KennyG

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005

Hi,

I'm in the process of reinstalling XP Home Edition due to viruses. I'm
prompted to install the SP1 CD. I do not have it. I do have an SP2 CD. Can
I bypass using SP1 or does the install need to be a progression?
Also, where can I download SP1 if I need to use it? The microsoft sites
only reference SP1a.

Rgds,
Ken

jay

KennyG,

The SP2 CD also includes all the updates from the SP1 CD, so there's no need
to install them in progression. When prompted for the SP1 CD, load the SP2
CD, and the system should also detect the updates there from the SP1 CD. I
don't know where you can get that first CD, but you don't need it anyways.

Jay.

KennyG wrote:

> I'm in the process of reinstalling XP Home Edition due to viruses.
> I'm prompted to install the SP1 CD. I do not have it. I do have an
> SP2 CD. Can I bypass using SP1 or does the install need to be a
> progression? Also, where can I download SP1 if I need to use it?
> The microsoft sites only reference SP1a.

You don't need to install SP1 first. You can simply go right to SP2.
I'm sort of mystified when you talk about being prompted to install the
SP1 CD. Are you sure it's not just referring to your XP Home Edition
install CD?

For example, the Windows XP Home Edition CD that belongs to my wife's
computer is labeled Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1a.

BTW - Do take care to make sure that machine is physically disconnected
from the internet while you do your install, and make sure you have a
hardware router/firewall, or a software firewall installed before
connecting it to do your windows updates. Otherwise you may find
yourself reinfected with various worms in short order.

SP2 -
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.aspx

I believe at this point in time you can simply grab it from windows
update, as that article suggests.

--
J. S. Jackson

KennyG

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005

Thanks for you help...Microsoft als confirmed that you can bypass SP1 since
it is included in SP2. Also, apparently the problem went beyond just getting
past the SP1 prompt...I had to contact Compaq and they gave me a file to
erase the hard disk and then proceed with formatting the hard disk and then
doing the clean XP install.

Thx again...Ken

"J. S. Jackson" wrote:

> KennyG wrote:
>
> > I'm in the process of reinstalling XP Home Edition due to viruses.
> > I'm prompted to install the SP1 CD. I do not have it. I do have an
> > SP2 CD. Can I bypass using SP1 or does the install need to be a
> > progression? Also, where can I download SP1 if I need to use it?
> > The microsoft sites only reference SP1a.
>
> You don't need to install SP1 first. You can simply go right to SP2.
> I'm sort of mystified when you talk about being prompted to install the
> SP1 CD. Are you sure it's not just referring to your XP Home Edition
> install CD?
>
> For example, the Windows XP Home Edition CD that belongs to my wife's
> computer is labeled Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1a.
>
> BTW - Do take care to make sure that machine is physically disconnected
> from the internet while you do your install, and make sure you have a
> hardware router/firewall, or a software firewall installed before
> connecting it to do your windows updates. Otherwise you may find
> yourself reinfected with various worms in short order.
>
> SP2 -
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.aspx
>
> I believe at this point in time you can simply grab it from windows
> update, as that article suggests.
>
> --
> J. S. Jackson

KennyG

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005

Thanks...you're right...

"Jay" wrote:

> KennyG,
>
> The SP2 CD also includes all the updates from the SP1 CD, so there's no need
> to install them in progression. When prompted for the SP1 CD, load the SP2
> CD, and the system should also detect the updates there from the SP1 CD. I
> don't know where you can get that first CD, but you don't need it anyways.
>
> Jay.
>
> KennyG" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm in the process of reinstalling XP Home Edition due to viruses. I'm
> > prompted to install the SP1 CD. I do not have it. I do have an SP2 CD. Can
> > I bypass using SP1 or does the install need to be a progression?
> > Also, where can I download SP1 if I need to use it? The microsoft sites
> > only reference SP1a.
> >
> > Rgds,
> > Ken

TRENDING THREADS