As long as the group is harmless and not stalking her
I'm sure she's pleased.

Jay wrote:

> Although I can't agree with this:

> I couldn't agree more with this:
> >>James A. Cooley wrote:
> "I give very high marks to Robert Culp as Dr. Breen. What a great
> casting decision."
>
> Both his voice istself and his acting performance (voice wise), and his
> script where so good, excellent!
> Should you ever have a doubt about this just play Halo 1 again ;) (I
> can't speak for H2). I did that a couple of days ago to test the video
> card (remember?), and after playing HL2 I couldn't help but noticing so
> much lack in diff areas, one of them is the above topic.

I remember the tedious voice acting that featured in Freelancer.. I
gotta say it really didn't help the "open" part of the game to have to
listen to exactly the same scripting from every single NPC throughout
the entire game..

"so whats up.. you some kinda nooby?" "uhh yeah" "ok, here i got
something for ya"

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

rcohen wrote:
> [Fitz]Tutenkamu{AGUT} wrote:
>
>>Jamie_Manic wrote:
>>
>>>James A. Cooley wrote:
>>>page of comments about than and 8 for HL2!
>>
>>I get the feeling that, as with Fantasy and SF, most actors come to
>>appreciate how mich the fans give, once the actor has gotten over the
>

>>initial "Oh it's a bunch of weirdo geeks" element.
>

> It's beats waiting tables. (i.e. the money's probably decent for the
> work involved). As long as the group is harmless and not stalking her
> I'm sure she's pleased.

It wasn't stalking fs, I was just looking after her!!