Fast user switching in domain environment

January 15, 2005 3:37:02 AM

We have several users using the same workstation (XP Professional) and we
have security policy that locks the workstation after 10 minutes inactivity.
This causes problem when user forget to log off. I know about fast user
switching, but as far as I know this is not available when connected to a
domain (we use W2003)? Anyone know if there a solution to this?
/Patrik
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 15, 2005 10:40:44 AM

Fast User Switching is not available on Windows XP Professional-based
computers that are part of a domain network.

Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279765

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Patrik" wrote:

| We have several users using the same workstation (XP Professional) and we
| have security policy that locks the workstation after 10 minutes inactivity.
| This causes problem when user forget to log off. I know about fast user
| switching, but as far as I know this is not available when connected to a
| domain (we use W2003)? Anyone know if there a solution to this?
| /Patrik
January 15, 2005 11:01:02 AM

Thanks Carey. Do you (or someone else) know if there is something similar
when part of a network? Or can this be solved in any other way?
/Patrik

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Fast User Switching is not available on Windows XP Professional-based
> computers that are part of a domain network.
>
> Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279765
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> "Patrik" wrote:
>
> | We have several users using the same workstation (XP Professional) and we
> | have security policy that locks the workstation after 10 minutes inactivity.
> | This causes problem when user forget to log off. I know about fast user
> | switching, but as far as I know this is not available when connected to a
> | domain (we use W2003)? Anyone know if there a solution to this?
> | /Patrik

a b 8 Security
January 15, 2005 9:04:49 PM

In article <CDC81708-6E82-4813-863B-C730B1DFF480@microsoft.com>,
Patrik@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> We have several users using the same workstation (XP Professional) and we
> have security policy that locks the workstation after 10 minutes inactivity.
> This causes problem when user forget to log off. I know about fast user
> switching, but as far as I know this is not available when connected to a
> domain (we use W2003)? Anyone know if there a solution to this?
> /Patrik

We do this in medical offices - the nurses and reception types share the
same computer and always leave the station locked when they walk away.
We use the WINEXIT screen saver from the NT resource kit and force all
workstations to use it through GPO. The WINEXIT screen saver will start
based on the screen saver delay, then gives 30 seconds warning before it
logs them out.

Search for WinExit screen saver.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 15, 2005 10:13:19 PM

Patrik wrote:

> We have several users using the same workstation (XP Professional) and we
> have security policy that locks the workstation after 10 minutes inactivity.
> This causes problem when user forget to log off. I know about fast user
> switching, but as far as I know this is not available when connected to a
> domain (we use W2003)? Anyone know if there a solution to this?
> /Patrik
Hi

Fast user switching is not supported for domain environments.

A couple of options for you:

1)
Use a logout screen saver:

Winexit.scr in the free Win2k3 Server RK kit (will work on
Win2k and WinXP at least).

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools

(The kit will install on WinXP or later and you can copy only
needed files to other computers)

If the users are non-admins on the local computer you must add Set Value and
Create Subkey permissions for the group Everyone on this registry key:
HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion

How can I use the WinExit screen saver without granting Admin rights?
http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBC/tip1100/rh1179.htm

Logoff Screen Saver Does Not Function in Windows NT
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;156677

2)
Another option is to create a scheduled job on each computer that logs
the user off after a set amount of idle time:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=3FB6E343.FB3AE43...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: