  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 23, 2004 7:13:59 PM

Hello all.

I installed my new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Hercules 3D Prophet) graphics
card recently and I've been having a few problems with it. AFAIK
everything is fine when using normal apps, but when I play 3D games my
system will freeze after about 30 minutes. I thought this might be an
overheating problem, but I'm not sure now. I don't know whether I need
a new graphics card, motherboard, power supply or what? Here's my
system spec and what I've tried so far...

CPU: Athlon 2400XP @ 2GHz
MB: PC Chips M848A (Rev: 2.1) (SIS chipset)
RAM: 512 Mb (2100)
OS: XP with SP1
450 W PSU QTEC

Other Stuff:
1 DVD Writer
1 CD-ROM
60 Gb HD
80 Gb HD
3 Case Fans

ATI Drivers:
Catalyst 4.5

When my system freezes I usually need to reset my PC. Sometimes I get
an error message and I can get back to the desktop, in which case my
screen updates become very slow. According to the error message my
graphics card has stopped responding, and the graphics is handled in
software.

The first thing I tried was updating my drivers. I got the latest 9800
Pro drivers (Catalyst 4.5) and the latest chipset drivers for my
motherboard (from SIS). This made no difference, after about 30
minutes of gaming my system froze again.

Because of the 30 minutes before the crash, I though I might have an
overheating problem. To check this I removed one side of my PC case
and moved a case fan to help circulate the air near the 9800 Pro. If
overheating was the problem, I'd expect this to solve it, or at least
provide me with more than 30 minutes of use. But this time the system
froze after 7 minutes! That was from a cold start, so I guess
temperature isn't the problem?

The next thing I thought about was my power supply. My PSU is a 450W
QTEC, and it had been running my old system for a few months. My
previous graphics card was a GF4 Ti (AGP 8x), and I never had any
problems with it. I was hoping my upgrade to the 9800 Pro would just
be simple swap, but it's not turing out like that. I know the 9800 Pro
cards are power hungry, but I think 450W should be enough to handle
it? To check this I installed Motherboard Monitor 5, and the results
were, erm, odd. Here they are:

Line Voltage/V
=======================
CPU 1.65
+2.5 2.54
+3.3 2.49 to 2.59
+5.00 3.31 to 4.45
+12.00 4.65 to 10.21
-12.00 -2.58 to -8.71
-5.00 0

These readings show the range over a 30 minute interval. The readings
are so bad that I dismissed them as being nonsense. In case the load
of the 9800 Pro was somehow causing these fluctuations, I reinstalled
my old GF4 and repeated the measurements - they were the same (more or
less). Since Motherboard Monitor 5 is supposed to be compatible with
my motherboard (well, it appears in the list) I reckon that my
motherboard is probably just lying about the voltages. I checked my
PSU in a friend's PC (MSI motherboard) and the voltages are all right;
the only deviations were the +5.00 V line which read about 5.11 V, and
the +12.00 V line which read about 11.60 V.

So does this mean that my motherboard is faulty? I haven't updated my
BIOS yet because I don't like changing that unless I really have to.
Could updating my BIOS solve my problem? Or at least solve the strange
(and presumably wrong) readings from Motherboard Monitor 5?

More recently I tried reducing my AGP speed from 8x to 4x, and I
played a game for nearly 2 hours without any problems. I concluded
that it might be a problem that affects only AGP 8x. That said, my
previous graphics card used AGP 8x and that was fine - so that'd
suggest a problem with the 9800 Pro, or a compatibility problem
between the 9800 Pro and my SIS chipset? Anyway, I then switched back
to AGP 8x expecting my PC to crash after 30 minutes, but it didn't. It
crashed after 1 hour and 15 minutes! I concluded that my previous
conclusion was premature. Although I haven't had a system freeze while
in AGP 4x mode, I'm not convinced it won't happen (yet). I will stay
in AGP 4x mode for now to see what happens.

BTW, has anyone got a 9800 Pro working with a PC Chips M848A (rev
2.1)?

Now, I know the obvious conclusion is that my 9800 Pro card is faulty!
But is there a way I can be sure? The fact that the games work for 30
minutes or so shows that something must be OK.

I'm not sure what to try next. I'd begrudgingly buy another
motherboard to get things working, but I don't want to do it unless I
know it will fix things!

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions they could offer? I could
do with some expert advice!

Cheers.

More about : 9800 pro feezes games

May 24, 2004 3:51:09 AM

"Fish" <Meesta_Fish@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> to AGP 8x expecting my PC to crash after 30 minutes, but it didn't. It
> crashed after 1 hour and 15 minutes! I concluded that my previous
> conclusion was premature. Although I haven't had a system freeze while
> in AGP 4x mode, I'm not convinced it won't happen (yet). I will stay
> in AGP 4x mode for now to see what happens.
>
> BTW, has anyone got a 9800 Pro working with a PC Chips M848A (rev
> 2.1)?
>
> Now, I know the obvious conclusion is that my 9800 Pro card is faulty!
> But is there a way I can be sure? The fact that the games work for 30
> minutes or so shows that something must be OK.
>
> I'm not sure what to try next. I'd begrudgingly buy another
> motherboard to get things working, but I don't want to do it unless I
> know it will fix things!
>
> Does anyone have any insight or suggestions they could offer? I could

You may be overdriving the RAM. I suggest you try with it set synchronously
with the system clock and use SPD timing to see if this is the case. I am
not AMD-savvy but this is how I fixed my P4 which acted similarly.
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 4:09:55 AM

Did you uninstall all of your nvidia drivers wirthdriver cleaner?

> [...]
> to AGP 8x expecting my PC to crash after 30 minutes, but it didn't. It
> crashed after 1 hour and 15 minutes! I concluded that my previous
> conclusion was premature. Although I haven't had a system freeze while
> in AGP 4x mode, I'm not convinced it won't happen (yet). I will stay
> in AGP 4x mode for now to see what happens.
>
> BTW, has anyone got a 9800 Pro working with a PC Chips M848A (rev
> 2.1)?
>
> Now, I know the obvious conclusion is that my 9800 Pro card is faulty!
> But is there a way I can be sure? The fact that the games work for 30
> minutes or so shows that something must be OK.
>
> I'm not sure what to try next. I'd begrudgingly buy another
> motherboard to get things working, but I don't want to do it unless I
> know it will fix things!
>
> Does anyone have any insight or suggestions they could offer? I could

Related resources
May 24, 2004 4:40:08 AM

> The next thing I thought about was my power supply. My PSU is a 450W
> QTEC, and it had been running my old system for a few months. My
> previous graphics card was a GF4 Ti (AGP 8x), and I never had any
> problems with it. I was hoping my upgrade to the 9800 Pro would just
> be simple swap, but it's not turing out like that. I know the 9800 Pro
> cards are power hungry, but I think 450W should be enough to handle
> it? To check this I installed Motherboard Monitor 5, and the results
> were, erm, odd. Here they are:
>
> Line Voltage/V
> =======================
> CPU 1.65
> +2.5 2.54
> +3.3 2.49 to 2.59
> +5.00 3.31 to 4.45
> +12.00 4.65 to 10.21
> -12.00 -2.58 to -8.71
> -5.00 0
>
> These readings show the range over a 30 minute interval. The readings
> are so bad that I dismissed them as being nonsense. In case the load
> of the 9800 Pro was somehow causing these fluctuations, I reinstalled
> my old GF4 and repeated the measurements - they were the same (more or
> less).

I have a Qtec 550, and I suffer the same problem. In the research I have
done it basically shows that QTEC PSU's are dire and are the cause of our
problems.
--
Victoria Concordia Crescit
Anonymous

"KerplunKuK" <kerplunk@greenday.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> The next thing I thought about was my power supply. My PSU is a 450W
>> QTEC, and it had been running my old system for a few months. My
>> previous graphics card was a GF4 Ti (AGP 8x), and I never had any
>> problems with it. I was hoping my upgrade to the 9800 Pro would just
>> be simple swap, but it's not turing out like that. I know the 9800 Pro
>> cards are power hungry, but I think 450W should be enough to handle
>> it? To check this I installed Motherboard Monitor 5, and the results
>> were, erm, odd. Here they are:
>>
>> Line Voltage/V
>> =======================
>> CPU 1.65
>> +2.5 2.54
>> +3.3 2.49 to 2.59
>> +5.00 3.31 to 4.45
>> +12.00 4.65 to 10.21
>> -12.00 -2.58 to -8.71
>> -5.00 0
>>
>> These readings show the range over a 30 minute interval. The readings
>> are so bad that I dismissed them as being nonsense. In case the load
>> of the 9800 Pro was somehow causing these fluctuations, I reinstalled
>> my old GF4 and repeated the measurements - they were the same (more or
>> less).
>
> I have a Qtec 550, and I suffer the same problem. In the research I have
> done it basically shows that QTEC PSU's are dire and are the cause of our
> problems.
> --
> Victoria Concordia Crescit

I have a 9600 pro. I have crashes when I overclock. I have so far
associated them with heat. But, I am curious about your findings. May be,
I have the same problem.
How does the 30-minute delay fit in the equation if the problem is the power
supply?
Thanks
May 24, 2004 9:19:33 AM

No, I've never heard of it. Can not doing so cause problems with ATI cards?

"COCA COLA KID" <BUBBLEHEADPT@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message news:<lAesc.7894$tb4.335119@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> Did you uninstall all of your nvidia drivers wirthdriver cleaner?
May 24, 2004 9:34:37 AM

"Navid" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:<tsbsc.72215$jU.4094588@twister.southeast.rr.com>...
> "KerplunKuK" <kerplunk@greenday.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> ...but I think 450W should be enough to handle
> >> it? To check this I installed Motherboard Monitor 5, and the results
> >> were, erm, odd. Here they are:
> >>
> >> Line Voltage/V
> >> =======================
> >> CPU 1.65
> >> +2.5 2.54
> >> +3.3 2.49 to 2.59
> >> +5.00 3.31 to 4.45
> >> +12.00 4.65 to 10.21
> >> -12.00 -2.58 to -8.71
> >> -5.00 0
> >>
> >> These readings show the range over a 30 minute interval. The readings
> >> are so bad that I dismissed them as being nonsense. In case the load
> >> of the 9800 Pro was somehow causing these fluctuations, I reinstalled
> >> my old GF4 and repeated the measurements - they were the same (more or
> >> less).
> >
> > I have a Qtec 550, and I suffer the same problem. In the research I have
> > done it basically shows that QTEC PSU's are dire and are the cause of our
> > problems.
> > --
> > Victoria Concordia Crescit
>
> I have a 9600 pro. I have crashes when I overclock. I have so far
> associated them with heat. But, I am curious about your findings. May be,
> I have the same problem.
> How does the 30-minute delay fit in the equation if the problem is the power
> supply?
> Thanks

It doesn't, it fits in with the various delays before the crash
occurs. Unless Motherboard Monitor is lying, my voltages are far from
correct, and they appear to change randomly. If this is true, I'm
guessing that it's only a matter of time before the voltages hit a
certain combination that my 9800 Pro doesn't like, causing it to
crash. This "matter of time" is usually 30 minutes, but it has also
been 45 minutes, 7 minutes, and 1 hour 15 minutes.

I can check whether my PSU is really a problem by replacing it with my
friend's PSU, which reports rock-steady voltages on his PC when using
Motherboard Monitor. If, when in my PC, Motherboard Monitor reports
steady voltages then I'll know that Motherboard Monitor is working
with my Motherboard, and that the voltages I posted earlier are
correct. If this is the case then my PSU is almost definitely the
problem (or one of them). If not, then something may be wrong with my
motherboard (or it's just not compatible with Motherboard Monitor).
But I won't know until I do this test - I'll post my results here,
probably in a day or two.
May 24, 2004 11:07:52 AM

"JB" <highlinex@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<c8s61602qc9@enews1.newsguy.com>...
> "Fish" <Meesta_Fish@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all.
> >
> > I installed my new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Hercules 3D Prophet) graphics
>

> You may be overdriving the RAM. I suggest you try with it set synchronously
> with the system clock and use SPD timing to see if this is the case. I am
> not AMD-savvy but this is how I fixed my P4 which acted similarly.

I've never really considered it to be a RAM problem - at least not the
system RAM. I'm not AMD-savvy either, but I'll give this a try if
someone explains to me how to do it?
May 24, 2004 9:12:13 PM

<SNIP>

>> These readings show the range over a 30 minute interval. The readings
>> are so bad that I dismissed them as being nonsense. In case the load
>> of the 9800 Pro was somehow causing these fluctuations, I reinstalled
>> my old GF4 and repeated the measurements - they were the same (more
>> or less).
>
> I have a Qtec 550, and I suffer the same problem. In the research I
> have done it basically shows that QTEC PSU's are dire and are the
> cause of our problems.

Strange, I've had a Qtec 550w for over 18 months and it's never given a
kick. Maybe they started cheaping out on them?

If your PSU is giving such wide fluctuations, you should ask for a
replacement.

Martin
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 12:56:55 AM

Dr Richard Cranium wrote:
> [...]
>> are so bad that I dismissed them as being nonsense. In case the load
>> of the 9800 Pro was somehow causing these fluctuations, I reinstalled
>> my old GF4 and repeated the measurements - they were the same (more
>> or less). Since Motherboard Monitor 5 is supposed to be compatible
>> with my motherboard (well, it appears in the list) I reckon that my
>> motherboard is probably just lying about the voltages. I checked my
>> PSU in a friend's PC (MSI motherboard) and the voltages are all
>> right; the only deviations were the +5.00 V line which read about
>> 5.11 V, and the +12.00 V line which read about 11.60 V.
>>
>> So does this mean that my motherboard is faulty? I haven't updated my
>> BIOS yet because I don't like changing that unless I really have to.
>> Could updating my BIOS solve my problem? Or at least solve the
>> strange (and presumably wrong) readings from Motherboard Monitor 5?

You tested the power supply in another machine,and voltages were good,
meaning +/- 12V was right around 12V? Either your WinBOND chip is
flaking out (not so likely) or your motherboard is doing what my
GA8-iHXP motherboard did. The onboard voltage regulators went bad for
AGP/PCI buses. It was going bad for weeks too. I thought it was the
video card. It wasn't. I was and am using an Antec TruPower 430W. New
motherboard, had to get new ram for it too. Everything else I just
pulled out of the old, put in the new mobo. All is fine. One thing you
can do to see if MBM5 and/or the WinBond chip isn't right, is go into
your BIOS at boot, then into System health, and see what the voltages
and temps are in there.

The power supply doesn't output 3.3v or 1.5v. You have voltage
regulator IC's (3 pin, look like med power SCR's or power transistors,
but are actually more complex IC's) for each voltage needed, and for
both - and +. In your list, the -5v regulator shows to be dead. Not
surprising. The mobo has to produce 1.5v+ and - at about 3 amps just
for the AGP slot. If the regulator IC flakes out, so does your video.
There is no thermal sensor in these of course. They're just a 3 pin
package with tabbed back for a heat sink.
Here is a PDF file with some pics in it of what these things look like.
You will likely find heat sinks attached to them. OR the tab can be
bolted to the mobo, or something else.
http://www.softwaredynamix.com/robotics/pdf/ARAA_2002_1...
You're likely to have more than a dozen of them on your motherboard, one
for each needed voltage.
Do you have a fave computer shop that can check this stuff out with you?
HIH!
McG.

>> More recently I tried reducing my AGP speed from 8x to 4x, and I
>> played a game for nearly 2 hours without any problems. I concluded
>> that it might be a problem that affects only AGP 8x. That said, my
>> previous graphics card used AGP 8x and that was fine - so that'd
>> suggest a problem with the 9800 Pro, or a compatibility problem
>> between the 9800 Pro and my SIS chipset? Anyway, I then switched back
>> to AGP 8x expecting my PC to crash after 30 minutes, but it didn't.
>> It crashed after 1 hour and 15 minutes! I concluded that my previous
>> conclusion was premature. Although I haven't had a system freeze
>> while in AGP 4x mode, I'm not convinced it won't happen (yet). I
>> will stay in AGP 4x mode for now to see what happens.
>>
>> BTW, has anyone got a 9800 Pro working with a PC Chips M848A (rev
>> 2.1)?
>>
>> Now, I know the obvious conclusion is that my 9800 Pro card is
>> faulty! But is there a way I can be sure? The fact that the games
>> work for 30 minutes or so shows that something must be OK.
>>
>> I'm not sure what to try next. I'd begrudgingly buy another
>> motherboard to get things working, but I don't want to do it unless I
>> know it will fix things!
>>
>> Does anyone have any insight or suggestions they could offer? I could
>> do with some expert advice!
>>

>> Cheers.

> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 2:24:37 AM

Fish wrote:

> I can check whether my PSU is really a problem by replacing it with my
> friend's PSU, which reports rock-steady voltages on his PC when using
> Motherboard Monitor. If, when in my PC, Motherboard Monitor reports
> steady voltages then I'll know that Motherboard Monitor is working
> with my Motherboard, and that the voltages I posted earlier are
> correct. If this is the case then my PSU is almost definitely the
> problem (or one of them). If not, then something may be wrong with my
> motherboard (or it's just not compatible with Motherboard Monitor).
> But I won't know until I do this test - I'll post my results here,
> probably in a day or two.

Good idea .. also try clocking your CPU at it's correct speed. PCChips
is not a good brand of motherboard btw o(

regards

@ndrew
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 2:24:38 AM

"@ndrew" wrote:

> Good idea .. also try clocking your CPU at it's correct speed. PCChips
> is not a good brand of motherboard btw o(

LOL! That's the understatement of the decade! I still vividly remember a
PCChips MB with two pieces of plastic glued to it, with proper memory
info on them, but no pins! That particular board also had a Asus BIOS.
Do they still market their boards under about 20 different names?
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 2:24:38 AM

@ndrew wrote:
> Fish wrote:
>

>> I can check whether my PSU is really a problem by replacing it with
>> my friend's PSU, which reports rock-steady voltages on his PC when
>> using Motherboard Monitor. If, when in my PC, Motherboard Monitor
>> reports steady voltages then I'll know that Motherboard Monitor is
>> working with my Motherboard, and that the voltages I posted earlier
>> are correct. If this is the case then my PSU is almost definitely the
>> problem (or one of them). If not, then something may be wrong with my
>> motherboard (or it's just not compatible with Motherboard Monitor).
>> But I won't know until I do this test - I'll post my results here,
>> probably in a day or two.
>

> Good idea .. also try clocking your CPU at it's correct speed.
> PCChips is not a good brand of motherboard btw o(
>
> regards
>
> @ndrew
The XP2400, it's a Barton, right? 1.8gHz is the correct speed?
McG.
May 25, 2004 4:35:24 AM

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Dmtsc.37966$KO2.4102@fe2.texas.rr.com>...
> @ndrew wrote:
> > Fish wrote:
> >

> > Good idea .. also try clocking your CPU at it's correct speed.
> > PCChips is not a good brand of motherboard btw o(
> >
> > regards
> >
> > @ndrew
> The XP2400, it's a Barton, right? 1.8gHz is the correct speed?
> McG.

It's a Thoroughbred.
May 25, 2004 5:38:55 AM

Thanks for the info, McGrandpa - very useful!

I will check the voltages given in the BIOS and report what I find.

I have a question regarding what you said about regulator ICs (just to
make sure I've understood it correctly):

When you say, "If the regulator IC flakes out, so does your video.
There is no thermal sensor in these...", do you mean that a rise in
temperature is causing the regulator ICs to fail (causing the crash,
and they're somehow restored on reboot)? or that they've already
failed (for whatever reason and can never be restored) and this is
causing my garbled voltages? I take it you mean the latter?

Here are the results of my PSU swapping and my intermediate
conclusions...

When I placed a known, working PSU (350 W) in my PC and used
Motherboard Monitor to measure the voltages, they were all incorrect
just as they were for my QTEC. This means that I have a Motherboard
problem. (For this test I removed some components from my PC so it
demanded a similar load to the PSU's normal PC, i.e. GF4, one HD, one
CD-RW, and no case fans.)

I moved my QTEC PSU to a friend's PC (again) but this time I also
moved the 9800 Pro as well. The voltages obtained were stable - the
same as the last time I moved it (with +12 V measured at +11.6 V). I
played a game without problems for over 2 hours (Jedi Academy for what
it's worth). However, due a limitation of the Motherboard I could use
only AGP 4x, and I haven't had that crash on my system (although I've
tried it only once).

So far then, I reckon my PSU is fine. Due to the large discrepancies
in the times before my PC freezes, I reckon that overheating is not
the problem either. This leaves the 9800 Pro and the Motherboard.
Given that the games work for a while, i.e. the 9800 Pro is
functioning, and the info given by McGrandpa, I reckon my Motherboard
is the problem. However, if it is the Motherboard, then why didn't I
see problems with my GF4? I suppose my Motherboard could have started
having problems after I installed the 9800 Pro, and I haven't used the
GF4 since then. Or maybe the 9800 Pro is just more sensitive to
voltage fluctuations than the GF4? Maybe I should try the GF4 again?

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my post - your help is much
appreciated.

I will report my progress here, and any other useful stuff I find out
along the way.

Cheers.

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message news:<rktsc.37964$KO2.37837@fe2.texas.rr.com>...

> You tested the power supply in another machine,and voltages were good,
> meaning +/- 12V was right around 12V? Either your WinBOND chip is
> flaking out (not so likely) or your motherboard is doing what my
> GA8-iHXP motherboard did. The onboard voltage regulators went bad for
> AGP/PCI buses. It was going bad for weeks too. I thought it was the
> video card. It wasn't. I was and am using an Antec TruPower 430W. New
> motherboard, had to get new ram for it too. Everything else I just
> pulled out of the old, put in the new mobo. All is fine. One thing you
> can do to see if MBM5 and/or the WinBond chip isn't right, is go into
> your BIOS at boot, then into System health, and see what the voltages
> and temps are in there.
>
> The power supply doesn't output 3.3v or 1.5v. You have voltage
> regulator IC's (3 pin, look like med power SCR's or power transistors,
> but are actually more complex IC's) for each voltage needed, and for
> both - and +. In your list, the -5v regulator shows to be dead. Not
> surprising. The mobo has to produce 1.5v+ and - at about 3 amps just
> for the AGP slot. If the regulator IC flakes out, so does your video.
> There is no thermal sensor in these of course. They're just a 3 pin
> package with tabbed back for a heat sink.
> Here is a PDF file with some pics in it of what these things look like.
> You will likely find heat sinks attached to them. OR the tab can be
> bolted to the mobo, or something else.
> http://www.softwaredynamix.com/robotics/pdf/ARAA_2002_1...
> You're likely to have more than a dozen of them on your motherboard, one
> for each needed voltage.
> Do you have a fave computer shop that can check this stuff out with you?
> HIH!
> McG.

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 10:14:25 AM

Martin wrote:

> Strange, I've had a Qtec 550w for over 18 months and it's never given
> a kick. Maybe they started cheaping out on them?

http://tinyurl.com/ytq47
regards
@ndrew
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 12:33:28 PM

McGrandpa wrote:

> The XP2400, it's a Barton, right? 1.8gHz is the correct speed?
> McG.

Correct and he is running it at 2Ghz.

regards

@ndrew
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 2:11:25 PM

@ndrew wrote:
> McGrandpa wrote:
>

>> The XP2400, it's a Barton, right? 1.8gHz is the correct speed?
>> McG.
>

> Correct and he is running it at 2Ghz.
>
> regards
>
> @ndrew

Um...my son has an XP2400 Barton, half gig of PC3200, Ti4600. He runs
it at 1.8gHz and no problems, he runs it at 2gHz and after a couple
minutes has problems. I suggest he run the system with everything at
stock clocks and see what happens. For a couple hours, or days.
McG.
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 2:43:14 PM

Fish wrote:
> Thanks for the info, McGrandpa - very useful!
>
> I will check the voltages given in the BIOS and report what I find.
>
> I have a question regarding what you said about regulator ICs (just to
> make sure I've understood it correctly):
>
> When you say, "If the regulator IC flakes out, so does your video.
> There is no thermal sensor in these...", do you mean that a rise in
> temperature is causing the regulator ICs to fail (causing the crash,
> and they're somehow restored on reboot)? or that they've already
> failed (for whatever reason and can never be restored) and this is
> causing my garbled voltages? I take it you mean the latter?

I do mean that something would have failed inside the 3 pin Regulator
IC, and the device might be semi operable when load and temperature is
low, then the heat causes expansion and seperation of some element
inside, and it is then non operating. Yes, the latter :)  It can go
from current condition to worse. It won't get better on its own. More
than one appear to be affected.
For whatever reason; a component type was selected for specific values
in its output range. In order to have more current available at a
particular voltage, two or more are placed in parallel on that power
circuit. The mobo mfgrs engineers determine how much load is going to
be placed on the bus they're providing power for, and they decide how
many of which per voltage to use. This is 'common' garden variety
stuff, most mobos are made this way. Gigabyte, ABit, Asus, Soyo, Intel
etc. do this. The component is actually the same common one you can buy
at Radio Shack for about a buck :)  Their problem is providing a
somewhat variable amount of current on demand while maintaining voltage
level.
Some of the buses simply cannot be loaded beyond specification. Many
newer AGP cards DO load the AGP bus beyond what they consider the
industrial standard. Gigabyte has had a number of returns from
'blowout' on first startup with newer AGP cards lately. Then, as with
what happened to mine, the blowout occured over time in which the bus is
loaded at full spec. This was about 10 months for mine. The IC's that
died simply cooked while being loaded at (I'm guessing) 105% rated load.
I still have that mobo, there is no doubt the 5v +/- regulator IC's
burned. If there are 3 on the circuit, and all 3 work fine, all is
well. If one flakes out, that increases the load on the other 2, and
they don't last long either.
If your are a GOOD electronics tech, you can isolate and replace the bad
regulators. Not too many people I know are that good :o \

> Here are the results of my PSU swapping and my intermediate
> conclusions...
>
> When I placed a known, working PSU (350 W) in my PC and used
> Motherboard Monitor to measure the voltages, they were all incorrect
> just as they were for my QTEC. This means that I have a Motherboard
> problem. (For this test I removed some components from my PC so it
> demanded a similar load to the PSU's normal PC, i.e. GF4, one HD, one
> CD-RW, and no case fans.)
>
> I moved my QTEC PSU to a friend's PC (again) but this time I also
> moved the 9800 Pro as well. The voltages obtained were stable - the
> same as the last time I moved it (with +12 V measured at +11.6 V). I
> played a game without problems for over 2 hours (Jedi Academy for what
> it's worth). However, due a limitation of the Motherboard I could use
> only AGP 4x, and I haven't had that crash on my system (although I've
> tried it only once).
>
> So far then, I reckon my PSU is fine. Due to the large discrepancies
> in the times before my PC freezes, I reckon that overheating is not
> the problem either. This leaves the 9800 Pro and the Motherboard.
> Given that the games work for a while, i.e. the 9800 Pro is
> functioning, and the info given by McGrandpa, I reckon my Motherboard
> is the problem. However, if it is the Motherboard, then why didn't I
> see problems with my GF4? I suppose my Motherboard could have started
> having problems after I installed the 9800 Pro, and I haven't used the
> GF4 since then. Or maybe the 9800 Pro is just more sensitive to
> voltage fluctuations than the GF4? Maybe I should try the GF4 again?

Good thinking and good testing! Look up the detailed specs on both
video cards and your motherboard. You're looking for the 'engineering
requirements', of voltages/current and variables for the AGP slot.
Your DX9 9800Pro will draw quite a bit more power while IN 3D modes than
the GF4. Which GF4 is it, btw?
My New 9800 Pro 128 seems to draw a lot LESS power than my 1 year old
FX5900 does. It's a smaller card, smaller heat sink and fan, and it
doesn't get hot, even when playing Far Cry with everything maxed out.
This is a happy surprise for me :)

> Thanks to everyone who has replied to my post - your help is much
> appreciated.
>
> I will report my progress here, and any other useful stuff I find out
> along the way.
>
> Cheers.

I just hope you can get it all sorted out without a lot of undue expense
and time spent without a stable system.

I've found that motherboard problems are often hard to troubleshoot, and
isolating whether it's video card or mobo or CPU or PSU can really be a
mess without other systems to try proving a part good/bad. I had to
rely on a local vendor for that, and he was very accomodating. So I of
course bought my new parts from him. And he blew a mobo the very first
time he tested my FX5900 in a new one. He tried my vid card and
processors in 3 diff mobos and combinations. Both card and cpu fine.
PSU fine. Ram was PC800 Rambus and I ended up with PC400 DDR non dual
channel. This ram tests to be slightly less bandwidth than the old
rambus. This ram will go faster when 800fsb is used :)
Another upgrade comin this summer then!!!
McG.

>> You tested the power supply in another machine,and voltages were
>> good, meaning +/- 12V was right around 12V? Either your WinBOND
>> chip is flaking out (not so likely) or your motherboard is doing
>> what my GA8-iHXP motherboard did. The onboard voltage regulators
>> went bad for AGP/PCI buses. It was going bad for weeks too. I
>> thought it was the video card. It wasn't. I was and am using an
>> Antec TruPower 430W. New motherboard, had to get new ram for it
>> too. Everything else I just pulled out of the old, put in the new
>> mobo. All is fine. One thing you can do to see if MBM5 and/or the
>> WinBond chip isn't right, is go into your BIOS at boot, then into
>> System health, and see what the voltages and temps are in there.
>>
>> The power supply doesn't output 3.3v or 1.5v. You have voltage
>> regulator IC's (3 pin, look like med power SCR's or power
>> transistors, but are actually more complex IC's) for each voltage
>> needed, and for both - and +. In your list, the -5v regulator
>> shows to be dead. Not surprising. The mobo has to produce 1.5v+
>> and - at about 3 amps just for the AGP slot. If the regulator IC
>> flakes out, so does your video. There is no thermal sensor in these
>> of course. They're just a 3 pin package with tabbed back for a heat
>> sink.
>> Here is a PDF file with some pics in it of what these things look
>> like. You will likely find heat sinks attached to them. OR the tab
>> can be bolted to the mobo, or something else.
>> http://www.softwaredynamix.com/robotics/pdf/ARAA_2002_1...
>> You're likely to have more than a dozen of them on your motherboard,
>> one for each needed voltage.
>> Do you have a fave computer shop that can check this stuff out with
>> you? HIH!
>> McG.
May 25, 2004 2:50:54 PM

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message news:<hZEsc.42929$KO2.32665@fe2.texas.rr.com>...
> @ndrew wrote:
> > McGrandpa wrote:
> >

> >> The XP2400, it's a Barton, right? 1.8gHz is the correct speed?
> >> McG.
> >

> > Correct and he is running it at 2Ghz.
> >
> > regards
> >
> > @ndrew
>
> Um...my son has an XP2400 Barton, half gig of PC3200, Ti4600. He runs
> it at 1.8gHz and no problems, he runs it at 2gHz and after a couple
> minutes has problems. I suggest he run the system with everything at
> stock clocks and see what happens. For a couple hours, or days.
> McG.

I think 2GHz is the correct speed for my Thoroughbred XP2400+? AFAIK
the Thoroughbred Processors run at a higher clock speed than the
similarly-named Barton Processors? (Although I could be wrong!)
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 9:21:00 PM

Fish wrote:

> > @ndrew wrote:
> > > Fish wrote:
> > >

> > > Good idea .. also try clocking your CPU at it's correct speed.
> > > PCChips is not a good brand of motherboard btw o(
> > >
> > > regards
> > >
> > > @ndrew
> > The XP2400, it's a Barton, right? 1.8gHz is the correct speed?
> > McG.
>
> It's a Thoroughbred.

If it is it is still overclocked.

regards

@ndrew
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 11:06:49 AM

Fish wrote:

> I think 2GHz is the correct speed for my Thoroughbred XP2400+? AFAIK
> the Thoroughbred Processors run at a higher clock speed than the
> similarly-named Barton Processors? (Although I could be wrong!)

You are right I was wrong.

regards

@ndrew
May 27, 2004 12:34:09 PM

Just a quick update.

I haven't been able to reproduce the problem with my GF4 (Ti 4200)
card at all, nor with my 9800 Pro when in AGP 4x mode.

Using the 9800 Pro in AGP 8x mode consistantly causes problems.

My BIOS reports the following voltages (I couldn't find any others)

1.61 V
2.54 V

I think the strange voltages reported by MBM5 suggest that my mobo
will probably blow up sooner or later, and may be causing the problems
when using AGP 8x - or that could just be an unrelated problem? Just
for the record, MBM5 ALWAYS reports my CPU temperature at 61 degrees
C, regardless of everything, although the BIOS reckons it's about 35
degrees C (and it also changes occasionally).

Does anyone know whether AGP 4x and AGP 8x demand different amounts of
power?

Cheers.
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 9:11:55 AM

It would stand to reason that AGP 8X would use more power since it's at a
higher frequency.

>Does anyone know whether AGP 4x and AGP 8x demand different amounts of
>power?
>
>Cheers.

May 31, 2004 3:48:34 PM

Well, I've finished my tests, and the problem only occurs for AGP 8x.
I've never had any problems with AGP 4x. I suspect the AGP 8x problem
may be power-related, but I can't prove it. I've decided to stick with
using AGP 4x rather than buying a new motherboard, because I can't be
sure that would solve my problem (i.e. it could just be that my
graphics card is faulty).

That's about it. Thank you to everyone who has helped me.

Cheers.

wblane@aol.combotizer (Wblane) wrote in message news:<20040530011155.05486.00000158@mb-m17.aol.com>...
> It would stand to reason that AGP 8X would use more power since it's at a
> higher frequency.
>
> >Does anyone know whether AGP 4x and AGP 8x demand different amounts of
> >power?
> >
> >Cheers.
>

> -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 6:31:47 PM

Fish Wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I installed my new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Hercules 3D Prophet) graphics
> card recently and I've been having a few problems with it. AFAIK
> everything is fine when using normal apps, but when I play 3D games my
> system will freeze after about 30 minutes. I thought this might be an
> overheating problem, but I'm not sure now. I don't know whether I need
> a new graphics card, motherboard, power supply or what? Here's my
> system spec and what I've tried so far...
>
> CPU: Athlon 2400XP @ 2GHz
> MB: PC Chips M848A (Rev: 2.1) (SIS chipset)
> RAM: 512 Mb (2100)
> OS: XP with SP1
> 450 W PSU QTEC
>
> I have the same board and the same problem in agpx8.Runs fine in x4
> though.
> have tried lots of things to no avail. I believe it to be a
> compatability problem because on the m848a board driver disc is a list
> of compatible cards and they all seem to be GeForce. I did run a
> GeForce FX 5200 @ agpx8 and never had any problems with it.
> Hope this stops you worrying about getting a new mboard.
> Rich

rich3d2003
!