XP client hot joing NT Domain.

We have a NT based Domain, recently a user brought her XP professional system
and when we tried to join it to the domain, we get an error message that the
domain does not exist or is not found. BUT we can ping any system and we can
access any system in the network and acces its files, but the system just
won't join the domain.

I suspected any firewall problem but nothing is enabled anywhere.

Somebody please advice!

"Ananth" <Ananth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a NT based Domain, recently a user brought her XP professional
> system
> and when we tried to join it to the domain, we get an error message that
> the
> domain does not exist or is not found. BUT we can ping any system and we
> can
> access any system in the network and acces its files, but the system just
> won't join the domain.
>
> I suspected any firewall problem but nothing is enabled anywhere.
>
> Somebody please advice!

Is the system configured to use your domain's DNS server?

See http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/dns/tshoot/dns_tshoot2A.asp

"Ananth" <Ananth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a NT based Domain, recently a user brought her XP professional
> system
> and when we tried to join it to the domain, we get an error message that
> the
> domain does not exist or is not found. BUT we can ping any system and we
> can
> access any system in the network and acces its files, but the system just
> won't join the domain.
>
> I suspected any firewall problem but nothing is enabled anywhere.
>
> Somebody please advice!

OK I re-read your msg and see that its an NT domain so DNS isn't a big issue
(sorry... bedtime)

But does the system have the proper WINS server configured in its settings?
Does (should) it get this from your dhcp?

More info...
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prcf_omn_wbog.asp

Is TCP/IP the standard networking protocol in your NT domain?
Do you have WINS Servers or broadcast enabled routers (assuming IP multiple
subnets)?

Downlevel clients (NT, Win 9x) and NT domains work with WINS and not DNS,
whereas Win 2000 and XP function with DNS primarily.

If your NT domain is named "NT_DOMAIN", try add any entry in the
%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts file on the XP clients

e.g.
10.0.0.1 PDCNAME #PRE #DOM:NT_DOMAIN
10.0.0.1 "NT_DOMAIN \0x1b" #PRE

Run nbtstat -R to purge and reload NetBIOS cache and attempt again.

More info:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314108

If you have more XP clients, it would be worthwhile to consider WINS in your
setup.

Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!

Ananth wrote:
> We have a NT based Domain, recently a user brought her XP professional system
> and when we tried to join it to the domain, we get an error message that the
> domain does not exist or is not found. BUT we can ping any system and we can
> access any system in the network and acces its files, but the system just
> won't join the domain.
>
> I suspected any firewall problem but nothing is enabled anywhere.
>
> Somebody please advice!

Windows NT 4.0 SP6a Is Recommended for Windows XP Clients
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q313384

Windows XP Client Cannot Log On to a Windows NT 4.0 Domain
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q318266

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: