Fast user switching in domain environment

We have several users using the same workstation (XP Professional) and we
have security policy that locks the workstation after 10 minutes inactivity.
This causes problem when user forget to log off. I know about fast user
switching, but as far as I know this is not available when connected to a
domain (we use W2003)? Anyone know if there a solution to this?
/Patrik
4 answers Last reply
More about fast user switching domain environment

    Fast User Switching is not available on Windows XP Professional-based
    computers that are part of a domain network.

    Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279765

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Patrik" wrote:

    | We have several users using the same workstation (XP Professional) and we
    | have security policy that locks the workstation after 10 minutes inactivity.
    | This causes problem when user forget to log off. I know about fast user
    | switching, but as far as I know this is not available when connected to a
    | domain (we use W2003)? Anyone know if there a solution to this?
    | /Patrik

    Thanks Carey. Do you (or someone else) know if there is something similar
    when part of a network? Or can this be solved in any other way?
    /Patrik

    In article <CDC81708-6E82-4813-863B-C730B1DFF480@microsoft.com>,
    Patrik@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > We have several users using the same workstation (XP Professional) and we
    > have security policy that locks the workstation after 10 minutes inactivity.
    > This causes problem when user forget to log off. I know about fast user
    > switching, but as far as I know this is not available when connected to a
    > domain (we use W2003)? Anyone know if there a solution to this?
    > /Patrik

    We do this in medical offices - the nurses and reception types share the
    same computer and always leave the station locked when they walk away.
    We use the WINEXIT screen saver from the NT resource kit and force all
    workstations to use it through GPO. The WINEXIT screen saver will start
    based on the screen saver delay, then gives 30 seconds warning before it
    logs them out.

    Search for WinExit screen saver.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Patrik wrote:

    > We have several users using the same workstation (XP Professional) and we
    > have security policy that locks the workstation after 10 minutes inactivity.
    > This causes problem when user forget to log off. I know about fast user
    > switching, but as far as I know this is not available when connected to a
    > domain (we use W2003)? Anyone know if there a solution to this?
    > /Patrik
    Hi

    Fast user switching is not supported for domain environments.

    A couple of options for you:

    1)
    Use a logout screen saver:

    Winexit.scr in the free Win2k3 Server RK kit (will work on
    Win2k and WinXP at least).

    Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en

    (The kit will install on WinXP or later and you can copy only
    needed files to other computers)

    If the users are non-admins on the local computer you must add Set Value and
    Create Subkey permissions for the group Everyone on this registry key:
    HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion

    How can I use the WinExit screen saver without granting Admin rights?
    http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBC/tip1100/rh1179.htm

    Logoff Screen Saver Does Not Function in Windows NT
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;156677

    2)
    Another option is to create a scheduled job on each computer that logs
    the user off after a set amount of idle time:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=3FB6E343.FB3AE435@hydro.com

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Security Workstations Domain Windows XP