Repair or Start Over after partition vanished

Hi,

After logging in today, I discovered that a partition had vanished. (I set the partition up to store documents separately from application files.)
Loss of a small amount data (not yet backed up) on the missing partition is inconvenient, but not a disaster.

I am concerned about spending the time to repair the hard drive (through use of the Windows 7 installation disk), and then having this problem recur.

Here are the questions:

1. Beside the Windows Installation disk and its repair utilities, do you know of / can you point me toward any reliable utilities I could use to make repairs?

2. Should I just "cleanse" the drive and start from scratch?

3. While I am at it, are there any steps I should take that would prevent the vanishing partition problem in the future?

Thanks in advance.
6 answers Last reply
More about repair start partition vanished
  1. Thats odd, never heard of a vanishing partition!?

You can always run the command "chkdsk /x" on the drive that's giving you the problem. also what did you use to create the partition in the first place?
  2. install software Advanced Sytem Optimizer a: www.systweak.com/aso
    fix your problem registry, Scandisk,

U must have Hiren CDBOOT : www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
    best sof Getd ataback, Partition tool
  3. r_pad said:
    Thats odd, never heard of a vanishing partition!?

You can always run the command "chkdsk /x" on the drive that's giving you the problem. also what did you use to create the partition in the first place?

I've never experienced a lost partition in the past, so this is a mystery to me. I set the partition up using Windows 7 64bit Professional Edition Disk Management. That involved shrinking the C: partition on the drive and adding a new one. By the way, when I view the disk properties on the drive, the C: partition and the system reserved area do not fill the entire available disk capacity. Anyway, I did apply the chkdisk system tool available in Computer Management - no errors were identified, nor did that fix the problem.

Mostly what I am looking for here is whether I should be concerned about the vanishing partition problem occuring in the future, best practices (if any) to prevent it OR is this simply a one time fluke that I should get past and forget about?

Thanks for your thoughts.
  4. You didn't say how many partitions are shown in Disk Managment and if only one is there any unallocated space. Also how big was this partition.
  5. Jonmor68 said:
    You didn't say how many partitions are shown in Disk Managment and if only one is there any unallocated space. Also how big was this partition.

In Disk Management:

When all was well, the 320 GB Disk was: 100mb System Reserved, C: 140 GB, E: 150 GB

After things went south, the 320 GB Disk was: 100mb System Reserved, C: 140 GB. No unallocated space.
  6. hello tomyrandom

did your pc happen to hang on a reboot at the verifying dmi pool data?

i recently had that problem for over a week and never did actually figure out what the problem was, its been fixed but i never found out why or what happened.

what i was able to find out is that all my hard drives (4 at the time of the problem) had their mbr and partition tables vanish. i used spotmau to recover most data and fix them a couple of times but it kept happening.

even at one point with a new motherboard and new hard drive connected started a fresh install and everything went good till the final install reboot and had the same problem.

to solve the problem i had to connect an ide drive to my pc and i don't know why. at that point i was able to get windows disc management able to copy the info from the drives giving me problems to a freshly reformatted and repartitioned drive.

after coping the data and i reformed all the other drives that kept having problems and used windows disc management to mirror my drives so i hopefully would not have his problem again.

i've since taken the drives with problems reformatted and partitioned them and used them in other pc's as the os boot drive, before a reformat wouldn't fully work and allow windows to be installed on them but by repartitioning them and formatting them i could then use them to install the os on it for another pc.

but as mentioned i never did find out what caused it, i am suspicious it was the new motherboards software i installed. i installed gigabyte software and it wanted a reboot and that's when all my problems restarted.

i hope this helps some.
Ask a new question

Read More

Login Partition Hard Drives Windows 7