TV Wonder PCI Installation Problem

Hi guys, my pc crashed last week and I had to reformat. I'm trying to
install my PCI TV wonder and am having a couple of problems.

The Windows Media Encoder does not complete it's install, it hangs at the
very end. Then if Windows looks for the drivers to install the TV wonder it
says it can't find 'atibtcap.sys' I can't find the file anywhere on my
system, even as a hidden file. I have XP home. Done all upgrades, DirectX
9.0b. The files are downloaded from the ATI support site except I'm using
version 7.9 of the Media Center, not the newer version on the website (9.0).

Before the crash it was working just fine, with the same pc. Is it possible
that a windows update could have caused this. Any help would be great.
Thanks.

On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:26:42 -0400, "enjay"
<n.mcfarlane@REMOVEsympatico.ca> wrote:

>Hi guys, my pc crashed last week and I had to reformat. I'm trying to
>install my PCI TV wonder and am having a couple of problems.
>
>The Windows Media Encoder does not complete it's install, it hangs at the
>very end. Then if Windows looks for the drivers to install the TV wonder it
>says it can't find 'atibtcap.sys' I can't find the file anywhere on my
>system, even as a hidden file. I have XP home. Done all upgrades, DirectX
>9.0b. The files are downloaded from the ATI support site except I'm using
>version 7.9 of the Media Center, not the newer version on the website (9.0).
>
>Before the crash it was working just fine, with the same pc. Is it possible
>that a windows update could have caused this. Any help would be great.
>Thanks.

Just a thought, enjay, but when doing a clean install of an OS, I
usually take out all cards but the videocard, install the OS, chipset
drivers, DirectX and videocard drivers (and any other tweaks), and
then install the other cards one at a time. I've never had one, but I
would think a TV Wonder card would certainly be best installed this
way.

In addition, you did remember to install your chipset drivers first
thing?

patrickp