Half Life 1 Puzzle question

I'm playing HL1 for the first time. I know, I know . . . but I'm the guy
who didn't see Star Wars, either.

My question is: Who here figured out the Silo (in the Blast Pit level)
totally by themselves, without looking at a hint or asking a friend? I'm
referring specifically to the part where you have to turn on the huge silo
fan and jump out into the airstream to get to the top of the Silo and turn
on Oxygen and Fuel? I mean, really . . . I floundered in and around that
damn puzzle for 3 days, until I finally broke my golden rule and looked up a
hint. I can honestly say that I would have NEVER, NEVER, NEVER thought to
jump out into thin air above that fan. I would never have finished the game
(and still might not, who knows?); I would have just run around that silo
forever.

Yes, I noticed the top of the silo was boarded up, which is a sure sign that
I'd have to smash it with my crowbar, but it never once occured to me that
my way up there would be riding a wave of upward pressure.

FWIW, even 5 years after its release, I'm still finding it to be an awesome
single-player experience. Even the AI is better than most that has followed
it.

jakesnake
16 answers Last reply
More about half life puzzle question

    Well, knowing me, I probably *fell* and figured it out by accident ;p

    "jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > I'm playing HL1 for the first time. I know, I know . . . but I'm the guy
    > who didn't see Star Wars, either.
    >
    > My question is: Who here figured out the Silo (in the Blast Pit level)
    > totally by themselves, without looking at a hint or asking a friend? I'm
    > referring specifically to the part where you have to turn on the huge silo
    > fan and jump out into the airstream to get to the top of the Silo and turn
    > on Oxygen and Fuel? I mean, really . . . I floundered in and around that
    > damn puzzle for 3 days, until I finally broke my golden rule and looked up
    > hint. I can honestly say that I would have NEVER, NEVER, NEVER thought to
    > jump out into thin air above that fan. I would never have finished the
    game
    > (and still might not, who knows?); I would have just run around that silo
    > forever.
    >
    > Yes, I noticed the top of the silo was boarded up, which is a sure sign
    that
    > I'd have to smash it with my crowbar, but it never once occured to me that
    > my way up there would be riding a wave of upward pressure.
    >
    > FWIW, even 5 years after its release, I'm still finding it to be an
    awesome
    > single-player experience. Even the AI is better than most that has
    followed
    > it.
    >
    > jakesnake

    "jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > I'm playing HL1 for the first time. I know, I know . . . but I'm the guy
    > who didn't see Star Wars, either.
    >
    > My question is: Who here figured out the Silo (in the Blast Pit level)
    > totally by themselves, without looking at a hint or asking a friend?

    Everyone but you, it seems.......*grin*

    Look at the entire scene. The answers will come to you. Ask: "Why is this
    here?" a lot. The more into the game you get, the easier the answers
    become.

    Firewalker

    Firewalker wrote:
    > "jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm playing HL1 for the first time. I know, I know . . . but I'm the guy
    >>who didn't see Star Wars, either.
    >>
    >>My question is: Who here figured out the Silo (in the Blast Pit level)
    >>totally by themselves, without looking at a hint or asking a friend?
    >

    > Everyone but you, it seems.......*grin*
    >
    > Look at the entire scene. The answers will come to you. Ask: "Why is this
    > here?" a lot. The more into the game you get, the easier the answers
    > become.
    >

    > Firewalker

    Yup. Took me a while but I think that was my first introduction to
    those type of puzzles. It's second nature to look around for those kind
    of things now. I'm currently doing that with Riddick. Shaun

    obviously--you are an ass not to know to jump into the fan. You are
    dumb--that is like the only thing that makes sense--like u cant see the open
    door after u shoot or throw grenades upwards?
    Definatly ur first time playing

    "jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > I'm playing HL1 for the first time. I know, I know . . . but I'm the guy
    > who didn't see Star Wars, either.
    >
    > My question is: Who here figured out the Silo (in the Blast Pit level)
    > totally by themselves, without looking at a hint or asking a friend? I'm
    > referring specifically to the part where you have to turn on the huge silo
    > fan and jump out into the airstream to get to the top of the Silo and turn
    > on Oxygen and Fuel? I mean, really . . . I floundered in and around that
    > damn puzzle for 3 days, until I finally broke my golden rule and looked up
    > hint. I can honestly say that I would have NEVER, NEVER, NEVER thought to
    > jump out into thin air above that fan. I would never have finished the
    > game
    > (and still might not, who knows?); I would have just run around that silo
    > forever.
    >
    > Yes, I noticed the top of the silo was boarded up, which is a sure sign
    > that
    > I'd have to smash it with my crowbar, but it never once occured to me that
    > my way up there would be riding a wave of upward pressure.
    >
    > FWIW, even 5 years after its release, I'm still finding it to be an
    > awesome
    > single-player experience. Even the AI is better than most that has
    > followed
    > it.
    >
    > jakesnake

    Played hl1 when it first came out, hadn't touched it again until hl2. Now
    again going through it, but on an old lap that doesn't have seperate
    graphics card so it's kind of fuzzy. I did learn early on in these types of
    games to slow down and figure out why things are here, except with the area
    you are in to this point, I got stumped here also, just figuring out what to
    do with the alien tentalcles and gettingto all the spots. It's just as much
    fun figuring out what to do as it is trying to go as fast and far as
    possible.

    Jim

    >> Look at the entire scene. The answers will come to you. Ask: "Why is
    >> this here?" a lot. The more into the game you get, the easier the
    >> answers become.
    >
    > Yup. Took me a while but I think that was my first introduction to those
    > type of puzzles. It's second nature to look around for those kind of
    > things now. I'm currently doing that with Riddick. Shaun

    Another gamer is born!

    I did it without hints... I too got frustrated after a couple of hours
    and tried to commit suicide by jumping into the fan... Was really
    suprised when it took me upwards...

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:18:08 GMT, "jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm playing HL1 for the first time. I know, I know . . . but I'm the guy
    >who didn't see Star Wars, either.
    >
    >My question is: Who here figured out the Silo (in the Blast Pit level)
    >totally by themselves, without looking at a hint or asking a friend? I'm
    >referring specifically to the part where you have to turn on the huge silo
    >fan and jump out into the airstream to get to the top of the Silo and turn
    >on Oxygen and Fuel? I mean, really . . . I floundered in and around that
    >damn puzzle for 3 days, until I finally broke my golden rule and looked up a
    >hint. I can honestly say that I would have NEVER, NEVER, NEVER thought to
    >jump out into thin air above that fan. I would never have finished the game
    >(and still might not, who knows?); I would have just run around that silo
    >forever.
    >
    >Yes, I noticed the top of the silo was boarded up, which is a sure sign that
    >I'd have to smash it with my crowbar, but it never once occured to me that
    >my way up there would be riding a wave of upward pressure.
    >
    >FWIW, even 5 years after its release, I'm still finding it to be an awesome
    >single-player experience. Even the AI is better than most that has followed
    >it.
    >
    >jakesnake

    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
    the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
    and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in
    the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
    and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

    jakesnake66 wrote:

    > Yes, I noticed the top of the silo was boarded up, which is a sure sign that
    > I'd have to smash it with my crowbar, but it never once occured to me that
    > my way up there would be riding a wave of upward pressure.

    I think i half discovered it by accident... I jumped off the ladder and
    noticed a far slower descent than i was expecting... back on the ladder
    again I took the plunge, and to my relief, I was going upwards :)

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    In article <jegbt05bqeggku119oesj2glt4ugqglfgq@4ax.com>, Cannon Fodder
    <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote:

    > I did it without hints... I too got frustrated after a couple of hours
    > and tried to commit suicide by jumping into the fan... Was really
    > suprised when it took me upwards...

    :D Nice one.

    I don't remember the length of time that section took, but I do know I
    didn't once look at a walkthrough, even after the millionth time of
    dying at the hands of the giant baby (who knew you could *shoot* those
    teleporter energy blasts!!)...

    Light bulb moment.

    ___
    Neil
    AKA HighVis

    you'll quickly find yourself talking and nobody talkin back curtis.

    "Curtis" <Nick92@access4less.net> wrote in message
    > obviously--you are an ass not to know to jump into the fan. You are
    > dumb--that is like the only thing that makes sense--like u cant see
    > the open door after u shoot or throw grenades upwards?
    > Definatly ur first time
    > playing
    > "jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm playing HL1 for the first time. I know, I know . . . but I'm
    >> the guy who didn't see Star Wars, either.
    >>
    >> My question is: Who here figured out the Silo (in the Blast Pit
    >> level) totally by themselves, without looking at a hint or asking a
    >> friend? I'm referring specifically to the part where you have to
    >> turn on the huge silo fan and jump out into the airstream to get to
    >> the top of the Silo and turn on Oxygen and Fuel? I mean, really . .
    >> . I floundered in and around that damn puzzle for 3 days, until I
    >> finally broke my golden rule and looked up a
    >> hint. I can honestly say that I would have NEVER, NEVER, NEVER
    >> thought to jump out into thin air above that fan. I would never
    >> have finished the game
    >> (and still might not, who knows?); I would have just run around that
    >> silo forever.
    >>
    >> Yes, I noticed the top of the silo was boarded up, which is a sure
    >> sign that
    >> I'd have to smash it with my crowbar, but it never once occured to
    >> me that my way up there would be riding a wave of upward pressure.
    >>
    >> FWIW, even 5 years after its release, I'm still finding it to be an
    >> awesome
    >> single-player experience. Even the AI is better than most that has
    >> followed
    >> it.
    >>
    >> jakesnake

    I actually got a friend hooked on HL. He'd call me in the middle of the
    night whenever he was stuck, and the fan is the one section that he had
    trouble getting. His point was they should have given him some sort of
    hint. I think they should have included a weak section of ladder, a
    collapsing door way, or a one-way ledge (jump down, and can't climb back up)
    so that the only way out will be to eventually jump. I remember hitting F6
    before giving that one a shot for the first time myself!

    "Curtis" <Nick92@access4less.net> wrote in message
    > obviously--you are an ass not to know to jump into the fan. You are
    > dumb--that is like the only thing that makes sense--like u cant see the
    open
    > door after u shoot or throw grenades upwards?
    > Definatly ur first time
    playing

    Damn, I'm busted. And I thought I'd done a good job hiding my stupidity.
    I'm still amazed you figured out that I'm an ass, though. You must really
    be smart, your pathetic grammer, spelling, punctuation, and top-posting
    notwithstanding.

    Oh, and Happy New Year . . . prick.

    jakesnake

    HeHe... Luv it... Good job jake.... Yer a righteous dude... Ya can be
    my wingman anytime....

    "Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote in message
    > HeHe... Luv it... Good job jake.... Yer a righteous dude... Ya can be
    > my wingman anytime....

    Hey, thx for the back, CF. Look forward to seeing you more here as I delve
    into the world that is HL!!

    jakesnake

    "Neil Jones" <neil@designumbrella.com> wrote in message
    > In article <47HBd.241$iu5.37@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, jakesnake66
    > <jake@lycos.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Damn, I'm busted. And I thought I'd done a good job hiding my
    stupidity.
    > > I'm still amazed you figured out that I'm an ass, though. You must
    really
    > > be smart, your pathetic grammer, spelling, punctuation, and top-posting
    > > notwithstanding.
    >
    > Nicely put, Jake - have 5 'de-cloaking' points and welcome to aghl. :)
    > Hope you're still enjoying your first HL1 run...

    Thanks, HighVis! That made my Sunday morning.

    Enjoying my first HL1 run?? Are you kidding? I'm hooked.
    Absofreakinlutely hooked. I came to this crazy game via computer building
    (as a part of my voip/data networking biz). I was more and more being asked
    to build "gaming" machines. By the time, however, DX8 was the standard, so
    I had to build machines for MOHAA and BF1942. I kept hearing about HL, but
    it wasn't a consideration, since an MX440 was about the weakest video card I
    used, which on a P3 or AMD Thunderbird/Palamino/T'bred would play that gen
    of games with ease. I didn't play games myself until I got interested in
    Black Hawk Down while testing a new machine I'd built. So my gameplay was
    from that point forward. A few months ago I picked up the HL Platinum pack
    out of curiosity, and then I made the mistake of playing it (using the
    high-def mod from the Blue Shift cd). The cool part is that I get to play
    it after all the hype, and after playing graphically-advanced games like Far
    Cry. What I cannot get over is that HL holds up. It does not feel
    anachronistic (www.dictionary.com, Curtis). To the contrary, it feels
    advanced, even by "today's" standards. The thinking behind the game
    absolutely stands out, and I cannot get over the AI. I mean, why is
    Novalogic's AI so incredibly bad, when excellent AI was possible in '99?

    Anyway, I'm having a blast, and I hope to get to know you good guys here a
    bit better. I'm sure HL2 will be next for me.

    jakesnake

    > "Neil Jones" <neil@designumbrella.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <47HBd.241$iu5.37@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, jakesnake66
    >> <jake@lycos.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Damn, I'm busted. And I thought I'd done a good job hiding my
    >>> stupidity. I'm still amazed you figured out that I'm an ass,
    >>> though. You must really be smart, your pathetic grammer, spelling,
    >>> punctuation, and top-posting notwithstanding.
    >>
    >> Nicely put, Jake - have 5 'de-cloaking' points and welcome to aghl.
    >> :) Hope you're still enjoying your first HL1 run...
    >>

    > Thanks, HighVis! That made my Sunday morning.
    >
    > Enjoying my first HL1 run?? Are you kidding? I'm hooked.
    > Absofreakinlutely hooked. I came to this crazy game via computer
    > building (as a part of my voip/data networking biz). I was more and
    > more being asked to build "gaming" machines. By the time, however,
    > DX8 was the standard, so I had to build machines for MOHAA and
    > BF1942. I kept hearing about HL, but it wasn't a consideration,
    > since an MX440 was about the weakest video card I used, which on a P3
    > or AMD Thunderbird/Palamino/T'bred would play that gen of games with
    > ease. I didn't play games myself until I got interested in Black
    > Hawk Down while testing a new machine I'd built. So my gameplay was
    > from that point forward. A few months ago I picked up the HL
    > Platinum pack out of curiosity, and then I made the mistake of
    > playing it (using the high-def mod from the Blue Shift cd). The cool
    > part is that I get to play it after all the hype, and after playing
    > graphically-advanced games like Far Cry. What I cannot get over is
    > that HL holds up. It does not feel anachronistic
    > (www.dictionary.com, Curtis). To the contrary, it feels advanced,
    > even by "today's" standards. The thinking behind the game absolutely
    > stands out, and I cannot get over the AI. I mean, why is Novalogic's
    > AI so incredibly bad, when excellent AI was possible in '99?
    >
    > Anyway, I'm having a blast, and I hope to get to know you good guys
    > here a bit better. I'm sure HL2 will be next for me.
    >
    > jakesnake

    Hey, go on and just enjoy your Half-Life... HL2 will be there when
    you're done.

Video Games