Is this card fried?

Hi...

I am using an ATI 9800 Pro 128 mb video ram. I have had the card for about
6 months. I am using it with dual displays: an Apple Cinema and as the
secondary a SyncMaster 1200NF. Drivers: Catalyst 4.1. Windows XP Home,
Intel 2.? ghz chip, 512 mb main ram.

This morning I turned on the computer, opened a program and saw 1 pixel
vertical stripes down BOTH SCREENS. Stripes worsen if I move program windows
around. If I move a window over to the secondary monitor, stripes (pixel
lines) follow along an reside on both monitors.

Is this vid card fried?

Would appreciate any experience, thoughts on this!

Thanks,

kristin

ps: using surge protector, units turned off during periods of non-use...ie
overnight.
7 answers Last reply
More about card fried

    Sounds like it. Same happened to my 9700 Pro 3 weeks ago, first it was green
    stripes, then red. Did some tests, and failed them. Went and got a 9800 Pro
    extra cooling fans.

    Doug

    "Doug" <ozonegom@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Sounds like it. Same happened to my 9700 Pro 3 weeks ago, first it was
    green
    > stripes, then red. Did some tests, and failed them. Went and got a 9800
    Pro
    > extra cooling fans.
    >
    > Doug

    Doug..What tests did you do? Was your card still under warranty? How many
    fans do you have in your case now?

    thanks,

    kris

    I used PC Doctor, and 3D Mark, was never able to get very far along in the
    tests, would get test end, unable to procede..........
    Also after opening the case to see if the fan was working, or the card was
    loose, I found my answer, 1-2 inches from the card, I felt extreme heat. And
    the fan was working.

    So, right there I went out and bought the 9800 Pro which was on sale at
    Fry's. The 9700 was not under warranty. Have a fan outside blowing in, and
    one inside blowing out.

    Also, the card was not over clocked. Factory settings.

    > "Doug" <ozonegom@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > Sounds like it. Same happened to my 9700 Pro 3 weeks ago, first it was
    > green
    > > stripes, then red. Did some tests, and failed them. Went and got a 9800
    > Pro
    > > extra cooling fans.
    > >
    > > Doug
    >

    > Doug..What tests did you do? Was your card still under warranty? How many
    > fans do you have in your case now?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > kris

    Odd that the problem only starts when you open an application. Suspect video memory corruption
    caused by software, not heating... does it do it with any application? What happens if you boot in
    safe mode and then open the same applicaiton?

    Are you using some sort of overclocker utility? You sometimes see this when the overclock config
    is corrupted, in which case you need to prevent it running at startup. You may have eliminated this
    by removing the overclock, but you need to stop the overclocker loading at all or reset its config
    to prevent any corruption. I had a problem similar to what you describe (and still do occasionally)
    and its always down to corrupt config in Powerstrip.

    Outside chance that it may be that something else in the computer is failing slowly and causing
    noise on the PSU. The fact that the problem only starts when you get major activity (application
    starting) may point to this... Possible culprits are fans (test this by turning the sound volume
    high on your speakers and see if you can hear any interference when you open a CDROM door or
    something similar), a HD or the PSU itself.

    HTH

    "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
    > Odd that the problem only starts when you open an application. Suspect
    video memory corruption
    > caused by software, not heating... does it do it with any application?
    What happens if you boot in
    > safe mode and then open the same applicaiton?
    >
    > Are you using some sort of overclocker utility? You sometimes see this
    when the overclock config
    > is corrupted, in which case you need to prevent it running at startup.
    You may have eliminated this
    > by removing the overclock, but you need to stop the overclocker loading at
    all or reset its config
    > to prevent any corruption. I had a problem similar to what you describe
    (and still do occasionally)
    > and its always down to corrupt config in Powerstrip.
    >
    > Outside chance that it may be that something else in the computer is
    failing slowly and causing
    > noise on the PSU. The fact that the problem only starts when you get major
    activity (application
    > starting) may point to this... Possible culprits are fans (test this by
    turning the sound volume
    > high on your speakers and see if you can hear any interference when you
    open a CDROM door or
    > something similar), a HD or the PSU itself.
    >

    > HTH

    Actually the problem happens ANYTIME ANYTHING is MOVED on the desktop and
    the desktop has to be re-drawn...for instance if I r-click on the
    desktop...those pixel wide lines appear on either side of the options box
    that opens.

    This system is a dual boot system..the alternate OS is rarely used; I opened
    it up today on the chance that my drivers were corrupted...but no luck..same
    blue lines on that OS.

    Are attachments allowed on this list..I could send a screen shot...

    I cranked up the volume..and opened the cd-rom door..did not hear anything
    unusual..don't really know what to be listening for.. When I check the power
    supply on the Intel Active Monitor there are 5 gauges...all well within the
    "green"..

    thanks,

    kristin

    "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
    > Odd that the problem only starts when you open an application. Suspect
    video memory corruption
    > caused by software, not heating... does it do it with any application?
    What happens if you boot in
    > safe mode and then open the same applicaiton?
    >
    > Are you using some sort of overclocker utility? You sometimes see this
    when the overclock config
    > is corrupted, in which case you need to prevent it running at startup.
    You may have eliminated this
    > by removing the overclock, but you need to stop the overclocker loading at
    all or reset its config
    > to prevent any corruption. I had a problem similar to what you describe
    (and still do occasionally)
    > and its always down to corrupt config in Powerstrip.
    >
    > Outside chance that it may be that something else in the computer is
    failing slowly and causing
    > noise on the PSU. The fact that the problem only starts when you get major
    activity (application
    > starting) may point to this... Possible culprits are fans (test this by
    turning the sound volume
    > high on your speakers and see if you can hear any interference when you
    open a CDROM door or
    > something similar), a HD or the PSU itself.
    >

    > HTH

    PS...No overclocking whatsoever...4x AGP as that is what my motherboard
    supports. kris

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 20:26:50 GMT, "Kristin" <khrysalis@earthlink.net>
    wrote:

    >PS...No overclocking whatsoever...4x AGP as that is what my motherboard
    >supports. kris

    Overclocking in the sense of graphics card speed (in MHz)

    --

    Julian Richards
    computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

    XP Home
    L7S7A2 motherboard
    Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines 438/364 with Omega drivers
    1 GB RAM
    10 GB + 80 GB HDs
    CD+DVD/CDRW drives

Radeon ATI Graphics