XP workgroup password nightmare

Tags:
  • Domain
  • Windows XP
January 14, 2005 7:36:47 PM

I have a xp pro client which is usually connected to a local domain. I have
removed the log-on to the domain & configured the pc to log on to a
workgroup instead. However, the user name & password I entered when changing
to the workgroup (in system properties/computer name/change) is not being
recognised & I cannot log in!!! NIGHTMARE

Even the admin password is not recognised. I suspect the pc is defaulting to
an old user name/password combination from when it was on a workgroup in the
past. I have had similar experiences previously with the same thing - but in
all other instances I have figured out the old passwords.

How do I re-join the domain - remember, i cannot log in to change this in
the usual manner.

Regards

Fec

More about : workgroup password nightmare

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 7:36:48 PM

Fec wrote:
> I have a xp pro client which is usually connected to a local domain. I have
> removed the log-on to the domain & configured the pc to log on to a
> workgroup instead. However, the user name & password I entered when changing
> to the workgroup (in system properties/computer name/change) is not being
> recognised & I cannot log in!!! NIGHTMARE
>
> Even the admin password is not recognised. I suspect the pc is defaulting to
> an old user name/password combination from when it was on a workgroup in the
> past. I have had similar experiences previously with the same thing - but in
> all other instances I have figured out the old passwords.
>
> How do I re-join the domain - remember, i cannot log in to change this in
> the usual manner.
>
> Regards
>
> Fec

By changing the computer from the domain to a workgroup, you
destroyed the trust between the domain and the computer. In doing so,
you have also rendered any domain login credentials as invalid. You
need to be physically connected to the domain network, you need to have
administrative privileges to the client computer (Use the built-in
Administrator account), and you need to have administrative privileges
on the domain. Then you can add the machine back on to the domain,
after having first deleted the computer's old domain account (unless
you've also renamed the computer).

Contact your IT department or your network administrator (I can't
help but conclude that such exists, or the computer would not have been
a member of a domain) for repairs.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 7:57:30 PM

"Fec" <fec@fec.com> wrote in message
>I have a xp pro client which is usually connected to a local domain. I have
>removed the log-on to the domain & configured the pc to log on to a
>workgroup instead. However, the user name & password I entered when
>changing to the workgroup (in system properties/computer name/change) is
>not being recognised & I cannot log in!!! NIGHTMARE
>
> Even the admin password is not recognised. I suspect the pc is defaulting
> to an old user name/password combination from when it was on a workgroup
> in the past. I have had similar experiences previously with the same
> thing - but in all other instances I have figured out the old passwords.
>
> How do I re-join the domain - remember, i cannot log in to change this in
> the usual manner.

When you left the domain the old logins you used to use that were from that
domain are no longer valid.
The only accounts that are valid on this machine are the ones that exist
locally - such as the Administrator account whose password was set at
install time and may never have been changed since. (There may also be other
local accounts that were created before this machine joined the domain).

You need to find the password for one of these local accounts to logon and
then rejoin the domain (you will require a domain\account that has the
relevant permissions to join a machine to the domain to do this).

There are commercial third party tools that claim to be able to reset a
local Administrator password - use your favourite search engine to locate
these products.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Fec" <fec@fec.com> wrote in message
>I have a xp pro client which is usually connected to a local domain. I have
>removed the log-on to the domain & configured the pc to log on to a
>workgroup instead. However, the user name & password I entered when
>changing to the workgroup (in system properties/computer name/change) is
>not being recognised & I cannot log in!!! NIGHTMARE
>
> Even the admin password is not recognised. I suspect the pc is defaulting
> to an old user name/password combination from when it was on a workgroup
> in the past. I have had similar experiences previously with the same
> thing - but in all other instances I have figured out the old passwords.
>
> How do I re-join the domain - remember, i cannot log in to change this in
> the usual manner.
>
> Regards
>
> Fec

January 17, 2005 11:25:53 AM

Thanks for the reply

I know what you are saying - the problem is I cannot log in to the pc to
change it back to joining the domain - as I don't have the password!! I am
the IT department - but the administrator's password is only valid on a
domain - I don't have the admin password for the local pc - this is my
problem - CATCH 22!!

Fec
> Fec wrote:
>> I have a xp pro client which is usually connected to a local domain. I
>> have removed the log-on to the domain & configured the pc to log on to a
>> workgroup instead. However, the user name & password I entered when
>> changing to the workgroup (in system properties/computer name/change) is
>> not being recognised & I cannot log in!!! NIGHTMARE
>>
>> Even the admin password is not recognised. I suspect the pc is defaulting
>> to an old user name/password combination from when it was on a workgroup
>> in the past. I have had similar experiences previously with the same
>> thing - but in all other instances I have figured out the old passwords.
>>
>> How do I re-join the domain - remember, i cannot log in to change this in
>> the usual manner.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Fec
>

> By changing the computer from the domain to a workgroup, you destroyed
> the trust between the domain and the computer. In doing so, you have also
> rendered any domain login credentials as invalid. You need to be
> physically connected to the domain network, you need to have
> administrative privileges to the client computer (Use the built-in
> Administrator account), and you need to have administrative privileges on
> the domain. Then you can add the machine back on to the domain, after
> having first deleted the computer's old domain account (unless you've also
> renamed the computer).
>
> Contact your IT department or your network administrator (I can't help
> but conclude that such exists, or the computer would not have been a
> member of a domain) for repairs.
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 12:18:44 PM

see my reply to you 3 days ago for options to get into your PC.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

> Thanks for the reply
>
> I know what you are saying - the problem is I cannot log in to the pc to
> change it back to joining the domain - as I don't have the password!! I am
> the IT department - but the administrator's password is only valid on a
> domain - I don't have the admin password for the local pc - this is my
> problem - CATCH 22!!
>
> Fec
> "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message
>> Fec wrote:
>>> I have a xp pro client which is usually connected to a local domain. I
>>> have removed the log-on to the domain & configured the pc to log on to a
>>> workgroup instead. However, the user name & password I entered when
>>> changing to the workgroup (in system properties/computer name/change) is
>>> not being recognised & I cannot log in!!! NIGHTMARE
>>>
>>> Even the admin password is not recognised. I suspect the pc is
>>> defaulting to an old user name/password combination from when it was on
>>> a workgroup in the past. I have had similar experiences previously with
>>> the same thing - but in all other instances I have figured out the old
>>> passwords.
>>>
>>> How do I re-join the domain - remember, i cannot log in to change this
>>> in the usual manner.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Fec
>>

>> By changing the computer from the domain to a workgroup, you
>> destroyed the trust between the domain and the computer. In doing so,
>> you have also rendered any domain login credentials as invalid. You need
>> to be physically connected to the domain network, you need to have
>> administrative privileges to the client computer (Use the built-in
>> Administrator account), and you need to have administrative privileges on
>> the domain. Then you can add the machine back on to the domain, after
>> having first deleted the computer's old domain account (unless you've
>> also renamed the computer).
>>
>> Contact your IT department or your network administrator (I can't
>> help but conclude that such exists, or the computer would not have been a
>> member of a domain) for repairs.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>> both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 4:49:39 PM

Fec wrote:

> Thanks for the reply
>
> I know what you are saying - the problem is I cannot log in to the pc to
> change it back to joining the domain - as I don't have the password!! I am
> the IT department - but the administrator's password is only valid on a
> domain - I don't have the admin password for the local pc - this is my
> problem - CATCH 22!!
Hi

You might try to reset the local Administrator password with one
of the methods mentioned here:

http://securityadmin.info/noframes/faqget.asp#password

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.ht...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: