monitor question

im using a 10year old dell monitor at the momment,not sure what the
dotpitch or the refresh rate is,its just listed as a plug and play in
the panel and it only has two video modes,800x600 and 1024x768.im
wondering will this affect performance in gaming framerate wise,or
would a newer monitor really improve the overall performance?
8 answers Last reply
More about monitor question

    sam unwise wrote:
    > im using a 10year old dell monitor at the momment,not sure what the
    > dotpitch or the refresh rate is,its just listed as a plug and play in
    > the panel and it only has two video modes,800x600 and 1024x768.im
    > wondering will this affect performance in gaming framerate wise,or
    > would a newer monitor really improve the overall performance?

    The monitor won't impact performance, of itself. What the monitor will
    impact is visual quality. The video adapter can and will impact
    performance. 10 year old Dell. Is it a 14"?
    Gee. Haven't used one of that size in many years. A bigger screen will
    very likely improve overall enjoyment of the system. Say, a 19" flat
    square CTR monitor. CRT for sake of expense.
    McG.

    In article <58798d39.0405211701.2f9cde74@posting.google.com>,
    datrooper@hotmail.com says...
    > im using a 10year old dell monitor at the momment,not sure what the
    > dotpitch or the refresh rate is,its just listed as a plug and play in
    > the panel and it only has two video modes,800x600 and 1024x768.im
    > wondering will this affect performance in gaming framerate wise,or
    > would a newer monitor really improve the overall performance?

    Only image quality.

    --
    Conor

    Give a man a fire and you keep him warm for a night. Set him on fire
    and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

    On 5/21/2004 6:50 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

    >sam unwise wrote:
    >

    >>im using a 10year old dell monitor at the momment,not sure what the
    >>dotpitch or the refresh rate is,its just listed as a plug and play in
    >>the panel and it only has two video modes,800x600 and 1024x768.im
    >>wondering will this affect performance in gaming framerate wise,or
    >>would a newer monitor really improve the overall performance?
    >>

    >The monitor won't impact performance, of itself. What the monitor will
    >impact is visual quality. The video adapter can and will impact
    >performance. 10 year old Dell. Is it a 14"?
    >Gee. Haven't used one of that size in many years. A bigger screen will
    >very likely improve overall enjoyment of the system. Say, a 19" flat
    >square CTR monitor. CRT for sake of expense.
    >McG.

    Did you get your X800 yet?

    --
    "I'm not made of money, we'll swim to Oakland"

    Steve [Inglo]

    Inglo wrote:
    > On 5/21/2004 6:50 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
    >
    >> sam unwise wrote:
    >>

    >>> im using a 10year old dell monitor at the momment,not sure what the
    >>> dotpitch or the refresh rate is,its just listed as a plug and play
    >>> in the panel and it only has two video modes,800x600 and 1024x768.im
    >>> wondering will this affect performance in gaming framerate wise,or
    >>> would a newer monitor really improve the overall performance?
    >>>

    >> The monitor won't impact performance, of itself. What the monitor
    >> will impact is visual quality. The video adapter can and will
    >> impact performance. 10 year old Dell. Is it a 14"?
    >> Gee. Haven't used one of that size in many years. A bigger screen
    >> will very likely improve overall enjoyment of the system. Say, a
    >> 19" flat square CTR monitor. CRT for sake of expense.
    >> McG.
    >>

    > Did you get your X800 yet?
    >
    > --
    > "I'm not made of money, we'll swim to Oakland"
    >
    > Steve [Inglo]

    Hi Steve,
    Nope. Still looking. I did get a 9800 Pro 128 to hold me over a bit
    tho ;)
    McG.

    sam unwise wrote:
    > im using a 10year old dell monitor at the momment,not sure what the
    > dotpitch or the refresh rate is,its just listed as a plug and play in
    > the panel and it only has two video modes,800x600 and 1024x768.

    That sounds like a bad monitor to me.

    > im
    > wondering will this affect performance in gaming framerate wise,or
    > would a newer monitor really improve the overall performance?

    Er... not really. Certainly not noticeably.

    The only way it could affect performance is if you are waiting for vertical
    synch. Refresh rate will be a minimum of 60, which means that frame rate
    will be a minimum of >30 frames per second. Which is enough to not be
    noticeable.

    However, low refresh rates and old monitors results in a not very nice
    experience when you're sitting 18" from it and looking at it intensely. I
    would recommend a new 17" CRT at a minimum, it will greatly increase your
    viewing pleasure.

    There are approximately 3 things that you use to interact with your
    computer... it always amazes me that these are the three things people won't
    spend money on, and don't upgrade.

    Ben

    My sons birthday is June 7. I spoke with him about it, told him what I
    did, why, and would he be interested in the FX. He forgot all about
    his toothache and the new home he and his wife are moving into...for
    about a minute ;)
    It's in the bag it came in for now :)
    McG.
    ps- I bought and installed Far Cry yesterday. And the valerie model.
    So, how do you change to 3rd person view for screenshots? I was
    thinking it was F1, but nope, that does nothing.

    Running it with most goodies on highest, a couple on high (game won't
    start otherwise), and in 1280x1024-32 of course. I expected crawling
    slow choppiness. I got smooth nice and WOW! :)

    Even Giants don't blatantly insult each other. Yet enough polite hints
    and subtle but strong action exist I could have seen what was going on,
    yet stayed in denial about it for a long time. The FX series are stock
    clocked at higher 'safe' rates. They get hot too. This 9800 Pro
    doesn't get hot. So far. It's a few inches shorter than the 8500,
    Ti4600, FX5900. Those 3 are all the same size. This one is the same
    size as the Asus V6800 (GF1 DDR). has about the same size fan with a
    very well cut and planned aluminum heatsink. It makes no noise. The
    board is *red* :) The thing is fast! :) It's a 'Revision F' card.
    ATi and the bios info say it was made January 2004. I think it's a .13m
    die and seems that ATi will continue this particular version for some
    time. Heh, as a middle of the line part :)!!! Even the ATi site lists
    this card for $249. That's pretty good considering what it sold for a
    year ago.

    Dr Richard Cranium wrote:
    > what did you do with your nvidia ?

    holding it for my son :) He has a AGP 8X mobo (Athlon, Barton 2500+,
    half gig PC3200) and only a Ti4600. He'd love to see what DX9 looks
    like and at 8X at that.
    McG.

    > ** no fate **
    >
    > dracman

    >> Hi Steve,
    >> Nope. Still looking. I did get a 9800 Pro 128 to hold me over a bit
    >> tho ;)
    >> McG.

    > -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

    Right, been discovering all this and a bit more. I took a long look at
    the .lua files, the game.cfg, etc. I think the problem is in there.
    While in evmode, the FN keys do work. I also see what you're saying
    about the Valerie model not doing all the anims. I bound PRTSCN to
    screenshot, and it works :) F1 suddenly started working too, for switch
    view. DevMode. That's right.
    Wow, played myself plumb out. I'll reply to this tomorrow while I can
    think!
    McG.

    Dr Richard Cranium wrote:
    > i think the prob with .lua is that .lua is assuming that the game
    > maps the Function keys properly and the game isn't mapping the keys
    > correctly, so when .lua maps (re-maps) you get stinko for several
    > function keys.
    > I tried a couple of things with .lua and just finally figured i could
    > use the "[""]" keys and have the game work just fine.

    The file, game.cfg, seems to have all the bindings and a lot of
    definitions in it. It's like 10K so there's a lot of 'dry' reading to
    do in that. I have a new 'devmap.lua' set up. The people that figured
    out the cheats gave me some ideas, and this is all in script that is
    likely to be very familiar to you as well as me :) It uses the same
    simple conventions for syntax that M$ Scripting/QuickBasic uses. Hey,
    it works right? Heh! Simple loops too. I was so tired last night
    after sitting here playing Far Cry for several hours on end that I
    didn't even catch that about the key bindings in one messing up the
    bindings made in the other. Many things just don't work in 'regular'
    mode. But with devmode enabled, you can create and save bindings from
    the console.

    It's a beauty of a game Dracman! :) I was blown away by the sheer
    volume of what HAVE to be meshes and models. I found an explanation
    from one of the CryTeams lead people. POLYBUMP. Heh, new word eh?
    What they are actually doing in their development at CryTek is creating
    the giant models/meshes, then making a low poly version of same, then
    using the lightmap for the giant on the small, and they say it looks
    much better this way and there is barely even a mesh. There's more to
    this but that seems to be the ghist. Amazing huh? I too cranked
    everything up, I set the Machine Class to Very High and now I'm going
    WOW! Damn look at the detail! Hey, it's time for me to get that
    800FSB 3.2 P4 I think!!! The 2.66 I have now is 533. With the fsb at
    800, the PC3200 will then go from 333 to 400. Then, the only room for
    growth will be the x800!

    This is the only one of the DX9 games to slow this rig down any at all
    when I max out everything. And, it's still playable, just have to
    remember to use zoom sparingly ;)

    > I thought about using PrtScn, however; i didn't wish to print out an
    > ATI 9800pro 1280x1024 super coloured screen snap to my HP 970Cse
    > heh. anyway glad you got it going. neat game huh. I would venture
    > a guess ATI has the pixel shader just right ! And with the x800 even
    > better ? TO bad all you need for this fab game of Far Cry is the ATI
    > 9800pro. I haven't heard anybody else check in here with such
    > astonishing results.

    I'm wondering about why nobody else is talking about how stunning Far
    Cry CAN look on the 9800 Pro myself! I went back into AoD and find
    there is room for tweaking settings even there. Oh, PRTSCN gives me the
    ATi 9800Pro 1280x1024 screens as .JPG in the Far Cry folder. Hey, and
    if it DOES send a shot to your HP you can remap the key after the one
    shot right? :)

    The Valerie model. It doesn't have the 'V' (prone) position. It barely
    hunkers down at all when crouch is pressed. BUT, it's also the only
    female model for the game so far. It's just that the Valerie model
    wasn't given the anims, isn't expected to do everything the other models
    do.

    I want a RL for the damn 4 wheel car!!! I haven't found a RL to pick up
    yet, found a sniper rifle in the third map after I sniped a guy with the
    M16 :) This rifle I LIKE! :o)) Nice Scope :) The physics in some
    ways are TOO much. Like when in the prone position, slung in tight
    (they put a sling on weapons for stability primarily, carrying it is
    second!), the only movement you will have is from your heartbeat. You
    have eliminated breath movement transferred to the weapon by being
    'tight' into the weapon and by having 3 points of support on the ground.
    Heartbeat translates to slight vertical 'hiccups', you learn to squeeze
    off on the down side of that movement while exhaling slowly. You can
    achieve near the same stability in kneeling position. You will never
    get that in standing or offhand :) BUT, even the guys in the
    development team that were Prior Service Army aren't likely to know that
    stuff. Unless they went to the Marines Sniper School ;o) That's ok,
    since I am stealthing my a** off, I can take all the time I need to set
    up the shot. I find that I might move around a couple of times just to
    get the 'sight picture' I need to be sure of the shot. I choose
    carefully which merc to hit, because they'll all be lookin for me as
    soon as their buddy drops. They need more rounds for that rifle!!!
    It's a GOOD implementation of the Pauza .50! You can kill a jeep with
    it at half a mile :)
    And here's the funny part (for me): I could do without all the killing
    actually. There is so much to explore and try out, to see. [Gun
    mounts, bunkers, Jap airplanes, wrecked aircraft carrier! wild terrain]
    That alone would keep me busy for a long time just on the one island!
    I wonder if we will have vehicles in multiplayer??? IF we could bind
    the mouse X-axis to steering while in the vehicle, then cool, but it's
    bound to LOOK still. Hmmm. I think that's actually do-able! Gee, we
    could have races!!! Hah! And think of Co-op, two together as a sniper
    team, use TeamSpeak2, one with binocs, other with the rifle...woooooo!
    ;)

    Heh... sorry I got carried away, I'm just a 'little' excited about this
    game :) and my New Radeon 9800 Pro! :o)) Yeah...now I'm wishing I'd
    never let the first one slip thru my fingers. The Pro 256 meg for the
    same price as the FX5900 128, and I kept the FX. Oh well, live and
    learn, right? At least I DID get the smallest, quietest, and coolest
    running 9800 Pro, the one on .13m die :) {it HAS to be, no other way to
    explain it!}
    McG.

> [...]
    >>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraider1/tombraider1midaspics.htm
    >>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm
    >>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm
    >>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/medipak.htm
    >>>
    >>> **savegame editors all versions Tomb Raider & TRAOD godmode
    >>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tr2code.htm
    >>>
    >>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm
    >>>
    >>> ** Win2k and winXP hi-res with TR1
    >>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/glidos.htm
    >>>
    >>> ** Tomb Raider 1 add on UB levels
    >>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm#Tova
    >>>
    >>> ** GTA III vice City Character MOD
    >>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm#gta3

    >>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
    >>> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

    > -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

Radeon Performance Monitors Graphics