Problem setting directory read/hide attributes...

It seems I have a fairly simple problem on my hands. I am attempting to
adjust the read/write options for a directory I have created in my root
directory (C:\>). The directory is currently marker as "read only" in the
properties dialog box created by left clicking on the directory icon in
windows explorer. When I uncheck the "read only" box and click apply (to all
subdirectories and files) then click ok, reopen and view the properties
window again for that directory, the box is rechecked. I have a feeling this
may have something to do with my administrator settings, but I'm not sure how
to access them correctly. Any pointers would be much appreciated! Thanks in
advance... :)

-Aman With Tiedhands
1 answer Last reply
More about problem setting directory read hide attributes

    Read-only means nothing for folders...

    [[Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a
    folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories,
    and other programs.]]

    Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B326549

    ===

    The gray state means...

    [[Microsoft calls this a tri-mode flag. When it has gray in the background,
    it indicates that some file or folder anywhere under that particular folder
    has been set to Read-only.

    This checkmark does not actually control the Read-only attribute on the
    child files and folder. It just displays their status.]]

    Rally 'Round the Tri-Mode Flag
    http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=652

    If you uncheck the Read-Only attribute, Windows will prompt you to confirm
    your changes.

    -----
    You have chosen to make the following attribute change(s):

    unset read-only

    Do you want to apply this change to this folder only, or do you want to
    apply it to all subfolders and files as well?
    -----

    Click the option that you want, and then click OK.
    ---

    Basically this means nothing for folders.

    [[Windows Explorer uses the Read-Only attribute to determine whether or not
    the folder is customized.]]
    Unable to Remove Read-Only Attribute from Folder

    You can't remove the read-only attribute from a folder?
    http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBG/TIP3200/rh3212.htm

    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:70938FA1-4E8C-47E0-8696-8E9E56D15C95@microsoft.com,
    AmanWithTieadhands <AmanWithTieadhands@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    pecked:
    > It seems I have a fairly simple problem on my hands. I am attempting
    > to adjust the read/write options for a directory I have created in my
    > root directory (C:\>). The directory is currently marker as "read
    > only" in the properties dialog box created by left clicking on the
    > directory icon in windows explorer. When I uncheck the "read only"
    > box and click apply (to all subdirectories and files) then click ok,
    > reopen and view the properties window again for that directory, the
    > box is rechecked. I have a feeling this may have something to do
    > with my administrator settings, but I'm not sure how to access them
    > correctly. Any pointers would be much appreciated! Thanks in
    > advance... :)
    >
    > -Aman With Tiedhands

Read Only Windows XP