Is this card fried?

Hi...

I am using an ATI 9800 Pro 128 mb video ram. I have had the card for about
6 months. I am using it with dual displays: an Apple Cinema and as the
secondary a SyncMaster 1200NF. Drivers: Catalyst 4.1. Windows XP Home,
Intel 2.? ghz chip, 512 mb main ram.

This morning I turned on the computer, opened a program and saw 1 pixel
vertical stripes down BOTH SCREENS. Stripes worsen if I move program windows
around. If I move a window over to the secondary monitor, stripes (pixel
lines) follow along an reside on both monitors.

Is this vid card fried?

Would appreciate any experience, thoughts on this!

Thanks,

kristin

ps: using surge protector, units turned off during periods of non-use...ie
overnight.

Sounds like it. Same happened to my 9700 Pro 3 weeks ago, first it was green
stripes, then red. Did some tests, and failed them. Went and got a 9800 Pro
extra cooling fans.

Doug

"Doug" <ozonegom@cox.net> wrote in message
> Sounds like it. Same happened to my 9700 Pro 3 weeks ago, first it was
green
> stripes, then red. Did some tests, and failed them. Went and got a 9800
Pro
> extra cooling fans.
>
> Doug

Doug..What tests did you do? Was your card still under warranty? How many
fans do you have in your case now?

thanks,

kris

I used PC Doctor, and 3D Mark, was never able to get very far along in the
tests, would get test end, unable to procede..........
Also after opening the case to see if the fan was working, or the card was
loose, I found my answer, 1-2 inches from the card, I felt extreme heat. And
the fan was working.

So, right there I went out and bought the 9800 Pro which was on sale at
Fry's. The 9700 was not under warranty. Have a fan outside blowing in, and
one inside blowing out.

Also, the card was not over clocked. Factory settings.

> "Doug" <ozonegom@cox.net> wrote in message
> > Sounds like it. Same happened to my 9700 Pro 3 weeks ago, first it was
> green
> > stripes, then red. Did some tests, and failed them. Went and got a 9800
> Pro
> > extra cooling fans.
> >
> > Doug
>

> Doug..What tests did you do? Was your card still under warranty? How many
> fans do you have in your case now?
>
> thanks,
>
> kris

Odd that the problem only starts when you open an application. Suspect video memory corruption
caused by software, not heating... does it do it with any application? What happens if you boot in
safe mode and then open the same applicaiton?

Are you using some sort of overclocker utility? You sometimes see this when the overclock config
is corrupted, in which case you need to prevent it running at startup. You may have eliminated this
by removing the overclock, but you need to stop the overclocker loading at all or reset its config
to prevent any corruption. I had a problem similar to what you describe (and still do occasionally)
and its always down to corrupt config in Powerstrip.

Outside chance that it may be that something else in the computer is failing slowly and causing
noise on the PSU. The fact that the problem only starts when you get major activity (application
starting) may point to this... Possible culprits are fans (test this by turning the sound volume
high on your speakers and see if you can hear any interference when you open a CDROM door or
something similar), a HD or the PSU itself.

HTH

"Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
> Odd that the problem only starts when you open an application. Suspect
video memory corruption
> caused by software, not heating... does it do it with any application?
What happens if you boot in
> safe mode and then open the same applicaiton?
>
> Are you using some sort of overclocker utility? You sometimes see this
when the overclock config
> is corrupted, in which case you need to prevent it running at startup.
You may have eliminated this
> by removing the overclock, but you need to stop the overclocker loading at
all or reset its config
> to prevent any corruption. I had a problem similar to what you describe
(and still do occasionally)
> and its always down to corrupt config in Powerstrip.
>
> Outside chance that it may be that something else in the computer is
failing slowly and causing
> noise on the PSU. The fact that the problem only starts when you get major
activity (application
> starting) may point to this... Possible culprits are fans (test this by
turning the sound volume
> high on your speakers and see if you can hear any interference when you
open a CDROM door or
> something similar), a HD or the PSU itself.
>

> HTH

Actually the problem happens ANYTIME ANYTHING is MOVED on the desktop and
the desktop has to be re-drawn...for instance if I r-click on the
desktop...those pixel wide lines appear on either side of the options box
that opens.

This system is a dual boot system..the alternate OS is rarely used; I opened
it up today on the chance that my drivers were corrupted...but no luck..same
blue lines on that OS.

Are attachments allowed on this list..I could send a screen shot...

I cranked up the volume..and opened the cd-rom door..did not hear anything
unusual..don't really know what to be listening for.. When I check the power
supply on the Intel Active Monitor there are 5 gauges...all well within the
"green"..

thanks,

kristin

"Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
> Odd that the problem only starts when you open an application. Suspect
video memory corruption
> caused by software, not heating... does it do it with any application?
What happens if you boot in
> safe mode and then open the same applicaiton?
>
> Are you using some sort of overclocker utility? You sometimes see this
when the overclock config
> is corrupted, in which case you need to prevent it running at startup.
You may have eliminated this
> by removing the overclock, but you need to stop the overclocker loading at
all or reset its config
> to prevent any corruption. I had a problem similar to what you describe
(and still do occasionally)
> and its always down to corrupt config in Powerstrip.
>
> Outside chance that it may be that something else in the computer is
failing slowly and causing
> noise on the PSU. The fact that the problem only starts when you get major
activity (application
> starting) may point to this... Possible culprits are fans (test this by
turning the sound volume
> high on your speakers and see if you can hear any interference when you
open a CDROM door or
> something similar), a HD or the PSU itself.
>

> HTH

PS...No overclocking whatsoever...4x AGP as that is what my motherboard
supports. kris

On Fri, 21 May 2004 20:26:50 GMT, "Kristin" <khrysalis@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>PS...No overclocking whatsoever...4x AGP as that is what my motherboard
>supports. kris

Overclocking in the sense of graphics card speed (in MHz)

--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

XP Home
L7S7A2 motherboard
Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines 438/364 with Omega drivers
1 GB RAM
10 GB + 80 GB HDs
CD+DVD/CDRW drives